Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very Hot Weather - heat stroke in pets

moontamara
August 3rd, 2004, 03:33 AM
It's been sickeningly hot here for over a week now, and with a haircut, cool water, ice cubes, a fan which he loves and occasional misting of water, Casey has been getting through it okay. However, his appetite is definitely lower than usual, and today he vomitted a tiny amount of foam. I reacted by wetting him down and giving him a couple ice cubes to lick, and he's perked up quite a bit. If he throws up again I'll run him across the street to the vet clinic but he seems okay for now. Any additional suggestions, or guidelines about preventing and treating heatstroke (or about exactly when it is dangerous) would be greatly appreciated! Should I be tempting him to eat more with healthy treats, or is it okay for him to eat a bit less while it's so hot? I know my appetite is suffering also!

The temperature is 33 degrees Celsius (stays pretty hot all night too) and Casey is a 3.5 month old toy poodle (about 5 pounds).

marko
August 3rd, 2004, 06:32 AM
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-heatstroke.htm

glasslass
August 3rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
Moonie, is Casey already 5 lb? He sounds more like my Den-Den who is a miniature. Discourage him from active playing in the heat. Hard to do with a puppy!

mastifflover
August 3rd, 2004, 10:40 AM
Hi this goes out to all pet owners. Please be very careful in the heat my friend was out with her Rottie and English Mastiff on the weekend for 20 -25 minutes and they got heat stroke. They barely showed any signs just panting. She got home and realized they were not cooling down and rushed them to the vets, unfortunately her Mastiff did not make it and her Rottie is recovering. This is a very informed and educated owner. This could happen to any of us, please just watch the temperature, humidity and your pets.

Luba
August 3rd, 2004, 12:56 PM
Oh dear Lord thats awful!!

It's been hot in Toronto as well. Some days the humidity takes it over 40degrees. I only take my dog out to go to the w/r then back in the house again. Lots of cool treats. Walks we do in the late evening when the sun is down.

chico2
August 3rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
I am very sorry to hear about the Mastiff that is soo sad :( The same goes for cats too,my Rocky had a heatstroke once,but bringing him inside into the a/c house,got him back to normal.He actually passed out and was panting.
We have been outside every day,even in the heat,but unlike dogs,my cats don't play when it's hot,they'll find a shady spot and lay down and watch the birds.I almost got Vinnie to come in the pool today :D

moontamara
August 3rd, 2004, 04:53 PM
Wow -- it can get very serious very fast... good to know, although makes me nervous of course. I don't know what the humidity puts the temperature at here, but I think it's like what the windchill does to the temperature in northwestern Ontario -- it's much better not to know!!!

Glass-glass, stop Casey from playing? Oh boy -- will do my best. Giving him icecubes helps a bit -- he plays with them a little and then calms down and holds it between his paws and licks away! He isn't actually 5 pounds yet -- I'm guessing his weight has almost reached 2 kg based on how it was at the vet last time, which would actually make him around 4.2 pounds? I didn't really think through the math before I posted!

Thank you!!!

glasslass
August 3rd, 2004, 05:47 PM
Playing is ok - just don't throw toys for him to chase, etc. Discourage active play. ;)