Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fifty Dead After Continental Plane Crashes Into House In Buffalo, N.Y. Suburb

Diamondsmum
February 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Just weeks after New York City celebrated the Miracle on the Hudson, in which all 155 people on board a U.S. Airways jet survived ditching in the river, the state is dealing with yet another plane crash.

But this one comes much closer to the GTA and this time, there were no miracles.

At about 10:20pm Thursday, a Continental Airlines Dash 8 Q400 turboprop Toronto-built plane carrying 44 passengers, four crew members, and an off-duty pilot, crashed into a house in the Buffalo suburb of Clarence.

The residence immediately exploded into flames, as huge fireballs and thick black smoke filled the air. Witnesses heard a series of explosions after the crash.

"It sounded like the plane, like, the engine was sputtering. Next thing you know it kind of like cut out. Big ball of flame," one area resident described.

Another added, "I was on my computer. And I heard the jet just roar over, I knew something was up. And I saw, like, in my peripheral vision, I saw the flames. I heard it. I just ran over here."

Officials confirm there were no survivors on board and a man in the home the plane struck was also killed, bringing the death toll to 50. There were two others in the residence, the victim's wife and daughter - they survived with only minor injuries. Among the 44 passengers killed was a woman whose husband died in the World Trade Center attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

"This is not a rescue effort," one spokesman confirmed.

:rip::candle::candle:

:sad:Such a tragedy... Not known if any Canadians were on board..

Con't

HERE (http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_32072.aspx)

Love4himies
February 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
:cry: How sad. And one of the victims lost her DH in the Sept 11 attacks, how sad is that. :sad:

CClover
February 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm listening to Radio-Canada and they just mention one canadian is dead from the crash...Fort Erie resident

Dee-O-Gee
February 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Well I haven't been on pets.ca for the past few days as this has struck home. It turns out that our little town has lost a member of our community not to mention, as close friend to my family. Our whole community is in shock from this tragedy.

Not only do we feel for the MacDonald family, but to all the families of Continental 3407.

:candle: