Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kiki found - though not brought home

moosedogg
February 13th, 2009, 01:37 AM
At long last, Kiki, our sweet girl, has been found though not the happy reunion we had hoped for. Within a day or two of going missing on November 2, 2008 in the Laurentian mountains north of Montreal, she was shot dead by deer hunters about two miles from home. She was allegedly mistaken for a 'white coyote' as reported by a disapproving fellow hunter who came forward last week after spotting her photo at a vets office. He had heard about the incident within the local hunting community and went to investigate, finding the body of a husky, not a coyote at all. A few days ago, he led us on snowshoes to the exact spot he had found her three months back and we were able to determine it was indeed Kiki's resting place. The search is over and now the true grieving begins.

luckypenny
February 13th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'm so sorry for this tragic end to your search :sad:.

RIP Kiki :candle:

TeriM
February 13th, 2009, 01:49 AM
OMG that is awful :sad:. I am so sorry for your loss.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM
:sad: I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug:

:rip: sweet :angel2: Kiki :candle:
The Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) holds many friends

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I'm so sorry, moosedogg :grouphug:

:candle: Kiki

diandpat
February 13th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I am so so sorry...what a sad and pitiful end to your beautiful Kiki's life :cry:

:rip:

coppperbelle
February 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

My dogs are golden in color (the same as deer) and to hopefully avoid something like this from happening I put orange vests on them during hunting season. If they were mistaken for a coyote they too would be shot as there is a bounty on them in the area near our cottage.

angeldogs
February 13th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I'm sorry for your loss moosedogg.

:rip:Kiki

14+kitties
February 13th, 2009, 07:17 AM
:candle::rip: sweet Kiki :candle: You did not deserve that end.

Love4himies
February 13th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I am so sorry to hear about kiki :sad: :grouphug:

:rip: Kiki :candle:

krdahmer
February 13th, 2009, 08:21 AM
What a tragic loss. I am so sorry. :rip: Kiki :angel:

hezbglad
February 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
:cry: I am so sorry.

cpietra16
February 13th, 2009, 12:19 PM
OMG...I'm sorry....RIP sweet KiKi

BusterBoo
February 13th, 2009, 12:23 PM
:sorry: such a tragic ending, I guess it is good to know what happened, the wondering can stop now and the grieving can continue....

:rip: Sweet KiKi :cry:

moosedogg
February 13th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thank you so much for the messages of sympathy. Needless to say, Kiki will be dearly missed.

I appreciated Copperbelle's tip on outfitting dogs in orange vests during hunting season. Unfortunately, I don't think any animal was safe in the woods that day with those trigger happy hunters. We believe Kiki was labelled a white coyote after the deed was done. The sport of hunting, of which I am not a fan, undoubtedly attracts all types - some responsible and others out of control.

angeldogs
February 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Kiki was a beautyful girl.

hezbglad
February 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM
What a beautiful dog! I remember, all through my teenage years, I used to have a big sticker on my closet door that said "Support gun control, kill a hunter". No idea where i got it...

NoahGrey
February 16th, 2009, 07:01 AM
i am so sorry. RIP Kiki.

ACO22

clm
February 16th, 2009, 07:43 AM
What a horrible end to your search.
And so what if he thought it was a white coyote? Does that give'em the right to shoot it?
I so despise people who think they have the right to kill things they are afraid of or don't like. I have no use for hunting anything, anytime.

Cindy

moosedogg
February 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Cindy. Coyotes and wolves have always been targeted as 'damaging predators', worthy of killing en masse. Such a shame for such beautiful and highly social animals.

chico2
February 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Moosedogg,what terrible news,Kiki was a beautiful dog:rip:sweet girl.:sad:
If these hunters cannot see the difference between a Husky and a Coyote,they should not be carrying a deadly weapon.
Not that I want coyotes shot,or anything for that matter:evil:

t.pettet
February 16th, 2009, 07:09 PM
What a senseless tragedy, so sorry for your loss. If the hunters in your area are anything like the ones here then they were probably drunk to begin with and must prove their sportsmanship by obliterating anything that moves. Red-neck yahoos. May your Kiki Rip.

lUvMyLaB<3
February 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I am so sorry for what happened... needless and tragic, My thoughts are with you and your family while you try and recover from this..

I also hate the "sport" of hunting, especially if it is aimed at an animal for the sole reason of killing it needlessly, i kinda understand why people hunt a deer if they are going to use it, but a cayote? why? they deserve to live and not have their packs lives destroyed, living in fear.. In the woods where they belong they deserve to live their lives. There is no excuse for this barbaric behavior, we have come a long way people need to live and let live. I have no words to describe the people that did this to your sweet baby, may she rest in peace. She will watch over you, waiting for the day you meet again.

Shaykeija
February 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Dumb hunters.... I am so sorry for your loss...

Sylvie
February 17th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I am so sorry for your loss

:rip: Kiki

Lolabee
February 17th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Im so sorry about your loss. While Im sure the grieving is hard, be comforted in the fact that you will see her again. :grouphug:

Magicwildwolf69
February 17th, 2009, 02:12 AM
i'm so sorry to hear this happened :cry::grouphug:

rip kiki

purr
February 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM
omg. How utterly devastating. My heart cries for you and your family, and for innocent Kiki..... dear God, I do not understand the world some days.

BenMax
February 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
On behalf of a Husky Rescue Group we wish to relay our condolences.

RIP Kiki - your strength, spirit and thoughts are with you on your journey.

Peace.

JennieV
February 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM
what an awful thing to have happened. I am so so sorry about this situation. I also join my voice with those against hunting. I can understand some people hunt to feed, but as someone mentioned, there are also these :loser: weirdos, who will shoot anything that moves.

My condolences on the loss of you beautiful dog. :candle:

:rip: Kiki, run free, puppy!

Bina
February 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry about the loss of your fur baby......my heart almost stopped when I saw this similar dog:
http://www.animatch.ca/CustomContentRetrieve.aspx?ID=164252

moosedogg
February 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Thank you for all these kind messages of support. Kiki would have been very touched and given you all a hearty tail wag and happy smile. She was a beautiful girl.

the gang
February 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
my heart goes out to you, rest in peace little one!!! brenda and the pins.:candle:

happycats
February 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
OMG I am so very sorry.

RIP Kiki :candle: