Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My new kitty nephew

onster
February 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I dont have pictures yet :sad: But I did see him during an msn video call. He was alseep next to my lil bro with all 4 paws in the air, lying on his back after only 12 hours with bro :cloud9::cloud9:

I mentioned kitty in the 5 random facts thread. I was sooooo worried about it because I didnt think mobro would want it but mobro said he'll take it in and big bro said that if he didnt want it he would find a way to keep it despite his kitty uro being totally against other cats in his turf (he has cat friends around the resort which my bros work and live in).

he's yet to go to the vet, mobro has to do that on return from his business trip. Apparently neuter, vaccines and all that is only 150 LE (livres egyptiennes) which is like $30!! how sweet is that :D

The low vet cost has brought me to my next and most exciting point. I talked to the bro on phone today and told him i heard about this colony of cats, he said yep there is one bout 4-5 cats. THEN i told him abot these projects in the carribean where they spay/neuter the kitties on a resort/hotel grounds then set up a lil cafe for them and he loved the idea. :goodvibes::goodvibes: I hope other management go for the idea as its not just his decision..but I think it would be so cool :D Plus you get to make them cool palm huts like these

or cute lil chalets like this

How cool is that?? :D

They have a few friendly resident cats - blackie, outdoorsy and a few others (ok so theyre not that creative with names :laughing:)

Anyhooo back to new nephew kitty...apparently his name is Jedeye - just cuz it has the word 'eye' in it :rolleyes:. This is because he has no depth of field and has one funky eye (or so my lil bro says) :sad:. He thinks some chlorine or somethin splashed in his eye from the pools (the theories engineers come up with :rolleyes:)

TacoGrl
February 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Yup, I think I need to be "fixed" for say...2 weeks! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM
How exciting for Jedeye! :highfive: And for the kitties at the hotel, if management agrees to the plan! :goodvibes:

Good thinkin', onster! :thumbs up

Can't wait for nephew pics. :D

TeriM
February 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Woohoo :crazy:. Glad jedeye has a home :thumbs up and hope the project works out :goodvibes:.

jiorji
February 12th, 2009, 01:42 PM
wait...what?? back up.......he;s stealing a kitten from the carribeans??! Man..........why didn't i think of that??:yell::yell:

ok i'm going back to Cuba...I seemed to have left something there :rolleyes::laughing:

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Oh, I can't wait to see the new kitty. And omg what a wonderful idea! Those two sleeping in the tiki huts are adorable! I think if communities would take the time to do these things there wouldn't be such a huge problem. Just band together and get these kitties some help.

krdahmer
February 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Oh ok... well I need a people sized palm hut.... and a trip to the carribean!!! :cool::laughing: Those kitties look comfy! :cloud9:

onster
February 12th, 2009, 04:28 PM
lol jiorji nono- hahahah

ok lil bro is in Egypt, working at the resorts desalination plant for co-op (hes studying to be an enviro engineer) and he found this teeny kitten outside the lobby. He called my sil and they brought it back to his room, tried to introduce uro kitty (bro and sils guy) who went berzerk. Mobro was in Italy or Prague or something and had recently rejected taking blackie in "because he has a strange meow" :rolleyes: , plus he travels a lot so I was worried he wouldnt take kitten in after lil bro had to come back to canada (and I thought big bro wouldnt/couldnt cuz of uro and his asthma). I sent him mobro a text saying congrats, he replied saying he was on another continent, he's got no kitteh - especially not one with "a gaping hole where its eye should be and pus leaking out of it" ...ummmmmm ya dont try to understand males - lil bro was messing with his mind.

Judging by Jedeyes size, Id say he's about 8 wks old

onster
February 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
and thanks all, i really hope this works out :goodvibes:

I told bro that if they did that they colony wouldnt get bigger cuz the ones already there would keep off 'intruders' and since they themselves couldnt have kittens the pop would stay down. I sure hope thats the truth :o lol

onster
February 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
and please everyone excuse my typos, missing words, weird run on sentences and the like! :crazy::crazy:

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Good work Onster & bros bringing in/convincing other bros to keep Jedeye :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for them to get the colony fixed and housed

Love that palm hut so cute :cloud9: think someone will make one big enough for me? :D

onster
February 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
OK so I heard wrong

they were calling him....

