Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wish me luck with Kiska.

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I'm taking Kiska to the vet. I'd planned on taking her Thursday because we needed to have her rechecked since she had some elevations of something in her liver in November after her Wellness test. But I can't wait until then.

I got home today and first thing I noticed was she was dragging her butt on the floor. I picked her up and it was a little poopy, with what looked like diarrhea. Then I noticed barf on the floor. I also noticed bile in three separate spots around the apartment.

Over the weekend I noticed one of them barfed after breakfast. Two weekends ago I saw Kiska barf as I was feeding them lunch.

I suspect it has something to do with the food. All of these times I had set some Merrick on their plate. I feed them Innova, Innova EVO and Merrick. I change during the week to give them variety, because they seem to get easily bored. I'm taking the Merrick I have left and exchanging it with some Innova.

Right now my little girl is laying on the carrier. She had no interest in treats, and she's always the first in line. This coupled with that day she didn't eat and spent the evening in her carrier has me very worried.

I got lucky and they had an opening tonight at 8:00 and it happens to be with their usual vet. I'm really hoping it's nothing.

Her mood seems to be affecting the others as well.

Please send us some good vibes guys. I'll update when we get back.

sugarcatmom
February 10th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Aww, poor wee Kiska. Good luck at the vets and I hope it just turns out to be a minor GI upset. :goodvibes:

14+kitties
February 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Lots of :goodvibes::fingerscr for you and Kiska. Hoping it is just a upset belly.

krdahmer
February 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Aw poor little miss! I hope it's just an upset tummy and her levels are back to normal! :goodvibes:

Jim Hall
February 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
good luck

Luvmypitgirls
February 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM
sending :goodvibes:...I hope everything is ok with Kiska:pray:

hazelrunpack
February 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
:goodvibes: for Kiska!

:fingerscr it's something trivial and she'll be okay soon! :grouphug:

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I just got back. I had to leave her. The doctor didn't even get a change to look at her. In the time we were there, they had two emergencies. One poor sweet girl went into shock in the waiting room and she died eventually. Another they brought in after being hit by a car. I felt terrible.

The vet asked me to leave her and she would examine her after she finished with surgery. I didn't want to leave her, but I also didn't want to bring her home and then have to wait until her next free appointment which was Thursday. Besides, I'd be worried about her all day tomorrow. So my tiny girl is having a sleep over. I miss her not being here.

I'm really hoping it's just an upset tummy, but this has been going on on and off that she's had barfy's. No more Merrick, just in case.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll let you guys know what the vet says when I hear from her.

Jim Hall
February 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
ty for the update

hazelrunpack
February 10th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I'm sorry you had to leave her :grouphug: But best to get her looked at tonight and then not have to worry till Thursday wondering what's wrong. Will the vet call you tonight?

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hazel, it's a 24 hour clinic and she's on until 6 am. I left her my number and a note to call me at any time. The last time she called me at 4 am. :D I likely won't get the test results from her blood work until the end of the week, but at least she'll get a full exam tonight and they will keep an eye on her.

I gave her kisses before they took her away. My sweey :cloud9:

luckypenny
February 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
:fingerscr It's just a tummy upset from the food. It was a good idea to take her in just in case though. :grouphug: Hope you can get some sleep tonight ancientgirl.

hazelrunpack
February 10th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Aren't 24-hour clinics wonderful? :D Wish I had one around here... :o

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys. I actually have a pet emergency room about 5 minutes from where I live, and then another 24 hour clinic on my way to my vet's 24 hour clinic. Heaven forbid I should ever need them, they are very close and I have 3.

hazelrunpack
February 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Send me one, please? :laughing: Our vet is an hour away and although they have a 24/7 emergency line and are a trauma center, they aren't always staffed 24/7. :o

14+kitties
February 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM
:goodvibes: for Kiska. I am glad the vet is keeping her to give her a good checking over. :thumbs up

TeriM
February 11th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Hope Kiska is fine :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:.

growler~GateKeeper
February 11th, 2009, 03:32 AM
:goodvibes: for Tiny Miss Kiska on both the liver values and the tummy upset :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM
The vet called me around 2:40 am. She said she was going to do some blood work and perhaps an x-ray. She said that Kiska had signs of nausea and that her tummy seemed sensitive to the touch, which isn't normal for her. (I was very impressed she knew what was normal for Kiska and not, that's why I like taking them all to the same vet) She told me she'd call me in 20 minutes, but at 4:00 am I still hadn't heard back. I called at around 4:30 and she was with other patients so the tech told me they ran some blood work and didn't do the x-ray. Something about bacteria.

