Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog needs a good home

WilliamT
August 3rd, 2004, 10:35 AM
I have a shepard mix that unfortunatley cant come to live in our new rental unit. She is 2 1/2 years old, beautiful short fur with total shepard looks. She is very strong for her size. She is probably considered a medium dog because she is petite for a shepard (only about 50 pounds) She needs a mature environment (no little children) and she is very fast and protective. She is partialy trained too. Please email me if your interested... in the burlington area.

Luba
August 3rd, 2004, 12:54 PM
When you say no young children is your dog not good with children and if so what happens?? Aggression/domination?

Can you pls post a picture or two of your dog.

Also, why can't you keep her? You're not allowed pets in a new rental? Maybe you can look for housing that allows you to take your dog with you.

heidiho
August 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM
Partionally trained,did you say she is 2 years old??? What is she trained on??

WilliamT
August 4th, 2004, 09:41 AM
well she will growl when children go near her food and when she gets excited shell jump not knowing her own strength and once a neighbors son got knocked down...wasnt serious. So we feel it is best if she went to a home with adults and maybe teeanaged children.
Partially trained meaning all the basics, sit, stay, lie down, come, shake paw, jump up and upstairs/downstairs. my eldest daugther has been teaching her to jump over obstacles and walk along logs.

sammiec
August 4th, 2004, 09:46 AM
well she will growl when children go near her food and when she gets excited shell jump not knowing her own strength and once a neighbors son got knocked down...wasnt serious. So we feel it is best if she went to a home with adults and maybe teeanaged children.
Partially trained meaning all the basics, sit, stay, lie down, come, shake paw, jump up and upstairs/downstairs. my eldest daugther has been teaching her to jump over obstacles and walk along logs.

Does her "partial training" include house training?

WilliamT
August 4th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Here are some pics i just took so they are up to date.

heidiho
August 4th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Have you had her since she was a pup??She is adorable,i would love an older dog,but live to far.

lauriem
August 4th, 2004, 03:56 PM
She is beautiful,, you should consider keeping her.
Laurie

Luba
August 4th, 2004, 07:08 PM
cant come to live in our new rental unit

Is there a reason you didn't look for a place you can take the dog??? :(

WilliamT
August 5th, 2004, 01:31 PM
well yes she is completely house trained....and it was short notice to move...40 days...we are moving at the end of this month to a house and i really dont want to put her in the pound.....my daughter said look for someone willing to take her...so thats why im here. Yes we had her since she was a pup from a pet shop...she was so sad that we had to buy her.

Also there werent very many choices for rentals...the only townehouse that accepted dogs never responded.....but we were accepted for the house so we had to take it...

Luba
August 5th, 2004, 10:59 PM
I 'may' have someone interested
please check your private messages.

Luba
August 6th, 2004, 11:28 PM
I didn't hear back from you as of yet, did you rehome the dog ?

WilliamT
August 7th, 2004, 04:08 PM
nope not yet. And the end of the month is fast approaching, so im putting a post in the buy and sell. I though i had another good picture but i guess i dont sorry....

sammiec
August 7th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Has this dog been put on Petfinder yet?

Lucky Rescue
August 7th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Luba mentioned she may have someone interested. Anything come of that?

Get a couple GOOD pics of her, and I can put her on my Petfinder site for you.

What do you mean by "protective"? Is she aggressive with people?

WilliamT
August 8th, 2004, 05:00 PM
shes not aggressive with people per say. She just will bark when she sees strangers...but she would never bite or snarl. Just like if its night time and she hears a noise at the door or in the yard she investigate and will bark if she feels the family is threatened. Like I said though children cant go near her food or she will growl, not adults though. Here is another pic ...it was in my recycling bin for some reason...and i think its pretty good too?

Lucky Rescue
August 8th, 2004, 06:02 PM
"Alarm" barking is completely normal and most dogs do it.

Would you say she should not go to a home with kids under 5? What age kids is she o.k. with?

Give me your email addy and I'll put her on my Petfinder site.

What's her name?

WilliamT
August 8th, 2004, 09:33 PM
well if the child is told not to go near the dogs food and not to be too hyper around her ( to avoid jumping) then i would say children over 10 is ok. It all depends on the child(ren).

