Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Know Better Dog Food Pre-mix

SuperWanda
February 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Has anybody heard about or tried this dog food pre-mix made in BC?

They have a few different kinds but you basically just add water and cooked or raw meat.

Here is the website:
http://www.knowbetterdogfood.com/

erykah1310
February 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Never heard of it, most of those premix things IMO are just a waste.
I mean if you are already going to be feeding home cooked or raw, why ruin the best part of feeding that way by adding other stuff to it?
I know "balance" is the key sales tactic to these kinds of premade mixes, but really its not that hard to balance a raw or home cooked meal properly and know exactly what is in it.

I wouldn't bother with any of these mixes honestly.

flipgirl4
February 14th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I don't think it's that easy to provide a complete and balanced diet with raw or homecooked. What really is complete and balanced? I dont' think with any diet, you are going to attain the perfect diet. With raw, it's trial and error, using different proteins, providing the right proportion of bone to meat, organ vs. muscle meat etc. I don't know about the mix the OP has suggested but I used to bake muffins from a pre-mix to which I'd add meat, veggies fruits for my dog and she did really great on it. I could vary the meats, veggies and fruits. And I didn't have to worry about whether all the nutrients were in the food. I now feed premade raw patties and it's more convenient than having to chop and grind bones etc. I'm not saying it's better; just easier. And, I'm not saying all pre-made mixes or patties are good either as some offer too much bone, fruits and veggies.

However, the food to which the OP is referring does seem a little extraneous, for lack of a better word. It seems that you could add the ingredients yourself but meat would contain a lot of the vitamins anyway. I'm not sure what good gelatin is but since it is an animal product, I don't know....I'm being a little facetious here. I think you're better off looking elsewhere IMO

SuperWanda
February 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for your opinions. I am seeing more of these pre-mixes out there but don't know much about them.

For what you are getting - they do seem expensive - considering you have to add everything else yourself.

erykah1310
February 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I don't think it's that easy to provide a complete and balanced diet with raw or homecooked. What really is complete and balanced? I dont' think with any diet, you are going to attain the perfect diet. With raw, it's trial and error, using different proteins, providing the right proportion of bone to meat, organ vs. muscle meat etc.
actually its not that complicated, its a basic ratio and depending what kind of raw you feed ( such as prey model here) there is no added veggies or anything like that.
Nature provides adequate balance for a carnivores ( or opportunist as some say) diet as it is. Its humans who focus on all sorts of "extras" for their own peace of mind:shrug:

But on topic, these mixes are really not worth your money. Pet food industry is trying to still make money on raw or homecooking by insisting you need these extras for your pets to be perfectly healthy. Its a multi billion dollar industry and they will do anything to keep the average pet owner from realizing that they can successfully "create" a far superior meal for their pets. Its all about the bottom line for the pet food industry, with little consideration for long term health of the dogs ( example, use of corn as a protein source??? Vegetable protein, for a dog or cat? its cheap, it sustains the animal in question, but is by far adequate IMHO)

flipgirl4
February 15th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Well I will agree to disagree but I do see your point.

The pre-mix I used to feed was called Canine Life. Right now, they only have two distributors in Canada. One in Ontario and the other is in B.C. (called West Coast Canine Life). The recipes can be customized for your pet's needs and some of the proceeds go to a cancer fund. The website for the Ontario one is www.theskyesthelimit.com. You can google the West Coast Canine Life and you should be able to find their site. it's reasonably priced compared to the premade raw food and it's convenient. Even when I boarded her, I could just give them a baggie of muffins and I wouldn't have to worry about her eating a different food. I think it's great that they offer the premix - you could say the premixes and premade raw foods are capitalizing on trends but regardless, I find it more convenient. It's great that you are feeding the prey model diet and have got it down pat. I tried it and found I didn't have the time or freezer space.

I think in today's society, where convenience is a priority, these premixes or premade foods offer a more nutritious option than kibble.

There is also Urban Wolf which is a mix to which you add raw meat (or you can lightly cook the meat) and then just serve. It's about the same price as Canine Life but it includes dehydrated fruits and veggies so you don't have to add them.

SuperWanda
February 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I did see the west coast mix. I thought it looked a little grainy.

I know you could add more meat but their suggested recipe adds only 2lbs of meat to 5 cups of this pre-mix to make 24 muffins. For a 50lb dog eating 4 muffins a day he would only be getting 0.3lb of meat each day.

Their 7kg bag costs $78 and contains rice, oats, barley, herbs, spices and calcium. Seems a little costly for such a grainy diet IMO.

TulipRoxy
February 23rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Has anybody heard about or tried this dog food pre-mix made in BC?

They have a few different kinds but you basically just add water and cooked or raw meat.

Here is the website:
http://www.knowbetterdogfood.com/

I used the cat premix for a while its made by a sister company called Feline Future.

I liked it, it allowed me to be able to put them on raw while I took some time to do some more research to put them on homemade raw. Also cats tend to be picky so I was able to mix the premade into their homemade raw to transition them.

For a dog though I would just go completely raw. Its SOOO much cheaper, especially if you get some good food sources such as meat packing plants, and its better for them in the long run as they get the benefit of chewing on bones to clean their teeth. If you want any additional info on the diet I feed go to http://www.myminizoo.wordpress.com

SuperWanda
February 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks TulipRoxy,

I was actually looking at their pre-mix for cooked. I don't feed raw and wouldn't consider it at this point so was just looking at some different options for preparing a balanced meal at home. I think I have concluded that most of these pre-mixes seem rather expensive considering what you are getting.