Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Indoor retractable dog gates

doglover335
February 10th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I would love suggestions about most practical and safe gates for a dog weighing ~23lbs.
She loves to jump so it would need to be strudy enough and tall enough to prevent her breaking through.

We want to restrict her to one area when not at home. The openings (there are two) are more than 36inches wide.

We are not adverse to permanent attachment to wall. We would prefer retractable rather than swing style.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

luckypenny
February 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
We have the retractable ones here but, I'd prefer the swing style...they seem so much sturdier. ToysRus has a good selection... http://www.toysrus.ca/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2582996&pg=1

SnowDancer
February 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
My American Eskimo weighs 22 lbs. - he could climb the regular gates at 13 weeks - 11 lbs. Took a running leap and jumped to top and tumbled over - we watched from window. Before that, our 10 lb. Dachshunds - at different points in time - we each able to climb up said gates and then swing themselves over. I don't know your dog breed type - but since you mention a jumper - you might have same problem. An Eskie my dog's size can jump to top of a 5 ft. fence from a standing position - an acquaintance recently went through this - her Eskie watched her from his tether while she put up the fence and then did his bit. Some of the Eskie people have put one gate on top of another, that seemed to help. I did try the type that you don't secure to the door - they didn't stay put - which was pointless in our situation anyway.

doglover335
February 13th, 2009, 06:01 PM
We have a Puli - sturdy little lady. I don't know how high she would jump, also concerned about her getting herself caught in some part of the gate.

The pet gates I've seen don't seem very strong. Have been considering a child's safety gate, thinking they may be more secure - manufacturers would be cautious about liability.

One that I viewed was http://www.kidco.com/
Safeway® Model G20
TOP RATED wall mount, swinging gate. The only expandable, plastic-coated, steel gate available that is 30 ˝" high. Recommended for use at the top of stairs, as a window barrier, or even mounted like Dutch doors for high jumping pets.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Thanks.

doglover335
February 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
please tell me how your site works, I had commented on Snow dancer's kind suggestions, however my post did not appear.
Thanks.

SnowDancer
February 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Just go under last reply and hit post reply and then type in your answer - but be fast so that you don't time out.