Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy mill protester tackled by mall cops.

babymomma
February 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
This makes me love cheerleaders! I wish i could do something like this!

http://www.vegblog.org/archive/2009/02/09/protester-tackled-by-mall-cop-during-peaceful-protest/

Diamondsmum
February 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I dont think tackling a peaceful protester was right.. mall security was definately in the wrong.

had it been just the cheerleaders (protesting/cheering) would he have tackled them?

lUvMyLaB<3
February 14th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I don't see why they threw him on the ground like a mad man wielding a gun! He never touched the girls, but was getting angry and I think he took it out on the guy... I kinda have to like the way so many people walk out of that pet store, If ONE of those people were there to buy a puppy, I guess it is worth it, the poor protester guy probably agrees..

babymomma
February 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I dont think tackling a peaceful protester was right.. mall security was definately in the wrong.

had it been just the cheerleaders (protesting/cheering) would he have tackled them?

He definatly wouldnt have.

I agree DM, What ever happened to freedom of speech?

I really liked the fact that so many people left the pet store. And that the girls stood their groound.

CClover
February 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks for sharing the link!
It gives me a good idea for the next ''against puppy mill protest '' in Montreal next may...tee hee hee.

This is stupid : Mall are private property and when you go there you loose freedom of speach???
Hope they will go back with even more ppl (5 is not enough!)

Frenchy
February 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I agree DM, What ever happened to freedom of speech?

Yes EXACTLY , what happened to freedom of speech ? :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM
This is stupid : Mall are private property and when you go there you loose freedom of speach???
Hope they will go back with even more ppl (5 is not enough!)

I can't see the video, but it sounds like the security guy was way out of line. Here, at least, private security guards have to show great discretion as to whether they even touch a customer, much less tackle one.

Still CClover, that is exactly right--you cannot protest on private property without express permission. When the dog auction protest is on here, everyone has to stay out on the public right-of-way along the road. In the same way that you can't come up to someone's porch and picket their house by their door, you can't do it on private business property either. Think how you'd feel if your neighbor trespassed and interfered with getting in and out of your home or business, and you'll see why that's so.

It's well within first amendment rights, though--free speech isn't forbidden--you just need to respect other people's rights when you speak out.

ancientgirl
February 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Interesting how the one security guard seemed to be enjoying the 4 minute show in front of him by 4 young girls in short skirts, yet that poor sap says a few words and the guy immediately gets in his face.

That was just an excessive use of force. Unbelievable. I hope there are more people there protesting that place. I wonder how many security guards will be tackling then.

BenMax
February 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Just the fact that people where there to witness and now this video is circulating - it keeps this issue in the spotlight.

Good for the girls and the young man. I hope that this generations youth continue to do what they can and not sit on the sidelines wishing that they could do something when it is evident that they can. This is proof.

Us 'oldies' are less intimidated I guess as we continue to protest and vocalize regardless of where these protests take place. I have never seen however such force when the young fellow was not even involved in the can-can.

Melinda
February 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I have been asked numerous times to "please leave the store" (our local pet shop in a mall) *L* my hubby says "when you get arrested, don't call me to get you out"...but he would, we actually are waiting for me to be arrested, I have a friend at our local paper who is dying to do a story on it and my son is a free lance writer for the ottawa citizen.....I had a woman two years ago stop me and thank me for talking her into not buying a golden there, she went to a breeder and wanted to introduce me to her dog, and also told me her friend went behind her back to buy the dog she did want at the pet shop and that within 3 months it had passed away and the owner was now in a legal battle with the store....so any little thing possible to get the word out................

ancientgirl
February 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I know that these pet stores are 99.99% filled with puppy mill puppies, but I feel bad for these little animals.

Don't you feel like it's a catch 22? On the one hand you buy a pet in one of these stores and you are contributing to the very thing you want to stop. But on the other hand, what happens to these poor animals that don't get purchased? :sad:

BenMax
February 17th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I know that these pet stores are 99.99% filled with puppy mill puppies, but I feel bad for these little animals.