Deadeye

UMMMM..........

yeah a new name is in order lol

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I liked Jedeye better...like Jedi knights in Star Wars. :D

onster
February 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
yeah I thought it was jedeye as in a play on Jedi but alas the name has been rejected :sad:

Mobro is home and has kitten now. He is thinking of summers, for scott summers, the original name of cyclops the character from X-men.

Boys :rolleyes: lol

Im still begging for pics :yell::sad:

Chris21711
February 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Summers :eek: That's not a very manly name :rolleyes:

Keep nagging for pics Onster, nag nag nag :crazy:

onster
February 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I emailed him and told him that (that summers is girlie) and nagged for pics :D:D I played the woe is me card :sad: A said flat out no he wont send me pics (he is in that annoy ure sister any way u can phase) and B said ok but didnt do it :sad::sad:

Chris21711
February 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Onster, remind "A" that he will be returning to Canada and will be living with YOU and that payback can be a b***h :cool:

ancientgirl
February 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Now you go and tell the brother of yours if he doesn't send some pictures of his new kitty he will have to deal with the wrath of some pretty ticked off women over here at Pets.ca! And he doesn't want to make us mad:evil:

onster
February 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Had to get a woman to do it :rolleyes: my sil sent me pics :D

Uro (their cat) checking him out. They have a lot of hissy fights. Mobro is on a trip again so sil is taking care of him.

What a cutie! You can see his kinda messed up eye here. He's got such big paws!!

Mobro wants to call him Scott.....:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
February 27th, 2009, 01:51 PM
What a cutie! Yeah, he'll grow into those paws for sure. I remember Maks had some huge paws and ears.

I can't notice anything odd about his eye. He really is a handsome little guy.

Scott huh? I like it, you know like Scotty. Um...any particular reason for that name?

onster
February 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM
His left eye (right in this pic) is kinda cloudy. He cant see from it..they dunno what happened :shrug:

Scott for scott summers (the cyclops character from xmen) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops_(comics)
--- for his eye.

onster
February 27th, 2009, 01:56 PM
and I remember cutie maks with his huge paws n ears! Scott doesnt seem to have big ears though. I like scotty tho...but scott doesnt seem to work for a kitten for me :shrug:. So i guess ill call him scotty :D

ancientgirl
February 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
LOL, well I guess we should be glad he's not calling the little guy Cyclops. I like Scotty too. It just sounds more like a kitty/cat name than just Scott.

He's adorable. His ears aren't big no (Maks had some Dumbo ears!:D) , but still, I think he'll grow into those paws for sure.

Chris21711
February 27th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Ooooh he is a cutie patootie, Scotty is cute sure beats Summer :rolleyes: Tell SIL we need moooooore :lovestruck:

krdahmer
February 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM
AW He's adorable!!:lovestruck: And although they seem to have picked a name.... just have to throw out "Willy" (as in 'one eyed willy' the pirate from Goonies!!! :laughing:)! You could really use any pirate name! Plus pirate names are more manly... SCott Summers was kind of a sissy! ;)

:goodvibes: to Brother and SIL, hope the hissing subsides soon! And a big :grouphug: to them for taking him in!!:cloud9:

hazelrunpack
February 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Holy cats, he's a cutie! :flirt: And a very lucky fella! :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
February 28th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Awww :lovestruck: little Scotty is adorable :lovestruck: :flirt: what big paws you have :cloud9:

Way better name than the others they came up with before :laughing:

onster
March 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Mobro is on his 3rd business trip ( he called from the aiport) and I guess he has realized he travels way too much to have a cat. Uro and Scotty have been trying to kill eachother plus big bro B's had a bad asthma attack with the new kitten (had to go to hosp).

Since little bro is coming home in 3/4 weeks they need to figure out what to do. I am actually quite flabbergasted because one of the solutions my bro came up with is to euthanise it?!?!?!?!?!!?!?! He didnt want it to suffer. My dad thought this is unacceptable so maybe they can take it somewhere far away ( he really thought it would be okay and this was humane). :mad::mad: Apparently one guest made a hullabaloo today over cats around the pool. She said she has allergies. Well ummm you are in a country known to have strays. How about you step away from the cats :loser: Of course you cant say that to a client in the hospitalility industry.

I called my dad very upset. I told him that this is not a solution. That lil bro taking the cat in and then getting it used to humans and then just driving it off somewhere to fend for itself is just a death sentence. I also told him that taking the other cats and driving them off wont work because other cats will come in. They need to spay and neuter. He was very quiet then said ok, not to upset myself so much ( i was truly upset!!!). I also said that woman who complained can Shut the heck up because what is she gonna do when she goes into town and one of the many stray cats comes up to her??! Its a country that has stray cats!!!! Anyway my dad said they would put that off and will think about it.

