Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Maybe I'm too sensitive but...

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Many of you know I stayed home yesterday with Kiska. I wrote this on a blog I have had for years. People who comment on it have known me there for a long time and we pretty much all follow each others lives as if we knew each other in person. I had a lot of comments about this. But can you all guess what nobody asked me about?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I stayed home today, because I had a minor emergency with Kiska last night. She's okay now, on meds and will recover, thank heavens.

So I'm sitting here watching some TV and I stopped on this show on TLC called 10 years younger. The woman that was the subject starts talking about how she can use some help, she's got bad teeth, she hadn't taken care of her hair, and SHE'S AFRAID OF BECOMING THAT SINGLE WOMAN WITH 6 CATS!

HUH?

I'm sorry but I don't consider myself a loser or anything just because I'm single and have 5 cats. Yeah, I'm not happy about being single much of the time, but I still have hopes of meeting someone nice. And I have 5 cats because I consider myself a caring person who happened upon these little creatures who needed help. Not long ago one of my friends suggested maybe the cats were hindering my meeting anyone. Yeah, because I've had so much luck the last 15 years without them *rolls eyes*.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Yep, not one person asked me about Kiska. Even though I said she was okay, nobody asked me what happened. Maybe I'm just too sensitive whenit comes to my gang, but I'd have thought at the very least I would have gotten just one "What happened to Kiska? I'm so glad she's okay whatever it was."

Not one.

bendyfoot
February 12th, 2009, 03:13 PM
My guess? People usually remember the last thing they read, not the first. You mentioned she was sick in the first sentence, then changed the topic of the post...I honestly think people just focused on that, because the post reads like it was your main theme/reason for writing. I don't think people meant to exclude her.

:grouphug: for you and Kiska!

Jim Hall
February 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
ahh well thats because you expect "real lide" to be like pets ca

and as far as the lady with 6 cats tink about me im the crazy guy who spends money on strays in my hood

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Bendy, I see your point. I think sometimes people suffer from an attention span disorder on blogs. I don't know. But geez, I've read some blogs that the people practically write an entire novel, and man I at the very least try to make sure I'm sensitive to what they are writing.

bendyfoot
February 12th, 2009, 03:35 PM
My attention-span (lack thereof) totally had me focussing on the second part of the post. I had to actually go back and re-read to figure out why you were expecting people to comment on Kiska. :o

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
My attention-span (lack thereof) totally had me focussing on the second part of the post. I had to actually go back and re-read to figure out why you were expecting people to comment on Kiska. :o

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/8929/smiliebleh7qp.gif OY! LOL

onster
February 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM
awww :grouphug::grouphug:

they probably got sidetracked by the second half :p plus u said she would be fine...

btw I read ure blog sometimes :D but i dont comment :o but i like it :thumbs up lol

TacoGrl
February 12th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I am glad Kiska is doing fine :)

People don't seem to focus on much of anything now days...most attention spans are that of a gnat if it isn't abot them. :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Onster, you mean my Facebook or my livejournal? I have a live journal I usually write most things on, but I like using Facebook for ariticles and stuff.

TacoGrl, she's fine thank you!

I know I have to just realize that there are a lot of people who are still my friends but they don't really understand my relationship with my cats.

that's why I I love this place so much. I know I'll always have people who understand me.

onster
February 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
livejournal...u posted it once when you were asking if you could use that photo with the lady on the horse :thumbs up
I dont think were on eachother's facebook...or maybe u are and im losing my mind :crazy:

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Ah, okay cool! :D if you have a live journal friend me and I'll add you. I post a lot of stuff as friends only, oh and friend me on Facebook too!

onster
February 13th, 2009, 01:32 AM
i dont have a live jounral :sad: but ill look you up on facebook :thumbs up:D

Luvmypitgirls
February 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I am very happy to hear that Kiska is doing well.

I don't usually read ppl's blogs, I prefer to say on the public boards, but had I had access or read your blog, I think I can honestly say I would've commented on Kiska.

Again happy to hear Kiska is doing well, give her a "squishy squishy" for us:)

ancientgirl
February 13th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks! She's back to her old self, and so is Vlad. I'll tell you what though, they DO NOT like their medicine. :laughing:

I just have to realize not everyone is interested in pets. I did get someone yesterday who did ask if she was okay and what happened to her. But, this person happens to be a cat owner so...

Jim Hall
February 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
all right ag do the happy poop dance !!!!

ancientgirl
February 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Jim, I'm just glad they're better. I felt so bad for Vlad on Wednesday night. Poor guy was in the litter box every 10 minutes.