She was supposed to call me back in an hour but I hadn't heard back, so around 6:ish I left another message for her to call me before she left. I finally just heard from her.

She said Kiska's liver is normal, so that's a huge relief. But she's got some high elevations in her pancreas that could be because she's got a lot of bacteria in her tummy. She told me that could be a number of things including food. So she suggested I not feed her what I suspect may be part of what's causing this, which is the Merrick. Could be she's allergic to something in there, or that particular food just doesn't agree with her. So that's gone from their diet starting now.

They gave her some medication which I will bring home and the vet told me to watch her today and make sure she doesn't vomit anymore and to touch her tummy now and then to see if she's still sensitive. I have to watch her poops too, and then give her another dose of meds at 4.

I asked her if probiotics would be beneficial to them and she said absolutely. That I can try giving them Activia a couple of times a week.

The vet told me she hadn't eaten all night, but that could be because she knows my little girl gets stressed staying there any long period of time. I'm going to take a quick shower then head to the grocery store to get some activia and go pick up my little sweetie. The vet wants me to call her this evening and let her know how she did today.

I'm playing hookey so I'll be ohome today watching her. Thanks for your well wishes guys. I'll keep you updated.
l

Love4himies
February 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Oh poor kiska :grouphug: :grouphug:

Sending some :goodvibes: and some more for good measure :goodvibes:.

krdahmer
February 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
What a good mom playing hookey for your girl! :cloud9: Too sweet, I hope the Activia helps.... and didn't she have a problem with bacteria before? Or was that a different kind... or am I thinking of parasites? Anyhoo... hope getting her off the merrick's helps, I found that when I first started feeding the merricks my guys went nuts for it, then again like wellness and so many others, they changed something, just a little, and now it's not that great and my guys are picky about it. I mean when Buddy gets picky something is really wrong or different... he's like my hoover!

More :goodvibes: for the tiny miss! :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
February 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I hope the meds and the activia do the trick for your little miss, AG. :fingerscr She'll love having you home, that's for sure :D And all the other kitties will thank her for convincing Mom to take the day off. :cat:

:goodvibes: for a swift recovery from whatever ails her.

chico2
February 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
AG,sorry I missed this post:pray:little sweety Kiska will be all better in no time:fingerscr:fingerscr:goodvibes:

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all of your support guys.

I brought her home around 8:00 am. I set some food out for her, but she didn't want it. I gave her a few treats and she ate those, so I knew she was hungry. She didn't want the Activia, so I decided maybe I'd go to the grocery store and get some chicken. I made them some chicken last week and they gobbled it up. So I got some chicken, and came back, and got the oven ready. I decided to also make some brown rice, thinking maybe just some bland food with nothing in it might help her tummy.

Well, when I was cutting the chicken up, she started licking the plastic the chicken was on, and then the chicken. I cut up a few pieces and she started eating them. I don't know if that was a good idea, seeing as she's got what seems to be an over abundance of bacteria (KR, it was parasites she had an issue with before). The release paper from the vet says she has Bacterial Eutero-colitis. Thank goodness for tax refunds, because it cost me a pretty penny. I'm happy I didn't wait until the appointment she did have which ws Thursday. She could have gotten worss.

So, she along with Vlad, Maks and Czari all had some raw chicken. Oksana said no way. :D I think I'll try giving them some neck bones or something next week.

Anyway, she's been walking around and been pretty vocal, which is a lot better than how she was last night. Right now she's taking a nap. I imagine she didn't get much sleep last night, like me!

Oy, I haven't really slept since 2:30ish. But I'm glad to have her home. Maks welcomed her back with open arms. He's amazes me how sweet he is to his brothers and sisters. Vlad is still grouchy, doesn't recognize her smell.

My only worry is the meds. I have to give her two. One every 12 hours, which I'm not worried about for 7 days. But the other, every 8 hours. I'm just not going to be very exact with that one. I have to give her the first doze around noon, then the next at 8 pm. After that, the time gets wacky and I can't give it to her during the day while I'm at work. I'm thinking it's okay to not give it exactly every 8 hours, as long as she gets it 3 or 4 times a day.

Whew! Did I tell you how happy I am to have her home?:D I hate when one is missing, and I hate when they aren't feeling well.