Luba
August 8th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Yes what is her name? AND I'm trying to get in touch with the individual that was looking for a dog like this but they may be away and I only have an email acct for them at this time.

There is two teenage children in the home I believe and they do go away on weekends to a trailer, they have a nice home and they love dogs.

I'm gonna keep on trying. If you decide to rehome on your own PLEASE do an adoption contract, a home visit and check a vet reference if you don't know the people.

Luba
August 8th, 2004, 09:36 PM
The file name is Sierra is that her name ? :D It's a nice name.

WilliamT
August 8th, 2004, 09:42 PM
her name is Sierra and right now she is looking to go outside. I ask her if she has to go outside and shell come and look at me questioningly then I'll say speak, and she barks to say, "I have to go now!"

Lucky Rescue
August 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM
These type dogs seem to get adopted VERY quickly on my Petfinder site, so I'll be glad to list Sierra ASAP. I'm sure she'll get a wonderful home!!:)

Of course she is spayed?

Luba
August 9th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Actually LR I just found out that she isn't spayed. I sent him a link to where he can get referred to a low cost spay clinic near him. Hopefully he'll do the responsible thing and get Sierra spayed.

We all know what horrible things can happen as a result of rehoming an intact female :(

Pls get back and let me know what your final decision is on the spay. I truly truly hope you take this into full and complete consideration. A one time cost can save this dog years of suffering, neglect, abuse and countless numbers of litters sold for money but full of genetic problems and improper homes.

Lucky Rescue
August 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM
OH that's too bad!:( Since our goal is to cut DOWN on the number of homeless dogs, we can't possibly list an intact bitch and take the chance of creating MORE homeless dogs.

I'll have to remove my listing right now.

Why is a 2 1/2 yr old bitch not spayed? :confused: Don't you worry about pyometra and accidental pregnancies?

Luba
August 9th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Well lets just hope for the very best :D Sadie has her paws crossed and me my fingers.

I think this guy will realize he should spay her!

Luba
August 9th, 2004, 10:58 PM
I just wanted to update you, the individual I thought Sierra would be perfect for has to postpone adoption and will be unable to even consider adopting her.

I was wondering also if you gave any thought to what LR and I mentioned regarding spaying? Did you call the number I provided you?

Lucky Rescue
August 9th, 2004, 11:20 PM
That's too bad for this poor dog. Every dog from this board that I have posted on my Petfinder site has gotten a home.

I'm always shocked that ANYONE would be irresponsible and uncaring enough to to try and give away an unspayed mixed breed dog and contribute to the horrible overpopulation and slaughter of dogs in the shelters.

I also cannot believe that someone would turn down help at finding this dog a home because he won't do the right thing and have her spayed.

GSD mixes are a dime a dozen and being dumped in huge numbers.

chico2
August 10th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Just another very sad story about a beautiful dog,whatever will her fate be :(
I just wish the owner would try as desperatly as you,Lucky,Luba,but I suppose it's money he is not interested in spending,to make sure she has a better life :mad:

WilliamT
August 10th, 2004, 09:06 AM
You do not know me??? How do you even know I have the money to spay a dog???? DO you expect me to reveal my life story on here? Just to let anyone know their are some people that believe spaying or neutering animals is wrong and like taking away a part of their being. Im not saying I am....just to let you know...also I have had no problems at all, she has had periods once every three or four months but we just make sure she stays in one area (besides her outings) so their isnt any dripping on carpets. She is good that way. I cant believe the nerve of some people to try to judge others....there are extremists that would believe leashes are wrong and cruel, they would believe dog cates are wrong, they even think people that put clothes on little dogs as inhumane....it all depends on the person...

rexdoggieowner
August 10th, 2004, 09:21 AM
william..

i don't think that anyone was trying to hurt your feelings. just that some of the senior members that are on here ... they rescue animals for a living.. and see abandoned animals everyone who die because of people that couldn't care less!! NOT SAYING THAT YOU DON"T CARE ABOUT YOUR DOG... please don't take it like that.. i seems to me like you loved your dog tons!!!!!

and i think they get mad at people not spaying or neutering animals is because just incase your dog rans away by accident ( you can't help it..) and gets pregnant... that will be the outcome of unwanted puppies!! and we have so many of them in the world already :(

hope everything works out wiht you and your doggie :)

LavenderRott
August 10th, 2004, 09:27 AM
You are right, we don't know you.