Luvmypitgirls
February 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Ancient, glad to hear they are both back to their old selves, sorry I thought it was just Kiska that wasn't well.

Theedee and Wendellan, my two cats, have been visiting the litterbox quite frequently lately too. Both having very loose stools at the moment, but I think it's because I switched their food. I didn't have any of their old food left to mix it with the new, so they went straight onto the new, and I think it's irritated their bowels a bit.:sad: So I'm making sure they have lots of fresh cold water to drink. I noticed today that their poop is a little more firm, so hopefully they are over the worst of it.

ancientgirl
February 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Ancient, glad to hear they are both back to their old selves, sorry I thought it was just Kiska that wasn't well.

Theedee and Wendellan, my two cats, have been visiting the litterbox quite frequently lately too. Both having very loose stools at the moment, but I think it's because I switched their food. I didn't have any of their old food left to mix it with the new, so they went straight onto the new, and I think it's irritated their bowels a bit.:sad: So I'm making sure they have lots of fresh cold water to drink. I noticed today that their poop is a little more firm, so hopefully they are over the worst of it.

Initially it was just Kiska, but then Vlad came down with the same issue later that day. They are both doing well, thank you.

The thing with V & K is, I've been giving them Merrick for a while now and they have never had an issue with it. Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know but either way I'm not feeding them that anymore.

I bought them some Innova, and I got a dehydrated food called Prowl. I'm going to mix some of that Prowl with some chicken I bought to make myself, and I'll buy them some ground beef next week. I am also looking into a vitamin and mineral supplement. There is one I saw on a natural food site for pets that you are supposed to use it in conjunction with home made and raw food diets. They have the proper things they need, which I don't know myself how to get for them. I just don't want to take the chance of them getting sick because of their food.

Luvmypitgirls
February 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Initially it was just Kiska, but then Vlad came down with the same issue later that day. They are both doing well, thank you.

The thing with V & K is, I've been giving them Merrick for a while now and they have never had an issue with it. Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know but either way I'm not feeding them that anymore.

I bought them some Innova, and I got a dehydrated food called Prowl. I'm going to mix some of that Prowl with some chicken I bought to make myself, and I'll buy them some ground beef next week. I am also looking into a vitamin and mineral supplement. There is one I saw on a natural food site for pets that you are supposed to use it in conjunction with home made and raw food diets. They have the proper things they need, which I don't know myself how to get for them. I just don't want to take the chance of them getting sick because of their food.

I put mine on Orijen, I wish I could do raw diets for all my furry babies, but to be honest I am a little afraid of the concept.

ancientgirl
February 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I put mine on Orijen, I wish I could do raw diets for all my furry babies, but to be honest I am a little afraid of the concept.

I'm afraid of it in the sense of not giving them the proper nutrients for them to thrive. I know they need Taurine for their vision. I have no clue what to give them to supply this. That's why I wanted to get these supplement powders. My vet said when she lived in Colorado many of the pet parents she dealt with would order these and add it to their pets home-made or raw diets.

If I can use something like this, then I would feel a little more comfortable with it. I give them chicken now and then. I put it in a pan with water and put it in the oven. I chop it up for them and they devour it. But I know chicken alone isn't going to cut it. They need that organ meat, which I just am clueless about. I see this as a way of transitioning myself and them.

I'm so afraid of these damned pet food companies at this point.

I'm not saying it was the Merrick, but just in case, I'm done with that brand for them.

Luvmypitgirls
February 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm so afraid of these damned pet food companies at this point.

I understand what you're saying, it's hard to know nowadays what and who to trust, when it comes to pet food.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm putting too much faith in Orijen too. I have researched it, and I'm fairly confident in my choice to feed it to my pets.

The reason I am afraid of raw diets, is that I'm afraid I'll miss something, or won't be able to access something that my pets need, such as some of the supplements you have spoken about. Not to mention, that since I am busy most of the time, I worry about being able to dedicate the time to make sure it's done properly.
I've also read that when you feed raw, you shouldn't allow your dogs to kiss you, not sure if that's true or not, but having a child with a suppressed immune system, it's causes me concern. Plus I love it when my dogs slobber me in kisses.:laughing:

I do occassionally, cook an extra chicken breast and mix it in with my cats food, as a special treat. They love it.

I hope that whatever you choose to do Ancient, you find success with it, there is no doubt you only want the very best for Kiska and Vlad, I really do understand your fears re: pet food.

ancientgirl
February 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
You and I have the same fears then. I just want the best thing for them.