Don't you feel like it's a catch 22? On the one hand you buy a pet in one of these stores and you are contributing to the very thing you want to stop. But on the other hand, what happens to these poor animals that don't get purchased? :sad:

It is a catch 22 ancientgirl. These puppies are victims either way. It is for this reason that when someone says that they purchased from a petstore I really cannot start on my rant. I get it - I understand that these dogs are worthy of loving homes as well. It is the laws that need to be changed so that we are not morally pulled into different directions.

I would advocate to not purchase from a petstore because it is putting the demand there for the pups which continues this puppymill cycle.

In essence, it's the government that is to blame - they have allowed this to happen and they are playing on our emotions to line their pockets with our tax dollars.

CearaQC
February 17th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I couldn't even understand what those girls were saying. :shrug:

I'm against puppy mills also, but rest assured they will die out soon enough. The economy is crashing, people can't find jobs any more in many countries around the world. There's no money for food or basic necessities. If people can't afford to feed themselves, they sure as heck are not going to go out and buy a puppy. If the puppy mills aren't generating any profit, they will be abandoned, which is another set of problems in itself.

They don't show this stuff on mass media, but it's all over the internet. Videos of thousands of people lined up to receive free food from a food bank. Shanty towns full of tents and shacks of homeless people as a result of the housing collapse. And videos of various policing agencies ripping apart and destroying the shanty towns so then those people truly have no place to live. No job, no income, no house, no food. California is cutting off welfare checks. This is only the beginning and will spread across the USA like wildfire.

The state will suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants and other payments owed to Californians starting Feb. 1, Controller John Chiang announced Friday.

The payments to be frozen include nearly $2 billion in tax refunds; $300 million in cash grants for needy families and the elderly, blind and disabled; and $13 million in grants for college students.

Even if a budget agreement is reached by the end of this month, tax refunds and other payments could remain temporarily frozen. Chiang said a budget deal may not generate cash quickly enough to resume them immediately.

http://www.latimes.com/news/education/la-me-budget17-2009jan17,0,7513694.story

The economy is on the verge of total collapse, possibly within 2009.

People should be more worried about Obama's new "stimulus bill." No one got to read it before it was voted on. There are lots of little "extras" tossed in there that no one seems to be talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvnwOjDjnH4

The exact same thing happened with the Patriot Act. No one got to read it.

Canada is not immune to these economic problems, but is slightly protected due to the abundance of resources.

Diamondsmum
February 17th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Rise up Resist, Puppy mills should not exist-if you dont buy it then they cant supply it

I cant see puppy millls "dieing out soon"

I can see possibly people buying puppies then losing jobs then.. well The rescues coming in to save them.. It is a snow-ball effect because if the enconomy crashes then those who do Rescue work or even those who foster provide food/medical for these animals cant do those things and then who steps in?

Stop the Puppy Mills now, while our economy can somewhat handle it.

CClover
February 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
They say something like....

If you don't buy, they won't suply.

If there's no need, they won't breed.

Puppies are prisonners...

Support your local shelter

BenMax
February 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
They say something like....

If you don't buy, they won't suply.

If there's no need, they won't breed.

Puppies are prisonners...

Support your local shelter

So very true and so well put. Thank you CClover.:thumbs up

kandy
February 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Perhaps the difference of how the protesters are treated has more to do with what they were saying. The girls were chanting the same generic message "if there is no need, they won't breed", etc - letting the public reach their own conclusions whether the pups in this store are puppy mill dogs, whereas the guy hollers out that this store in particular is definitely selling puppy mill puppies. While we all know that they are selling mill puppies (or at least the likelihood is extremely high) wouldn't the man's statement be more slanderous in the eyes of the security guards? Still, I don't think his behavior warranted getting tackled, but there is a space there where the camera isn't on the security guard and the man, so its hard to say what really preceeded the tackle.