What we do know is that it can be very easy to place a spayed/neutered dog. What we do know is that there are people out there who are just waiting for some lovely dog that is intact to breed and make plenty of money on her puppies. What we do know is that there are over 100,000 dogs listed on petfinder.

What we do know is that several people who have never met you or your dog have spent the last week of their time trying to find your dog a home.

sammiec
August 10th, 2004, 09:32 AM
I find it very insulting that you would lash out at these people for doing nothing but try and help!! They are taking time out of THEIR day to try and find a home for YOUR dog!!! :mad:
There is too much risk involved in trying to place a dog that is not spayed or neutered. Not to mention the health risks, but if you want to place this dog, weither you believe in it or not SHE MUST BE SPAYED. You might care for this dog and be "careful" about where she drips :rolleyes: or where she plays while in heat - can you garauntee that the next owner would? If you "loved and cared" for this dog in the first place she would be fixed and you would not be rehoming her to fit YOU! She has feelings too. She has a heart. She will wonder what she did wrong while you move on with your life, she will potentially be sitting in a shelter hoping that her next home will keep her warm and happy and that she never has to be in that place again. But once she's out of your hands, that's not your concern anymore.
I suggest that you rethink your attitude and consider what Luba and Lucky have been trying to do for you and your dog, it's only for HER safety and comfort....

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2004, 10:06 AM
I cant believe the nerve of some people to try to judge others....there are extremists that would believe leashes are wrong and cruel, they would believe dog cates are wrong, they even think people that put clothes on little dogs as inhumane....it all depends on the person...

And I can't believe the irresponsibility of some adult human beings who don't know how to care for a pet.

Intact bitches who are not bred are at risk for pyometra (do you know what that is??) uterine and mammary cancers, and unwanted litters. What does that have to do with putting clothes on dogs? I don't care if your dog is in an evening gown as long as she is not having yet more litters of unwanted mutts. Your ranting is bizarre and makes no sense. :confused:

No reasonable person would dump an intact bitch and if you do, you are likely to be directly responsible for yet more dogs dying and being dumped, the way you are dumping your dog.

Anyone who cannot afford to get a dog spayed within the last 2 years should never have gotten a dog. Pets cost money!

I could have gotten this dog a proper home where she could have been cared for and not dumped again. It seems WE care more about your dog than you do, since you won't lift a finger or spend a cent to try and get her rehomed.

I really couldn't care less about your feelings - I'm just trying to help this dog who was unlucky enough to end up with someone who does not care about her or try to protect her. You really should be ashamed of yourself.

mastifflover
August 10th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I have watching this thread and there are some people here working very hard to find your dog a loving home and you are not very appreciative of their efforts. I only adopt rescues and a lot of these dogs would not be in rescues and shelters if people would spay and neuter their pets. The reasons are simple pet overpopulation and health issues. Breeders also spay and neuter after there dogs have been bred and are no longer being used for breeding any longer. The rest of them are in shelters because people consider them disposable, gee lets have a baby get rid of the dog, I don't want to pay to take it to the vet, I don't have time anymore. I wish people would consider that dogs and cats have feelings too. They are not disposable is someone decided to get rid of their new baby and kept the dog I am sure people would be outraged yes this example is extreme but I hope it gets the point across. Personally I would choose my dog over most people that I meet anymore he loves me unconditonally, not just because I walk him and feed him.

heidiho
August 10th, 2004, 12:14 PM
William T,they are right about one thing,no one will take your dog is he or she is fixed,that is a fact.....It happend with my dog,and in no way were they gonna take him unless he was fixed first,and the rescue place i found only charged me $40.00 to have him fixed,rescue places have vets that work with them and help out.

chico2
August 10th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Wow,what happened?? I guess I was a little harsh :confused:
I suppose there is a difference in how much people"love"their animals,personally their is no chance in h*^#lI would ever dump my animals,I would live in a van,like the cat-lady here in Oakville :D
My cats are my responsability and will be until the end of their days,no matter what.