You know, since Kr said Merrick changed the formula a bit, then it makes me think even more it may be that which has caused her issue. When I first started giving it to them, they all loved it. Now not so much. And it's just too much of a coincidence she vomits right after I feed it. I have 8 cans which I will take back tomorrow and just get some Innova, which up to now seems to be working well for them.

Jim Hall
February 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
ahh well i have problems with merrick also i think it may be too rich

chico2
February 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM
AG,did you try Wellness??
I am glad she's feeling better:thumbs up

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Chico, I may try Wellness again, but I can't afford to give it to them daily. Her visit cost me $340. I thank heavens I had money from my tax refund, but that put a monkey wrench in my plans to pay off my debt. It's not so bad, I still may be able to get it done, just not in the time I'd hoped. And I may be able to save another couple of hundred with my next paycheck. I seriously need to have some money for situations like this.

I can't help but think what if I hadn't had any money? I would have had to keep her there until Friday when I got paid. :sad:

She ate good bit of the chicken and brown rice I set out for her. I gave some to the others so they would leave her alone to eat. I have some left for later so I'll give her the rest.

Jim Hall
February 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
mm chicken and brown rice making me hungry

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I added some coconut oil to the brown rice, so it was slightly sweet. And I ground the chicken up in my little food processor that I got at Target. I bought it for just these kinds of uses.

I want to try giving them more home made foods.

BusterBoo
February 11th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Glad to hear that Kiska is feeling better today! That is so great that your Vet is close to you and so familiar with Kiska.

:goodvibes: that Kiska's tummy settles competely.

phoozles
February 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Glad to hear Kiska is doing a bit better.. hope she stays that way! :fingerscr

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Kiska is doing better this evening. But now, Vlad has the poops. In the last hour he's gone to the litter box 4 times. He's upstairs as I type. I talked to the vet earlier when he'd just gone twice, and she told me that if he was like this tomorrow, to call her and she'd just prescribe some meds for him as well.

I had to give Kiska her second medicine a little while ago, so I decided to just give him what I gave Kiska. It's going to do the same thing for him that it's doing for her and it's the same thing the vet is going to give me. I know he's got something and I don't want him suffering the entire night with diarrhea.

I should point out though, he's feeling good enough to still bother Oksana so that's a good sign.

krdahmer
February 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Geez! Poor kitties... the runs suck! :sick: He's quite a bit bigger than Kiska though right? He may need a higher dose, I'm sure the vet could tell you what that is over the phone. Although because he's bigger not smaller, it's not like a lower dose is going to do any harm. I wonder what they picked up?

Ya I really notice the changes in the food now, even my dry is hit or miss, sometimes it's really dark (thats the one Palomine will eat) and sometimes it's lighter and has large kibble in it.:shrug: (I wrote the company about it.) The wet, especially Wellness really changed a few months back, everyone just refused to eat it one day and I could tell it was different even the colour of the labels was off. They're starting to eat it again, but it is very frustrating. Merrick's was really disappointing as they went from more of a pate consistency to chunkier, and my guys hate chunks. :frustrated: Like do these companies not research cats first? Do they not know they don't like change!?! der. :loser: I just can't wait till Friday, my Global has ordered the EVO 95% duck in for me to try!

Hope they get over the colitis quick! :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Kr, I gave him the same dosage as her. You're probably right he might need more, but the vet is hard to pin down in the evening, so I didn't want to wait for her to call me back before giving him something. I feel terrible for him. He looks like Kiska did last night, all mopey. Hopefully the little bit I gave him will at least start doing something. I think what I'll do is call the vet and leave a message that he's really in need of something. Then I can just pick it up on my way home.

My guys don't go for that chunky gravy like stuff. I'm fully convinced the Merrick just went down the wrong way for them. I don't think Oksana, Maks and Czari will be affected too much since they usually don't eat a lot of it. Oksana did have a bit of a bad poop this afternoon, but so far she's only gone the one time. Maks and Czari so far seem fine.

