Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pheramone spray?

TacoGrl
February 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, I know I spelled it wrong :wall:

For those who have used it, how much am I supposed to use? The instructions are of course very vague...

I am trying to get Seth to explore his crate in prep for the follow-up with the vet at the end of the month...Messina's scent is in there, but sadly it isn't working. :rolleyes: I would also like to spray it on me...if that might help him feel more comfortable... He is coming along, but it has been a month (I know a month isn't that long) and he is still for the most part scared of direct contact with me...he does sit and stare at me a lot and takes food out of my hand...I thought maybe the spray on me might help him just that little bit more, but I don't know how much or how little is appropriate. :shrug:

14+kitties
February 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Just a short one to two second spray under his chin or on his collar will do. It doesn't take much. I watched a vet spray it under Kitty McKat's chin when we took him in for a checkup. Is it Feliway?

Good luck.

TacoGrl
February 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Just a short one to two second spray under his chin or on his collar will do. It doesn't take much. I watched a vet spray it under Kitty McKat's chin when we took him in for a checkup. Is it Feliway?

Good luck.

Yes it is Feliway.

So I spray it on HIM? Thx...that was the last place I thought to spray it LOL! Yes, I have a lot to learn it seems! :rolleyes:

sugarcatmom
February 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure spraying it ON him is such a good idea. Spraying a collar that he wears would be preferable, or spraying a cloth and wiping it on him could work. Most cats don't actually like getting sprayed with stuff and this has large potential to backfire.

Jim Hall
February 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
the spray helps but just a bit try putting something he has been laying on in the carrier lol "sites and stares at me" 2 yrs on ,DU still does that

14+kitties
February 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
The vet sprayed it on KMK's chin/blanket area so he could smell it. I would think for Seth on his collar would be a good start. Or, as SCM says, on a towel and then wipe it on him. Especially if he is skittish. He probably wouldn't like the noise of the spray. I really hope it works for him.

If you want him to explore his carrier....... is it one of the ones you can take apart? If it is then take it apart and let him use the sections as a sleeping area. Put a blanket on it and put it in an area he likes to sleep in. If you put the parts side by side Seth and Messina may each use half. Then a few days before you are ready to take him to the vet put it back together. He may see it as less of a threat that way.
My daughter did this with her cat. Eve was very skittish when they first got her. It worked very well for her.

TacoGrl
February 17th, 2009, 10:54 PM
That is an excellent idea to take the carrier apart...thx :) Right now, the inside blanket is on the top and Messina sleeps on it sometimes when I am at the computer. Seth has come in and sniffed at it a couple of times, but leaves it alone past that...no hissing or anything...my little man saves that for me! :frustrated:

totallyhip
February 17th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I use it on my dogs. WE have a plug in and also it comes in collar form. I also have the spray and spray it on their blankets in their crate or in the car if we go for long road trips.

Tundra_Queen
February 18th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Hi
You do not spray it on the cat or you! You spray Feliway on the inside of the carrier half an hour before he has to go in. Also if u keep the carrier out so he can explore it at will he will get use to it.

Spray it 8 inches up on the wall, nose height. You can spray it on couches too or wherever u want him to be comfortable with. One spray last 12 hrs.

Debbie