T.Williams,if you really want your beautiful dog to be rehomed into a good home,you would not hesitate to have her spayed,you owe her that much...
If you are mad at my comment,that's ok I don't care,but you definetly owe an apology to Lucky and Luba.
How can you look into Sierras beautiful eyes,condemning her to a very uncertain future,without the people she knows and trust :(
The least you can do is have her spayed,then doors can open for her and maybe a chance at a wonderful life.
Just think of the money you will save on dog-food and maybe there will be enough to do the right thing for poor Sierra.

glasslass
August 10th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Why, oh why, would you not do anything and everything to make it possible for her to have a good future? :confused: If I ever found myself in a position where I couldn't keep my dog, I would be willing to continue being financially responsible for him the rest of his life, just to insure the level of care. I can't imagine being in that kind of position. Any option that meant not being able to keep him would NOT be an option! You don't reinvent your family everytime your residence or life circumstances change. Your dog is a member of your family!

Luba
August 10th, 2004, 06:54 PM
This is very sad

I asked if you called the number for the LOW COST spay clinic. If you are tight on cash they will direct you somewhere that is cheaper then a regular vet.

These sort of places exsist so that animals can be altered to prevent illness and unwanted litters.

As for the 'some people don't believe in spaying' you told me yourself that your daughter does not believe in spaying thats why you haven't done it with Sierra and that you were actually going to BREED her because YOU thought it was healthier.

Please open your mind and be educated here for the DOGS sake, come down a notch or two.

It is healthier and safer for your dog to be altered.

Now, can we get back to that question. DID you call the number I provided you? Did you atleast find a place that will spay her at a LOW cost?

You can charge and adoption fee for her to cover the cost of this spay, did you think of that?

Adopting her out unaltered is very dangerous. And to go against what another member said . A LOT of people will take unaltered dogs, so that they can use them in puppy mills for BREEDING!!

We truly are trying to help, and no we don't know your situation .BUT we also didn't get you this dog, nor get you into the situation you are in .
HOWEVER we have been trying to help you.

So I know ask, what part of helping this dog are YOU doing? or do you plan on doing? This is a life that you've taken the responsibility for which was supposed to be it's entire life. This poor girl is going to be rehomed, and lets just make sure it's done in the best way possible.

I'm sorry my contact didn't work out. I am still keeping my eyes open for you. However, I need some cooperation on your part or I'll have to withdrawl my assistance.

Graphic images below

Realistically, this is where your unaltered dog could end up:

http://www.dachshund.org/Mill3.gif

http://www.rescuetheanimals.org/images/pages/200205161917221416.jpg
http://www.allbreed.net/chows/images/Life6a.JPG

Goldenmom
August 11th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Luba, could you please indicate when there are disturbing pictures on your posts? :(

Heather

rexdoggieowner
August 11th, 2004, 09:55 AM
luba, i was wondering as well where you got these pictures... i really haven't ever seen a puppy mill or BYB before... nor do i know that they are like.. ?i know they keep dogs in cages, and breed them.. thats about it, is there more to them ?

i want to do a mass mail out to eveyone that i know NOT too buy dogs/cats,, any pets from pet stores!! but i wanna include pictures ( people have to see it to believe it )

sammiec
August 11th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Rexy; if you type "puppy mill" or "back yard breeding" on Google, you're bound to find something...unfortunately...

Luba
August 11th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Heather I'm very sorry I ususally do, it was just a mistake that I left it out. Forgive me ?

Rex as Sam says go to your google/browser and type in puppy mill pictures and you will fnd more then enough.

I see no response from Sierra's family yet :( too bad. Poor girl, who knows what her fate will now be...sigh :mad:

Goldenmom
August 11th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Heather I'm very sorry I ususally do, it was just a mistake that I left it out. Forgive me ?

Rex as Sam says go to your google/browser and type in puppy mill pictures and you will fnd more then enough.

I see no response from Sierra's family yet :( too bad. Poor girl, who knows what her fate will now be...sigh :mad:

Of course I forgive you! Just a reminder.

Heather :p

badger
August 11th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Further to the above, would it be possible to just include the link to such pictures, rather than putting them in the message space? Call me a bleeding heart but they put me in such a STATE, I can hardly think. I know some people need to see them, but....

