Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A great day at the races today

Gail P
February 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM
What a great day. Beautiful trail, great condition despite the mild rainy weather all this past week. Lots of work went into it, it was well groomed, just beautiful. It was our best run so far this season, the team felt like they were flying and had a nice strong finish, still raring to go. Day one puts us in 11th place out of 22 teams entered in the 4-dog class. Competitors came from the US and Quebec, as well as Ontario (and of course don't forget the Jamaican team, though for the time being they're staying locally)

My daughter had a wonderful day too. Her very first attempt at something more than a kid & mutt class (basically a 100 yard dash with one dog). Today she ran the 2-mile youth class with 2 dogs (Lightning and Flurry). It was a first for her and for Flurry as he's never raced before and he's basically still a pup, just 15 months old. They were amazing, although she said the sled tipped once she got back up and kept on and finished in 2nd place for today, out of 4 entries. The class was open to 2-dog or 3-dog teams and she was up against two 3-dog teams.

So back again tomorrow for day 2. Hopefully it will go just as well (or maybe even better than) today. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a wonderful and exciting day! :highfive: Your daughter must be thrilled, too! Is her class a multi-day event, also?

growler~GateKeeper
February 15th, 2009, 02:59 AM
:highfive: excellent for both you and your daughter

:goodvibes: for tomorrow

Gail P
February 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Both of us ran again today. Another beautiful day and more great runs :D The team ran well, coming in a little bit faster than yesterday, but somebody else who ran into some trouble yesterday showed a big improvement today and bumped us down a spot, for a 12th place finish, out of the total 22 teams entered.

My daughter had another really good run with Lightning and Flurry, with Flurry showing great promise. As Lightning began to tire (after running the 4-mile class with me both days before doing the 2-mile with her and Flurry), Flurry kept up the pace and it was Lightning holding them back a bit at one point. They came in strong to the finish, a little bit slower than yesterday but still good enough to hold onto their 2nd place standing.

What a fantastic weekend. I'm not among the top finishers in my class, but I've got some stiff competition with well experienced racers and dogs that have been bred for generations to do this, as fast as they can go. Mine are all adopted dogs, most are border collies and bc mixes that I've brought along myself and it's our first season racing in the 4-dog open (pro) class so both me and the dogs are all very new to it. I'm super pleased with how well they're doing for me and happy to be placing middle of the pack so early in their racing career. Oh, and something funny happened today at the end of my class. After crossing the finish line, (which usually isn't right beside the start but in this case it was after being re-routed from it's usual spot, crossing a pond that was all smooth ice from all the rain), I had to stop and give one of the volunteers my race bib. Then I asked the dogs to go to head back to the dog lot and as they continued on they had to go right by the big wooden starting gates. Lightning swung around and was turning the team back into the starting chute, he wanted to go again. :laughing:

Pictures will be coming soon on my website.

growler~GateKeeper
February 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Sounds like another excellant day for both mom & daughter :highfive:

:laughing: Lightning loves what he does :D

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Congratulations to you and your daughter (and the dogs, of course :D) for such great races :highfive: Sure does sound like a lot of fun!

angeldogs
February 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Sounds like you and your daughter had a real good racing these last 2 days.
and the dogs.will be looking forward to your pics.:thumbs up

Gail P
February 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Yep, it was a really enjoyable weekend. Before the youth race my daughter had a few last minute nerves but when she came in she was all smiles and loved it. She's already talking about stealing dogs off my team to make up her own. If we work hard with Flurry over the next year though she could take him and Dru in and then Lightning wouldn't have to go twice. Dru's young and not yet started but he'll be plenty old enough by then and I think Flurry has the potential to be another good lead dog so if we work hard with him over the next year he could be ready to be "the leader" on her 2-dog team. I can just imagine in a couple more years we'll have even more dogs cause she'll also be wanting to race in the 4-dog class. Then we'll also need another sprint sled. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I also got to meet up with OC Spirit this weekend and say hi. :)

growler~GateKeeper
February 15th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Following in mom's footsteps :thumbs up

Did you get any pics of you, your dogs & OC Spirit and her dogs all together?

Gail P
February 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Did you get any pics of you, your dogs & OC Spirit and her dogs all together?

No, unfortunately not. Actually I think the first time we said hi was at the lunch table :laughing: I don't think she had all hers there, I think Ronan was running on another team. I did get to see him coming in at the end of his race though. Looking good :thumbs up