I'm to the point where I just don't know what to give them. They don't care for the Innova EVO turkey and Chicken, or the duck. They will eat the chicken and Turkey kitten & cat formula and sometimes have the beef. But even that they get tired of. That's why I've been also giving them the Merrick, so they can just get a different taste of something for a while. It all was working until now.

chico2
February 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
My cats don't eat chunky either,never have,they lick up their food..so far Wellness is ok with them.
I tried Eagle Pack holistic Duck,they did not eat it:yell:
The only problem I have,they LOVE the Salmon/Turkey Wellness and the Turkey,maybe at times the Chicken,but that's it.
I am worried about giving them too much fishy stuff:confused:

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM
So I'm getting Vlad his medication on the way home, but this morning I started giving him the stuff for the diarrhea. He looked so pathetic my poor baby. But he did have some treats so he did have some appetite. I think he should be okay after a couple of hours. Yesterday when I picked up Kiska from the vet she'd already been given the first round of meds and she was already looking better, so I'm sure my sweet Vlad will feel better by the time I get home.

Chico, I don't like giving my gang fishy stuff too often either. When I just had Vlad and Oksana I'd give it to them almost every other day because they loved the FF salmon and I think they have some ocean fish one. Well, they both started having itchies like crazy! and I had to take them in. The vet gave them something, I can't remember what, but I asked her if it was possible that too much fish in their diet may be causing the itching and she said yes. Ever since then, I only give it to them maybe 3 or 4 times a month. On the weekends I'll give them some Solid Gold tuna and that's their fish treat.

I'm going to take back the Merrick tomorrow and just get some Innova EVO for them. I can tell they're getting tired of it, since I set it out the last few days and they show little interest. Even Czari who will eat darn near anything is getting bored.

I think I will have to go back to giving them some Wellness a few times a week just to give them some variety. They love the Wellness packs, but I can't give them that daily. Those packages are $1.10 each at Petco:eek:

14+kitties
February 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Lots of :grouphug: for your little ones. It's tough dealing with sick kitties.

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I wish I could have stayed home today too, but I had to come in today. I do think he'll start feeling better in a few hours. They gave Kiska her first round of meds at 4:00 am yesterday and when I picked her up around 8:00 am she was already more peppy.

I hate seeing them like that. It breaks my heart even more because they don't understand they will feel better and the medicine will help.

ancientgirl
February 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I'm seriously wondering if there wasn't some parasite issue. Kiska's tests at the vet didn't come back as any parasite issue, just a bacteria in her tummy. The same day I brought her back from the vet, Vlad started having diarrhea. Now today Maks has diarrhea. I started giving him the same medicine I'm giving Vlad and Kiska. I know it has to be related.

So just in case there was something in the litter, I went out and spent a small fortune on new boxes and new litter. I just did not want to deal with cleaning 3 boxes with diarrhea in the litter and on the side of the boxes. I had bought this enzymatic powder to help keep it fresh and added some of that. So whatever the boxes had went with them into the garbage.

He's not eaten dinner. I made chicken, but he's hungry since he ate some treats. Hopefully he'll have a few bites soon. I feel so bad for my little guy.

I just hope Oksana and Czari don't come down with this. Oksana seems to have skated by with just a slight issue a few days ago but she's been fine. If Czari gets it, I may just shoot myself. There is no way I can give her the meds I'm giving the others. It tastes horrible so putting it in food is no good, so it has to be given with a little syringe. And there is no way under the sky Czari will allow me to give that stuff to her.

otter
February 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Oh ancientgirl... sounds like you got something icky going around. I hope Oksana and Czarina are spared :fingerscr

I was reading about this the other day and I soo wanted to give you a hug :grouphug: it's so tough when our family isn't feeling well

I think you were wise to do a litter refresh... give the food and water bowls a good scrubbing maybe add a drop of bleach and let it sit in the bowls for 5 min or so. Just in case the bacteria is still hanging out on a bowl or something.

I'm thinking about you..and the kitties :cat::cat::cat::cat::fingerscr:goodvibes:

ancientgirl
February 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Otter, Oksana had a VERY runny poop before I went to bed, which is 2 in the last two days so i decided she needed to start some meds too.

I feel so overwhelmed. I'm praying Czari doesn't get whatever the others have. I can't restrain her like the others, it's just not possible. I tried restraining her before, just to put eye drops and it was not pretty and became dangerous for the both of us.

So far so good. Maks is eating this morning, and he didn't eat anything yesterday, so that's encouraging. Oksana and Kiska are also eating better. Vlad never lost his appetite so I'm encouraged the medication is working. I just might need to get more before this is over with, because I only have enough for two.

14+kitties
February 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Not fun having sick kitties around. Let's hope the meds continue to do their job. :fingerscr I am hoping Czari doesn't get sick either. It will be difficult to give her meds. :grouphug:

chico2
February 15th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Aww AG:grouphug:,hope they all feel better soon:pray:

ancientgirl
February 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys. *knock on wood* it looks so far like Czari might be okay. I think she may have a stronger constitution than the others, seeing as she was in rougher conditions than the other four.

