Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rough play

joyful_1133
February 12th, 2009, 10:21 AM
hi. i have an australian shepherd collie mix.she is a year old.my problem is when she plays with other dogs she plays very rough. shes not aggressive. but when she plays she growls while grabbing at the other dogs neck pulling at their fur.. she always has to be on top of other dog while playing. is this normal..if not does any 1 know how to solve this.. i appreciate any help i can get.. thank you very much.

bendyfoot
February 12th, 2009, 10:30 AM
oh gosh, that's normal. Is there blood? Is anyone screaming? If no, then they're fine. Although your dog is playing at "dominant dog", if you watch closely, you'll probably see that your dog is baaarely holding on to that skin/fur around the neck...play can LOOK awfully violent, but dogs have a remarkable amount of control. Some dogs play rougher than others. When mine play, there are bared teeth, snarling, growling, barking, and usually someone's getting flattened by the other two. But it's very ritualized and controlled...no one gets hurt and everyone is having fun. Now, if the other dog is not comfortable with the rough play, or you think it's getting out of hand/someone's getting hurt, or the other dog's owner is not comfortable with it, it's your responsibility to step in and stop the play.

Ford Girl
February 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Normal! :) Especially if the other dogs she is playing with dont mind, then let them be. My dog plays super rough with my sis's dog and my BFF's dog, teeth, wrestling, barking, squealing, neck "biting", very primal, like a bunch of wild animals, but they seem to love it. The only thing we discourage is mounting - even in play. Well we try to anyways.

My dogs a very dominent female yet when she plays with her 2 doggie friends, she's always the submissive and lets the other two much smaller dogs dominate the play.

You would know if the other dogs didnt enjoy it, they would try to get away, scream, and not want to play with your dog. Otherwise, let the wrestlemania continue...lol!

kandy
February 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
The two newfs also play very rough - they like to body slam each other. My son's SharPei is very vocal when playing, she sounds like she means business, but she's just playing. She'll jump on Parker's back if he's sitting down and grab his ruff and just shake for all she's worth. LOL When he's tired of it, he just stands up.

If Hazel squishes our little mutt too hard, he lets her know by biting her lip. LOL With little bity dogs, Hazel always lays down so they can jump on her. I think she realizes that her size intimidates little dogs, so she'll reach out to them with her paw while she's laying down to entice them to play.

I don't interfere other than a reminder now and again for Hazel 'to be nice' - unless someone is getting mad.