Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Schnauzer skin disorders

MiniSchnauzer
August 3rd, 2004, 10:46 AM
HELP! Our 6 yr old Miniture Schnauzer insistantly scratches and chews herself until she is raw or till she draws blood! We have tried changing her resting and sleeping areas with different fabrics with no luck...we have tried every diet imaginable from Hypoallergenic from the VET, and Specialty Fish and Potatoes from the VET to strictly vegitarian with no treats!!! Nothing seems to help other than steriods perscribed by the VET for temporary releif...even then after a period of time she reverts to the scratching and chewing even on the pills!!! It is so frustrating, and we feel helpless!! We have talked to many others that have had the same problems with their Miniature Schnauzers and their vets diagnostic has been everything from Cancer to Ezemia!!
Please HELP!! Does anyone have any realistic suggestions other than spending mega $$$'s to take our poor dog to a pet psychologist!! and have her tested for allergies!

Lucky Rescue
August 3rd, 2004, 11:15 AM
Here is a site with a wealth of info about schnauzers, with all kinds of allergy info.

Hope it helps!
Schnauzers (http://www.simplyschnauzer.net/sshnhealth.html)

Luba
August 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM
Try adding fish oil and vitamin e to your dogs food. Increasing the immune system is the best way to avoid conditions like this and many others. Supplements do work and work well. Give them a try and get some shark cartildge while you're at it, great immune booster.

You can also TRY to take your dog OFF any and all purchased processed foods, even from the vet. Home cook for your dog for atleast a week or two to see if there is a difference, while adding the supplements to the food.

Your answer is then allergy and supplement difficiency.

If you want to try to home cook let me know and I can give you suggestions.
Just dont' use anything greasy/fatty like ham/bacon/beef grease.
Chicken and Turkey and fish are best alternatives.
1/3 protein 1/3 carbs 1/3 veggies plus supplements.

My westie had horrible skin problems like your dog too and the supplements worked within a week ;)

Princesss04
August 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM
Hey Luba where can I find shark cartildge at? I know you keep saying that it builds their immune system and I thought that this might be a good way to get my puppies immune system going since the Parvo!

Luba
August 3rd, 2004, 08:22 PM
You can get it at your local health food store :D

It is a wonderful tool for boosting the immune system, as are some other supplements like Vitamin E and Fish oils...esp for doggies :D

Give pup lots of fresh foods vs store bought dog food.

Wonderful idea , parvo sucks :(

MiniSchnauzer
August 10th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Hi Luba...thank you so much for your feedback! I am currently supplimenting her diet with Vitamin E and an Omega 3 for the fish oils, but I will definately look into getting some of the shark cartildge. Do you have a website, or any recomendations for books relating to home cooking for my dog. I have read that it is crutial that you provide the right mix of foods with the right quantity or else you will do more harm than good. Let me know as I was considering it as another thing to try.

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2004, 09:41 AM
MANY people swear by a raw diet to clear up skin/stomach problems.

This will get you started.
Raw diet (http://p205.ezboard.com/fdogcommunityfrm2.showMessage?topicID=3.topic)

goldenblaze
August 14th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Give pup lots of fresh foods vs store bought dog food.

Luba

When you talk about fresh food for boosting the immune system what type of food do you mean? Sorry if that is a dumb question but I am kind of new to here and might of missed it if you already explained. :o

Thanks

enthomas
September 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hello, I am have been grooming dogs for 4 years and I have seen all kinds of skin conditions that you could think of and then some. I have a mini schanuzer who is also sensitive to a lot things. I have had lots of improvement is her itchy skin by using Head and Shoulder (regular). I also use it on some of my clients. Just make sure that you rinse it really well. I hope that this helps. :dog: :)

crazydays
September 8th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Hi- skin problems are awful. Check out the Solid Gold website. The have a product called Seameal. They are very impressed with success in helping address skin issues. My Standard Schnauzer is unable to use it because of Kelp allergies. My ESS pup is on it and her skin and coat are gorgeous.

Good luck ok

www.solidgoldhealth.com

AnnabeleTrouble
August 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
My dog is a 10 year old Miniature Schnauzer. Over the last couple of years i have noticed her back breaking out in bumpy spots that look suspiciously like blackheads. If I squeeze them (gross, I know, but..) they squeeze out a lot like blackheads do as well. I know that schnauzers are not a breed of dog that is prone to canine acne, and so I'm wondering what this might be, or if there's anything I can do to cure it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :dog:

TracieB
February 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Your dog probably has Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome. It's basically just hair follicles that are blocked by an excess of skin oils and keratin, not much different from the blackheads that people get. My dog tootles was diagnosed with this after a skin biopsy, even though she's not a schnauzer. The vet said it's not really curable or even uncomfortable for the dog unless they become infected. The best thing I've found is to use a stridex pad a few times a week on her skin. Hope this helps