Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

UPDATE: Neuter surgery

Sib.HuskyMom
February 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Well, Jasper and Timber had their surgery today. They both did quite well. Jasper's one testicle had actually dropped down into his canal, which means that didn't have to go through his abdomen to find it. :thumbs up

They're both going to be staying at the vets overnight - just a routine precaution that they do. I miss them like crazy but they promised me they'd keep them side by side so they at least knew each other was there.

Something that did come up, was that when the shaved Timber's fur for the surgery, they discovered that he had a skin infection. :confused:
I never noticed this before, but it's so hard to see their skin because of the 2 layers of fur they have. But I really haven't noticed any extra scratching or biting. :shrug:
I know that most skin conditions are usually food related, so I'm wondering if it's maybe an allergy. Previously, they were eating Royal Canin :frustrated:, but about a month ago I switched them to Orijen puppy which is grain free. So I don't know if it's a left-over reaction from when there were on RC, or if it's something new that's developed.

I'll get a chance to talk to the Dr. more tomorrow when I go to pick them up.
He's going to be giving me some anti-biotics for Timber, but I have to get to the bottom of this.
I've heard that perhaps some dogs can be allergic to Chicken... is there anything else it could be?!?

Karin
February 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Nah na na na, told you so! *snort*

All kidding aside, I knew they would be fine. But even us seasoned pet owners and experienced vet techs panic when it concerns our own. And I classify my actions as panic too. I tend to get really silly.
I do not know much about the type of food you are feeding so I'll leave that to the experts.

Now you can relax.

hazelrunpack
February 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Good news about the surgeries, Sib. HuskyMom! :grouphug: I'm glad it went well! Now you can sleep past 6 tomorrow morning :D

On occasion we've had bouts of skin staph infections--usually on our boys and only while they're quite young. But they usually get them during the summer--our vet thought it might be from lying on the mown grass and getting poked by the grass blades. :shrug: Treatment was fairly easy--a medicated shampoo. And once they got a little older, their immune systems were able to fight off further infections :thumbs up

However, I doubt the vet would have done the surgery if what Timber has is a staph infection.

Dee-O-Gee
February 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Congrats Sib.Huskymom :thumbs up

Glad to hear surgeries went well. Pretty quite around the house eh? You almost feel lost and :confused:

They'll be back tomorrow and so happy to be home. Stock up on the cones :) and lots of treats

Sib.HuskyMom
February 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM
So, the boys have been home with us for a few hours now. They seem to be doing fairly well. Timber seems a little more "bouncy" than Jasper, but overall, they're both keeping it pretty low key.
Turns out, Timber's skin infection isn't too bad. It's quite mild and looks like it is healing, so it probably is just left over from when they were eating Royal Canin. He was given an antibiotic injection which is supposed to last for 2 weeks, and then my vet will check him again. Overall, she wasn't too concerned about it.
In the meantime, I'm adding a little bit of yogurt to his food to add some "good" bacteria back in.

So the challenge for the next little bit is just keeping them as calm as possible. Their incisions don't look too bad - Jasper has a little bit of bruising.
Other than that, they both have the absolute smelliest burbs! :yuck:
Seriously, it's that bad.
I sure hope that side affect goes away ASAP!

clm
February 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm glad everything went well. I think it's good the vet kept them overnight. Would have helped to keep the two of them quieter that much longer.
Pics of they boys would be nice too. :D

Cindy

Sib.HuskyMom
February 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Sleepy puppies re-couping at home :cloud9:

clm
February 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
They're beautiful. :lovestruck:

Cindy

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
They really are... :flirt:

They still look sleepy :o

Glad they're home safe! :goodvibes: for a speedy recovery.

Sib.HuskyMom
February 14th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks Hazel and Cindy.
The boys are definitely much more awake and playful this morning. :)

So far, the only thing that keeps them somewhat quiet and entertained is their bones. I'm beginning to realize, it's going to be a very long recovery time, no matter how fast it is. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Good luck! :goodvibes: :D