Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vishing is latest in long line of scams

Diamondsmum
February 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Just thought id post this for a heads up.

Regional News
February 09, 2009 01:47 PM

Royal Canadian Mounted Police warn of a new scam known as Vishing or Voice Phishing that is linked to Voice over Internet Protocal (VoIP) phone systems.

There have been complaints of people on VoIP phones receiving a pre-recorded phone message urging them to phone another telephone number for an urgent matter, according to the RCMP.

When the victims phone the new number, they are directed to punch in personal information.

Criminals capture the key tones and convert them back to numerical format.

Another alternative involves the victim receiving a phishing e-mail directing them to a VoIP phone number.

Usually, the calls are either upsetting or exciting in nature, demand immediate response and are not personalized, police said.

These criminals are after the three-digit number on the signature panel of your credit card, PIN, social insurance number, date of birth, bank account numbers or passport numbers, police said.

The best crime prevention is to be suspicious of unsolicited communication, never provide personal information in these incidents and donít rely solely on your caller ID, police said.

http://www.yorkregion.com/article/87796

TacoGrl
February 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Again, I will ask...how do people fall for scams like this?!? I mean seriously, someone ask me for ANY pin number or to call some other number for details or to cash a cheque for extra money can go pound sand!

TeriM
February 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Yep, people are suckers :rolleyes:. I even had a client the other day about to respond from a "bank" email. I told her that the bank will never email her asking for that info. She was totally clueless :shrug:.

Diamondsmum
February 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Yup I agree guys..

But more info out there the better protected more people are.

:thumbs up alot of the banking emails LOOK exactly like the banksite. & People arent aware that its not legit.

JennieV
February 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I agree..Especially if they reach an elderly and not computer-savvy person.
:wall:
I had to deal with it, when they left a message to my inlaws, who don't really understand English, (they are italian) and they freaked out. All they understood was that it was URGENT.
I mean this could potentially do real harm, like make the person anxious or afraid and have a heart attack or something.

Some sick people are out there!

We have instructed DH's parents to never EVER agree to anything over the phone, never to give ANY personal info. If its urgent - call one of us (kids), if not - send the info by mail. they have been fradulently put on contracts with different companies 3 or 4 times...Like the cable company..they pressure them, they make them agree to something, then when we find out and try to cancel - they say sorry, its a contract that you cannot break. :wall: Last time we actually had to threaten them with legal action to reverse some changes they applied.

The more people are educated - the better!