Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ugh! I think I'm a packrat!

Luvmypitgirls
February 8th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I decided to get an early start on my Spring cleaning...and I began with purging my closet...dang I found stuff in there that I wore way way back in like 1988! I even discovered my prom dress from '84! I thought I had gotten rid of that a long time ago.

I also discovered that I my have a bedding fetish:o, I have 31 sets of sheets for our bed alone, and at least a dozen for each of the boys rooms.
Not to mention 1/2 dozen comforters and duvet covers. and at least twice that many for my bed.

I also have a shoe and sweater fetish:o, ummm I have over 200 pairs of shoes and boots and sandals:eek: and I have over 60 sweaters! Some I've had for well over 20 years, and hats I have countless hats:o

I'll be sorting through it all over the coming week, anything still in good shape and still somewhat fashionable will go to charity, and the rest will go to the dump. I have mounds and mounds of stuff in my spare room from my closet alone:o I can't believe how much bigger my closet is now tho', guess I'll have to go shopping to fill up some of the space I have created lol.;)

growler~GateKeeper
February 8th, 2009, 11:23 PM
:eek: whoa that's alot of stuff! :D

:laughing: That's the problem with cleaning out closets they start looking bare & empty which needs to be filled up!

TeriM
February 8th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I can't believe how much bigger my closet is now tho', guess I'll have to go shopping to fill up some of the space I have created lol.;)

STEP AWAY FROM THE MALL :yell::yell: :D.

:eek: Crap, that is a lot of sheets and shoes :eek:.

Luvmypitgirls
February 9th, 2009, 03:48 AM
:o I'm sooo ashamed! LOL.
I have no idea how I accumulated so many sheet sets, and about an hour ago, I found a bag that contains 4 more sets that I bought way back in Sept or October, that I stashed away and forgot about:rolleyes:
I did purchase a couple sets at Christmas too, I found a wicked deal on 1000 thread count sets and purchased two.
I'm keeping the 4 unopened sets and the two sets from Christmas, the rest are going. I've already packed three boxes of bedding to go to charity.
I'm only keeping 4 of the bedding sets, and 4 additional blankets.
My boy's get to keep 2 sets each and three sets of sheets.

Now as for thinning out my shoe collection, well that's just too painful to think about:sad:

Melinda
February 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM
any odd sheet/blanket sets would be welcomed at the spca......

angeldogs
February 9th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Wow that's a lot of sheets and blankets,thats alot of shoes.sounds like a shoe fetish if it's to painful to think about.:laughing:

It's amazing what one can find.forget about the things ones bought see a good deal buy something you think you need forget about it and the cycle continues buying stuff you don't need.

diandpat
February 9th, 2009, 06:17 AM

I was just going to say the same thing. At Christmas, when I finally had enough of everything in the linen closet falling on my head ever time I opened it :D , I packed a huge green garbage bag full of towels, sheets, and old blankets and I (well, Pat actually, (I am not allowed going there for fear a dog should "follow me home :o ) ) dropped it off at the SPCA and they were very very appreciative.

As for the shoes....well you are on your own :laughing::laughing::laughing:

14+kitties
February 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
...as for the shoes..... a homeless shelter or thrift store would be more than happy to take them off your hands.

And to think if I have somewhere 4 or 5 pairs of shoes I think I have lots! :eek:

Love4himies
February 9th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Holy smokes :eek: that is a lot of sheets and shoes. I think I have less than 10 pairs of shoes.

Great idea, 14+, anything that is still usable should be recycled. There are also women shelters who could use some household items such as sheets and such.

ancientgirl
February 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Wow, that's a lot of stuff. I wouldn't throw even the stuff you don't think is fashionable away. Just give it all to some charity. They will take it, believe me.

Man, I probably have less than 20 pair, and really only wear 3 or 4.

I am a pack-rat too though. I was looking for some papers for my dad yesterday and realized I've got a lot of stuff. Mainly stuff I can't set out because of the cats, but i realized I can certainly give much of it away and make some room in my closet.

14+kitties
February 9th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Great idea, 14+, anything that is still usable should be recycled. There are also women shelters who could use some household items such as sheets and such.

Women's shelters would welcome any clothing as well. Sometimes they have to leave so fast..... :sad: And children's clothing is needed just in case your boys are packrats too. :rolleyes:

onster
February 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
lol

if its any consolation, your not alone.