Goldenmom
August 11th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Further to the above, would it be possible to just include the link to such pictures, rather than putting them in the message space? Call me a bleeding heart but they put me in such a STATE, I can hardly think. I know some people need to see them, but....

Agreed......

Heather

Luba
August 11th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I left enough space so that you can scroll down, however the ones that 'NEED" to see it won't click on the links and therefore it would be useless to provide. I understand what you mean but maybe just scroll past them fast.

They disturb me also, more then you can imagine. But in some situations, it's necessary to get the point across.

WilliamT
August 12th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Ive never seen such horrifying pictures in my life.... But let me tell you at least this, I planned on screening anyone that responded to the ads I have placed. Further more if no one takes her by August 31st I will leave her with a friend for a month during which she will be fixed and placed on regular adoption. I have contacted the animal aid near me and they have a list of vets that work with them at discounted prices so once the move is over I will have the money for it (and the time) Well I'm off to work I would have responded yesterday but it was a matter of wake up work home eat sleep very full day....so sorry about that. Also I would like to thank everyone who is/has helped I understand it is your job to help people but sometimes your words can be harsh, I know the point you are trying to make with me and everyone else who could be in my shoes but I am a good owner not the best but still I do care about her well bieng and no I never heard of those illnesses except the cancer part. We had a family cat that was fixed14 years ago that died of a intestinal tumor... so we care. Ok i have got to go...PM me if you have anything to say... I dont even want to glimps at those pictures again.

sammiec
August 12th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Ive never seen such horrifying pictures in my life.... But let me tell you at least this, I planned on screening anyone that responded to the ads I have placed...... I understand it is your job to help people but sometimes your words can be harsh....

William, unfortunately you can plan to screen people and find a "great home" for Sierra BUT people can be exactly who you want them to be when they want something. If someone is interested in Sierra, they will do/say/act the way you want in order to get her. Adpoting her out intact is dangerous!

Those pictures that were here CAN happen to her!! What if you find a "great" family, but they then decide that Sierra is too much for them, or they are faced with a story similar to your own and they ahve to give the dog away, and they don't have any money to fix her either...They might not care as much as we hope and they give Sierra to anyone. THEN those people breed her over and over and over for money. Just because you might be comfortable with the people that you adopt her to, does NOT mean that she will be there for ever, right? Take you for example - she probably thought that you would be her forever home... :( This is something that you have to do for HER! Please find a way to have her spayed before she finds a new home.

Lucky Rescue
August 12th, 2004, 09:50 AM
I didn't see or look at the pics, but I have no need to.

Obviously WilliamT DOES need to see them, since he had no idea such things are common and that this can happen to his dog as well, since he wants to give her away intact. The only way to be sure an animal will be spayed/neutered is to do it yourself and be responsible! All the screening in the world won't stop the next owner from allowing this dog to get pregnant.

People who "don't believe in spaying" must believe in this kind of abuse, since this is all too often the result.

Sadly,some people NEED to be shocked and horrified to get the message across. And anyone who owns an intact bitch should find out about pyometra too!

If harsh words and horrid pics can stop just one person from contributing to this abuse, then it's worth it.

Luba
August 12th, 2004, 11:51 AM
All the screening in the world won't stop the next owner from allowing this dog to get pregnant.

Thank you LR

rexdoggieowner
August 12th, 2004, 12:18 PM
thanks for posting those pictures... if it wasn't for them... William might have never known...

Kate

Luba
August 13th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Just some more info on mills:

http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/what_is_a_puppy_mill.htm

Where do puppy mills get their breeding stock you might ask? Many of their dogs are bought at public auctions. Others are bought from people in duress trying to get rid of their dog in a hurry for a cheap price. A few are even stolen from their owners. Puppy mills are often changing the breeds they produce to meet current demand. Almost all puppy mills breed three or more breeds at once.