Mobro called and said they arent doing anything to the cats now because I 'cried' to dad :rolleyes: I did not cry but I did argue passionately!! but meh...at least they listened to me.

I emailed the SPARE shelter for help...

Im just so annoyed. The thing is in Egypt, since there are so many people that are literally starving (majority of the popn is dirt poor) animal welfare is the last of their priorities.

ancientgirl
March 9th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Onster, I'm so sorry this is happening. That woman is an idiot. I mean for crying out loud, she's at a pool that's outside! In the open air! I mean, if I was allergic to a friggin Moose, I'm sure I'd be okay standing next to one OUTSIDE. Sheesh!

I recently saw a very interesting National Geographic program about cats and their origins as domesticated animals and much of the concentration was in Egypt. They showed that there are places where there are a lot of stray cats. It's so sad to see these poor little animals just trying to live among people, some who take some pity on them and give them food and some who just push them to one side.:sad:

I hope there is something your dad can do to help.:pray:

onster
March 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks AG :grouphug:

Ive been peeved about this all day. This is not the first complaint they had from guests...some get annoyed that cats come by when they are eating/ others are scared of cats etc. The thing is with the world economic crisis tourism is one of the first things that suffers so this cat problem is one thing among many many problems theyre facing now.

I kind of had a feeling the problem with Scotty would come up. I was hesitant when lil bro told me he took a kitten in. I actually told him to make sure someone could take it before he fed it or to let it out (as heartbreaking as that is). He said yeaaah mobro will take it but then that isnt working out *sigh*.

In the end I think I can figure something out for Scotty b4 lil bro has to come home :pray::pray: but I feel bad for the other cats. I hope I can convince them to undertake this spay/neuter initiative.

ancientgirl
March 9th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Onster, I know how you feel. You want to help all of them, but it's so hard. I get so upset when I see some of the other cats around my apartment complex. I want to take them in and help them, but I can't. At least I know they are fed, because they don't look thin. Still, it's hard to turn away from them. In a perfect world, they would all have homes and people to love them. At least you can help Scotty. I'll send some :goodvibes: your way and hopefully something can be worked out for the others.

What really makes me angry is people who visit other countries and don't bother to realize there are certain things there they just have to deal with. It's like going to India and complaining about all the cows walking in the street.

onster
March 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Thank AG. Yeah, that is exactly how I feel (wanting to save them all).

I know what you mean bout the tourists! I mean yeesh do your research!! Plus I dont buy this allergy thing. There is like 5/6 cats max living in the resort which is 520 rooms, 4 pools and the beach. I highly doubt the cats were stalking this one woman :rolleyes: Maybe she didnt want to get off her sun lounger and move :loser: Sadly its one of those things the customer is always right..plus since the country depends soooo much on tourism most locals will bend over backwards for tourists so as not to upset them.

Plus I mean I am well fiarly well travelled...been to the UAE (Dubai is all the rage now), Bahamas, Mexico, Italy, Turkey, Thailand...all tourist desinations and guess what they were stray animals! A lot of these countries have year round warm weather which allows for a large amount of strays. I couldnt imagine complaining because of them and expecting action?!? I mean like saying oh its so sad there are these strays etc etc I understand but throwing a hissy fit complaining and asking your hosts to eradicate them? thats like going to the sahara and complaining its too hot :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Unfortunately, the nasty cow likely knows that she's at a place that depends on tourist dollars. It's a lot like that down here at times, on Miami Beach and in Key West. She's probably a miserable person. I mean, your on vacation for crying out loud, let it slide. It's not like she's spending her entire time at that hotel and is being bothered by one or two cats. :rolleyes:

Chris21711
March 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
How about Scotty becoming Canadian :crazy:

onster
March 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM
i thought of it chris but I simply cant have another cat now. I might be going to Guelph next semester and taking both my kitties with me (or at least one) and three cats as a student is kinda pushing it. Not to mention my asthma still acts up.

If I brought him over he would likely need to be adopted out anyway :shrug:

Chris21711
March 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
i thought of it chris but I simply cant have another cat now. I might be going to Guelph next semester and taking both my kitties with me (or at least one) and three cats as a student is kinda pushing it. Not to mention my asthma still acts up.

:eek:What about Harvard?

