Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cost of owning a dog and cat

catlover2
February 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM
It seems that a lot of people do not take into consideration the cost of pet ownership, especially when they get a "free kitten", and do not include it in a budget.

Cost of owning a cat:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1838&aid=1542

"Darren Osborne, Director of Veterinary Economic Research from the OVMA (Ontario Veterinary Medical Association), estimates in his 2008 publication “FiFi, Fido & Finances” that the average first year cost of affording a kitten can be up to $1,756.29 for a female and $1,665.67 for a male cat. After the initial year, the current annual cost of owning an adult cat can reach $1,477.16 for an outdoor cat and $1,372.96 for an indoor cat. This can be a substantial amount of money doled out on what someone may have thought was a “free kitten” considering cats can live into their 20’s. Although you can’t compare the unconditional love a cat can bring into your life, deciding whether or not you can afford the expense of owning a cat should be one of your main considerations when thinking of adding a cat to your life."

Cost of owning a dog:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1671&aid=1543

pitgrrl
February 12th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I have to say, if the cost of having my dogs was anywhere approaching what that article outlines, I'd be a rich woman.:laughing:

14+kitties
February 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I guess I am going to be in the poor house forever then. :sad: But it's all worth it!

TacoGrl
February 12th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Well, I am already closing in on that with Seth! Perhaps Messina can go next door and ask for supper! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 12th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I'd say we're right on track with the dog-cost figure. :rolleyes: Imagine the money we'd save if we weren't crazy for setters! :D

krdahmer
February 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I guess I am going to be in the poor house forever then. :sad: But it's all worth it!

Yep I'm with you... I'll live broke all my life as long as it means I can have cats!!! :lovestruck::cloud9::D

Joeyjoejoe
February 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Your first link doesn't work. I think you meant this:

http://www.ovma.org/pdf/fifi_fido_finances08.pdf

I think the 'typical' cat owner doesn't have pet insurance or get dental care... so for most people that number is cut in half.

For me... I think I move the average up... my cats are spoiled! The "gift" total is much higher in my budget.

happycats
February 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Your right, it's not cheap!

Buddy first vet visit cost $450.00 (neuter, microchip and 6 months of revolution) then a month later $65.00 for booster shots.
and $80.00 about every 3-4 months for grooming.

Not to mention food, bowls, leashes, collar, dog license ,doggie poop bags, ID tag, treats, beds, blankets, toys.

Oh and I lost his retractable leash, so bought a new one today on sale for $35.00.

And I haven't even had him for a year yet :o

But I'd spend it all over again for him :lovestruck:

none of the above includes the $$$$ we spend on our 4 cats either...........I would be rich if I was petless........but would feel very poor with out 4 legged furry ones around.

And anyone considering a dog should also factor in "damages" most people want puppies, and most puppies chew for up to 2 years......the damages could be in the thousands!

Rottielover
February 13th, 2009, 05:57 AM
those are all if the animal is healthy, I know I went in the poor house with harley 1 year. Just 1 year cost me over 5000 in medical expenses, not including food toys, training, tools, etc...