Spaying and neutering your own dogs are another crucial factor. A spayed or neutered dog is of no use to a puppy mill and will there for eliminate a reason for a puppy miller to steal your dog. Also if your dog is bred, even accidentally, each of their puppies, or their puppy's puppies have a risk of ending up in a puppy mill breeding program no matter how carefully you think you screened your puppy's buyers

WilliamT
August 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM
I WILL BE FIXING HER PRIOR TO ADOPTING! Based on the advice of many more knowledgable individuals on here... SO anyone seriously interested in adopting her must know she will be fixed before she comes to your home

Luba
August 15th, 2004, 02:00 PM
THAT makes me so happy :D Thank you for listening, reading and thinking this over properly.

glasslass
August 15th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Yeah! Some people do listen! :)

Luba
August 15th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Are you comfortable with the decision? Whats her surgical date? Were you able to find a low cost facility?

rexdoggieowner
August 16th, 2004, 08:46 AM
thank you for spaying her-- shows you care!! you have made the right decision :)

SnickersDoodle
August 19th, 2004, 12:12 AM
I have been reading numerous posting and seeing the same people bash on others. The people that come to this site come here for advice and help and maybe a little decent human nature. He does not have to spay his dog because you say so. Opinion is only opinion do not throw yours at others who do not ask and do not condemn because you dont see eye to eye. I understand that since he is trying to rehome the dog he should now have her spayed because the dogs fate is undetermined but while she was in his hands.. it was is in his hands. I lost my little girl when she went to get spayed and I will NEVER do it again. I have 3 dogs myself and I did not have any of them spayed. I will not. Its not that I didnt have the money, its that I dont have the strength to sit by and have them die. It was to hard the first time. I love my animals, I believe, more than I love myself. I believe they are not my "animals" they are my family, my best friends, and my heart. Do NOT post on this site and tell me that I love my animals any less because they are not spayed... DO NOT post on here and tell me that I am a horrible person. I will not be labeled because of arrogant others. You dont want homeless dogs, dont want animals in homes where they are loved but the family does not nec. have the money to always get them treatment because they have a scratch on their head. Which do you perfer? A homeless animal with no love at all and no attention to the afflictions they can obtain or a animal with all the love a human can muster but with out money to treat everything that ailes them? This is not a perfect world. You will never have it the way you dream. With every animal in a good home... with every animal with proper care. It will not happen. What we can do is give the animals that cross our path as much love and care as we can handle and love them with all our heart. Even as a person, a daughter to a wonderful woman, I didnt get all the treatment that I needed, not because she did not love me, but because she could not afford it. Today, I felt loved and am happy that I was loved as much as I was. So, with that in mind, I will not sit idly by and let anyone say that this man is a bad pet owner because he did not spay his pet and he loves them any less because of that. That is cruel and unfair.
Try having a little understanding for others and others situations. It would do a lot of good. I guess its true. Ignorance is bliss, Isnt it? ;)

Ps. Sorry about typos...

Kona Dawg
August 19th, 2004, 12:55 AM
When I was younger we also had a pet who did not wake up from the anesthetic
from his neuter surgery. This is fortunately a very uncommon thing. Throughout
my life (25 yrs) My imediate family has had/have 3 cat's, and 3 dog's (4 including mine) All have been altered, our first cat was the one who did not wake up.
I do have to admit that I had this fear in the back of my mind for every pet after
him who got the big snip, but truth be told, as long as there is blood work performed prior to surgery the odds are the same as for a human.

If you search out some of my previous post's you will find that I have come to disagree with a few things in the past. I must make it known that I find your post as the only one in this thread that I do not agree with.

William has had the open mind to allow himself to gain abit more knowledge before making a final decision. This is what I believe he posted for.

Sometimes you have to present someone with a paradigm shift for them to
fully understand a given situation, this may take some graphic examples
to achieve. I did not see anywhere somebody post that he is contributing to
puppy mills, byb. Only that it could be a distinct possibility for the future of his dog.

You love you pet's to death, for most here its beyond. This also get's extended to every animal for others. You are at far greater risks of being in the same situation of haveing a pet die if you do not get them fixed. While you have stated that you cannot fathum how people can try their hardest to convince others to do the absolute best for their animals, I cannot fathum how you will not do whats best for yours.

I appologize if you take this as a bashing, in reality its just an opinion.

- Chris

glasslass
August 19th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Nicely said Kona! Could not have said it any better.

SnickersDoodle
August 19th, 2004, 01:04 AM
I asked only one thing in my post and that was not for people to start their sad excuse for an agrument by stating that I dont love my pet. please give me something to work with.. that is NOT cutting it.. try again tiger

Kona Dawg
August 19th, 2004, 01:08 AM
once again, I ask that you search my previous post's.