If I brought him over he would likely need to be adopted out anyway :shrug:

That could be an option no? In Egypt what might happen to him, he is such a cutie :sad:

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Onster, couldn't your parents take care of him? If you took Onnie or Bunduk with you, whichever one you left behind might need a playmate.:D

onster
March 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
lol no my dad is at his limit. My mom is likely to spend her time between Egypt and Canada once lil bro gets more settled in Uni.

Chris Harvard :p would be in fall 2010 ;):crazy: I wish lol

onster
March 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I emailed Amina (president of Spare) one of the only shelters I know of in Egypt. But from what I know she only takes abused animals and such....that and at last count she had more than 45 cats and like a handful of adoptions a year :sad:

If worse comes to worse though I guess I could bring him over here but then id try to get him into a rescue rather than a shelter cuz the shelter here is not no kill.

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Onster, this is totally :offtopic:. But, is your icon a little cartoon of Bunduk being Bast? :D

onster
March 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
lol not exactly AG but in my mind it is hehehe

I saw it as a background on a blog by an expat in Egypt and I thought it looked like bunduk and was cool...so i stole it :o U never really see orange basts/bastets eh?

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2009, 12:34 PM
LOL, no, I've only ever seen them mostly in Black and rarely gold. It's a cute little picture though.

onster
March 14th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Spare lady emailed me back she said she can take Scott :thumbs up Theyre still not sure if theyre gonna take that route apparently mobro is 'iffy' about keeping him...but I do know he's not just gonna be released somewhere random and its such a relief to have that option.

Also my SIL emailed me today and told me she is taking in one of the main resident cats, who they named blackie, in for his snip-snip this week. You always have to rely on women when u want to get something done :rolleyes: its only one kitty but its a start :highfive: yay SIL!! :fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr that all goes smoothly! So yeah I may have had a near meltdown over the kitties but it was worht it.

Is 24 hrs post surgery long enough for a kitty to be released after neuter?

14+kitties
March 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
WTG SIL!!!!
If there is someplace he could stay for a few days it would be more ideal. Just in case of infection. However, in the case of ferals they are neutered and released as soon as the effects of the dope has worn off. Is there a small room he could stay in for about 4 or 5 days?

ancientgirl
March 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Onster that's great news!!! Sometimes you have to just have to go nuts on people to get them to realize what the right thing to do is.

onster
March 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM
the problem is they only have a small place (1 bedroom and open layout) and my brother has asthma/allergies like me. Except he ends up knocked out for a few days/at the hospital way more easily than I do :o

My sil said she wanted to get blackie neutered b4 but put it off because of my bro. i guess my kajillion emails to my dad, bros and her reminded her to do it :o She is gonna pay the vet extra to have him boarded there for a day.

I hope isnt a licker like bunduk was cuz he got himself all red and sore and needed a cone.

ancientgirl
March 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Onster, don't you think your bro might get used to him after a while?

onster
March 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
lol too true AG my bros already all me lisa simpson sometimes :rolleyes:

14+ do u think hed be ok since theyd be keeping a close eye on him? The chief gardener has this little area/tent he hangs out in after the day's work and thats primarily where blackie hangs out. He likes to lounge on the couch there ( or so Ive heard).

onster
March 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Onster, don't you think your bro might get used to him after a while?

blackie?....i suppose. He did get used to his cat...but that included 2 hospitlisations and a ventilator thing he had to bring home plus heavy duty antibiotics. That and I think they really just dont want another cat now to be honest.

Blackie likes it outside and is in good hands. Its a closed complex and since he hasnt wandered off till now when he was unneutered i doubt he'll go anywhere neutered. My SIL used to feed him but then the Chief gardener asked her not to because he wanted to. There arent any predators and cars arent allowed in the resort so I think he will be just fine outside.

Its just the post-op my SIL was concerned about.

ancientgirl
March 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Sounds like he's being taken care of, and that's really nice of the gardener to want to take care of him.

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
One kitty at a time :goodvibes: Your SIL is a good woman, onster! :D

I hope it all works out for Scotty, too. It's so nice of SPARE to make a place for him if he needs it.

And I hope Blackie's surgery and recovery go smoothly!

growler~GateKeeper
March 15th, 2009, 01:43 AM
WTG SIL :highfive: & :grouphug: for her paying for the boarding at the vets too. Maybe they can do a cat every couple of months? :fingerscr

:goodvibes: for Blackie

:goodvibes: for Scott. Does SIL know anyone who would adopt him?