Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Koala rescued from Australia's wildfires.

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I really hope they can contain this fire soon. My heard goes out to those who have lost their homes and lives.

Koala rescued from Australia's wildfire wasteland

HEALESVILLE, Australia The koala moved gingerly on scorched paws, crossing the blackened landscape as the fire patrol passed.

Clearly in pain, the animal stopped when it saw firefighter David Tree following behind.

"It was amazing, he turned around, sat on his bum and sort of looked at me with (a look) like, put me out of my misery," Tree told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "I yelled out for a bottle of water. I unscrewed the bottle, tipped it up on his lips and he just took it naturally. He kept reaching for the bottle, almost like a baby."

The team called animal welfare officers as it resumed its patrols on Sunday, the day after deadly firestorms swept southern Victoria state.

"I love nature, and I've handled koalas before. They're not the friendliest things, but I wanted to help him," Tree said.

Tree says he's spoken to wildlife officials, and the koala, nicknamed Sam, is doing fine. And he, it turns out, is a she.

The rescue was one small bright moment in Australia's wildfire tragedy. Thousands of acres (hectares) have been burned out, almost 1,000 homes destroyed and more than 180 people killed.

Countless animals were killed in the disaster, which hit farming and forest regions to the north and east of the Victoria state capital of Melbourne, and many more fled in panic.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Animals said it was establishing shelters to care for thousands of pets and livestock affected by the disaster.

krdahmer
February 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I saw a snippit on the news as I was flipping through, I can't stop to watch as it upsets me too much to think of all that suffering. But I send my :pray: to all those affected tonight, especially the creatures who couldn't flee. :sad:

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM
KR, I made the mistake of looking at a slideshow, and they had a horse that didn't make it. I was furious that they didn't give a warning! It's such a horrible situation.

Shaykeija
February 12th, 2009, 02:12 AM
this just so tragic.....

CClover
February 12th, 2009, 07:01 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/4593118/Australian-bush-fires-Thirsty-koala-becomes-Australias-wild-fire-star.html

cpietra16
February 12th, 2009, 07:02 AM
http://www.citynews.ca/blogs/cityonline_32033.aspx

I just got this clip on Sam....

cpietra16
February 12th, 2009, 07:02 AM
CClover...I think great minds think alike....:D

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I'm so happy to hear she's doing well and that her story is raising awareness that those people and animals need HELP!

chico2
February 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I was thinking of a way to write about this horror happening in Australia,thank's AG for bringing it up.
I cannot even imagine the tragedy,all those people who've perished and the thousands of animals,wild and livestock who died a horrific death.
What makes it even worse,if at all possible,is the fact,someone started the fires:evil:

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Chico, if someone started those fires on purpose I hope they spend eternity in flames. I don't even want to think about the lives lost to this.

krdahmer
February 12th, 2009, 10:56 AM
This story was also mentioned by Ellen yesturday on her talkshow. She showed the photo of the fireman giving the Koala water from the bottle.... hopefully that will spark those that can give to give.:thumbs up (Usually when she raises awareness for something, the donations go pouring in!)

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
That's great! If people are like me, they don't really watch the news. So people like Ellen raising awareness is important.

I get my news online. Watching is just to depressing for me in the evening.