They all ate very well which is encouraging, and so far nobody has been using the litter box excessively. :fingerscr

krdahmer
February 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys. *knock on wood* it looks so far like Czari might be okay. I think she may have a stronger constitution than the others, seeing as she was in rougher conditions than the other four.

They all ate very well which is encouraging, and so far nobody has been using the litter box excessively. :fingerscr

Wow... all four! Poor babies :sick: :o..... if it hit all 4 like that I'm suspicious that maybe something was wrong with the food (like that's where they picked up the bacteria), and like you said it didn't bother Czarina because she has a stronger digestive system than the rest. I know here when food bothers the cats, Palomine is the only one who never has even a hint of the runs or stomach upset... of course he ate out of a dumpster for a while. :shrug: Maybe that has something to do with Czari & his' stomach of steel.

Hope the meds help and they're all back to regular poopin soon! :goodvibes: (only on here can you wish someone healthy poop and not feel weird about it!:rolleyes::laughing:)

ancientgirl
February 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe that has something to do with Czari & his' stomach of steel.

Yeah, I've no doubt that's what's saved her from the runs. I mean, she was fending for herself for most of the time she was outside and I know she ate birds and smaller animals out there. I saw her once running with a bird in her mouth!

Hope the meds help and they're all back to regular poopin soon! :goodvibes: (only on here can you wish someone healthy poop and not feel weird about it!:rolleyes::laughing:)

LOL, I'm glad I can at least come here and know I don't have to worry about sugar coating anything like vomiting or diarrhea. They already are eating better and haven't used the litter box excessively so I take that as a good sign. I'm not buying Merrick anymore though. I don't even want to take this chance again. I'm not totally blaming the brand, but I will not take a chance on this happening to them again with that food.

Shaykeija
February 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Poor poopertons I hope they all feel better soon

ancientgirl
February 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks. So far they all seem like they are fine.:fingerscr

The vet suggested I give them Activia yogurt, but they don't like it. So I'm looking for a probiotic I can give them with their food. Hopefully that will help them keep their digestive tract healthy.

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I'm glad they all seem to be on the mend :grouphug: There's nothing like pilling marathons, eh? :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
February 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Hazel, if only it were pills. Then I'd be able to stick it in a pill pocket and be done. It's liquid meds that I have to use one of those syringes. OMG, it's so hard getting the medicine in them like that.

I don't want to hold them too hard but they wiggle like nuts and half the time I only get half the medicine in them. The medication tastes bad so I can't mix it in with their food because for sure they'd know something was wrong and just not eat the food.

It's so confusing too. I have two that are on one schedule and two on another. I just gave Vlad and Maks the 12 hours one 4 hours too soon :yell: I have it written down and taped it on to one of the cabinets but I'm just so confused at this point. I have one I have to do every 8 hours, but I can't do that during the week because I'm at work, so I can only give that one to them at the same time as the 12 hour one. But it seems to be working out well either way. I think at this point the most important thing is they get the medicine.

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
We did the same thing. We were pilling 8 on three different schedules, all involving a few weeks on one antibiotic, then switching to a different med :rolleyes: Actually have to give Macie and Cass an extra day cuz I messed up their switchover :o

Is there not a pill form of the meds you have to give? Considering how fussy cats can be about different tasting food, I'd think the more taste-free you can keep meds for cats, the better! Whatever pharmaceutical company decided a liquid form was best wasn't really thinking about cats... :eek:

ancientgirl
February 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
We did the same thing. We were pilling 8 on three different schedules, all involving a few weeks on one antibiotic, then switching to a different med :rolleyes: Actually have to give Macie and Cass an extra day cuz I messed up their switchover :o

Is there not a pill form of the meds you have to give? Considering how fussy cats can be about different tasting food, I'd think the more taste-free you can keep meds for cats, the better! Whatever pharmaceutical company decided a liquid form was best wasn't really thinking about cats... :eek:

I didn't ask if there was a pill form. I just assumed there wasn't since they gave me liquid. One actually is supposed to taste like chicken, so that one isn't as hard to give them. But the other one is apparently horrible tasting because when it's time for that one, they go nuts. I have to wrap a sweater around them just to help keep them from pushing me away with their paws.

You know, you wouldn't think so but these little guys are strong!