You will find I am not trying to instigate anything.

If the welfare of animals is a sad excuse to you, then you have come across the wrong message board.

SnickersDoodle
August 19th, 2004, 01:14 AM
And once again may I add.. lets not say that I do not love my pets.. lets not try to make me feel like a bad pet owner, I will not be labeled as something so cleary far fetched. I have had one of my chihuahuas for 16 years and she was never altered and is still a healthy senior dog who is very happy. and Kona if this is as you say "only you opinion" leaving your opinions on the love I have for my pets out of it. I love my animals to "Death and beyond" as you would say. And I never said that people should not do the best for their animals, what I did say was that sometimes the best thing that someone can offer is their love. That may be all they have, but it something that alot of dogs/animals never recieve. So lets agree to disagree. I believe in abortion, would like to have a stab at that?

SnickersDoodle
August 19th, 2004, 01:20 AM
BTW when I said sad excuse.. read a little more carefully.. I said "sad excuse for an argument... that I dont love my pets" ... if you dont want to instigate anything dont challenge people by slying saying they dont love their pets as much as you do because they dont have the same ideas. Dont challenge them by saying they dont do their very best for their animals.. Dont say their not good pet owners.. some people may get defensive.

mastifflover
August 19th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Wellput Kona. I don't think people on here tell people to take ther dog to the vet for a scratch. But when someone posts my and asks about a dog that is obviously very ill and lethargic and is vomiting and they want to know what to do. Duh take the dog to the vet would you take your child to the doctor with these symptoms? Some people do not have a clue. And as far as spay and neutering goes yes sometimes an animal will die this is very rare. But more will die from testicular cancer and many other diseases by not neutering and spaying. These dogs that are fixed are useless to puppy mills and byb. So if you are not breeding you are being irresponsible,what if your dog gets out while in heat, another litter of unwanted pups that will get dumped at a shelter if they are lucky or just dumped.

Luba
August 19th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Snickers...

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your dog, thats very sad.

However, your fear is clouding your judgement.

Millions of pets have been spayed and neutered, your situation is more rare.

Aside from the issue of litters, Intact female dogs can become deathly ill with a very serious infection.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pyometra.html
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/pyo.html
Here's a real nasty problem . . . pyometra. The term means pus in the uterus. Any time a veterinarian is presented with a dog or cat suffering from pyometra the condition is considered serious and immediate surgery is nearly always indicated. This pus formation in the uterus results from infection, hormone imbalance or mucous buildup inside the uterus. Most dogs and cats suffering from pyometra are presented because of loss of energy, increased thirst and poor appetite. Plus a good tip-off would be a foul smelling, purulent (means pus) vaginal discharge. Most of the cases of pyometra I've seen in dogs occurred about six weeks after the bitch's last heat cycle. They may not look it on the outside, but on the inside these dogs are really sick! If that swollen, enlarged uterus happens to rupture internally, the dog will rapidly go into endotoxic shock and whatever the veterinarian does may not be enough to save the dog. The surgery is not a minor procedure. A patient with a uterus swollen with a foul and putrid soup, is simply carrying a bucket of poison that would eventually kill the cat or dog. Many of these patients require I.V. fluid therapy, antibiotics and nutritional support post-operatively. These pyometra patients, once recovered, act like puppies once their near death experience is over!

heidiho
August 19th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Well Put Snicker Doodle

Cactus Flower
August 19th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Snickers, would you mind showing us where anyone said you didn't love your pet?

Kona, I commend you on your mature and well written responses.

Luba
August 22nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Hi just checkin in to see if Sierra's been spayed yet :D

scooter375
August 28th, 2004, 01:02 AM
i agree with rex - we dont mean to be judgemental - an unspayed female is not only unsafe for the community, it is unsafe for the dog itself as a neutered female would be much gentler in temperment especially towards younger children. There is an agressive issue with unspayed female as they are just being territorial - an instinctive behavior

neutering not only benefits the community but also the animal itself

Babs
August 31st, 2004, 11:41 PM
Just getting to this now. Has this one found a home... or is it too late?

Luba
September 1st, 2004, 12:03 AM
Haven't heard back for awhile not sure.