Not me- but my mom!!!

omg! she has not one but *3* closests stuffed with clothes and thats in this country only!!! In egypt shes got another 2!! :|

She still has the dress she wore to her engagement (that is soooo out of fashion) and other dresses/pants "oh I wore this when I was pregnant with your brother" who is now 26!! :eek:

I think she has like 50 shoes or more!

onster
February 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
and theres 2 suitcases in egypt full of our baby clothes :o ehmmm

lol i think my mom is just sentimental :shrug:

Luvmypitgirls
February 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM

I was thinking that I would donate all the odd sheets and blankets and old worn towels to a couple of my favorite rescues.

All the clothes, and sheet sets, and yes some of my "footwear" (:cry:) will be going to the women's shelter.

I went through some of the bins of shoes last night, so far I've thinned my collection by 20 pairs. Not much but it's a start :laughing:

bendyfoot
February 9th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Oooooh, girl, you wouldn't last in my house 5 minutes! I am the Queen of Purging!!! My poor DW has been forced to toss about 90% of her old stuff (I mean, seriously, 20-year old plaid flannel shirt with half the buttons missing? Come ON!!!) We (ok, I) purge at least twice a year. Anything not worn in the past 12 months and still in good shape goes to charity. Any "fat" clothes go too ('cause we're not allowed to go back to being "fat":laughing:). All those extra duvets and sheets, give 'em to your local rescue/shelter or human shelter. You don't need it!! Think of all the money you've wasted on stuff you're not using!!! You could have spent it on more shoes!!! :laughing: Queen of Purge says Get Rid of It!!! :D

TacoGrl
February 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM
See now, your problem is that you decided to do some "spring cleaning" instead of reading a nice book or going for a walk by the river...that will learn ya! ;)

Donating is the best idea...people seem to forget about donating unless it is Christmas :frustrated:

Luvmypitgirls
February 9th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Lmao Bendy...did you say "more shoes"?:D

bendyfoot
February 9th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hey, if you get rid of a bunch of clothes and the shoes you haven't worn in the past year, a little reward is in order.

A LITTLE reward, mind you.

Luvmypitgirls
February 9th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hey, if you get rid of a bunch of clothes and the shoes you haven't worn in the past year, a little reward is in order.

A LITTLE reward, mind you.

ohhhh yes a little reward will be in order...think I'll pass on the shoes tho', I was browsing my favorite boutique's website and found a Guess bag that I would love to have!...(to add to my bag/purse collection:o)...something else that will be somewhat painful to thin out:cry:

Luvmypitgirls
February 9th, 2009, 11:17 AM
lol

if its any consolation, your not alone.

Not me- but my mom!!!

omg! she has not one but *3* closests stuffed with clothes and thats in this country only!!! In egypt shes got another 2!! :|

She still has the dress she wore to her engagement (that is soooo out of fashion) and other dresses/pants "oh I wore this when I was pregnant with your brother" who is now 26!! :eek:

I think she has like 50 shoes or more!

Ohhhhh onster, how I would love to have closets full of "stuff" in other countries!:D lol...."Excuse me dear while I fly to Italy, to grab my favorite blouse"!...lol

dustybird
February 10th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I know it's been said but yes that is a lot of sheets and shoes. Hubby thinks I have lots of shoes and I think in total I have maybe 10 pairs...and none of them are very nice as all but I think two pairs are for work. We only have two sets of sheets. My problem is I can't seem to get rid of stuff I don't need due to who gave them to me, I put to much sentimental value on things. It took me years to thin out my stuffed animals, I think I had stuffies like you have shoes. I knew when and who gave me all of them, I do however still have my very first teddy bear....and a few others.

Donating is the best idea, it doesn't matter how old as long as it's in good conditon. There are a lot of places right now in need of used clothing etc...from what I have heard donations are down.

Luvmypitgirls
February 10th, 2009, 10:04 AM
OMG there is a shoe sale at my favorite store!

lol, I'm not going to partake in buying any more shoes at this time, but I did notice the flyer for the sale and my heart skipped a beat.

So far I have relinquished 57 pairs to the "Go Pile", today I am hoping to sort thru the rest. I am hoping to dwindle down the "Stay Pile" to about 30 pairs.

JennieV
February 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM
LMPG, I am sooo printing your thread! My DH thinks that my lousy 12 pairs of shoes are waaaaay too much to have. he doesn't understand how there are functional shoes, and pretty ones, and ..and..and...
you surely get my point!
:D
Kudos to you for being able to do that! I procrastinate! I think that i will get inspired and go do it like today!

Luvmypitgirls
February 10th, 2009, 05:14 PM
LMPG, I am sooo printing your thread! My DH thinks that my lousy 12 pairs of shoes are waaaaay too much to have. he doesn't understand how there are functional shoes, and pretty ones, and ..and..and...
you surely get my point!
:D
Kudos to you for being able to do that! I procrastinate! I think that i will get inspired and go do it like today!

JennieV, it's so nice to know that there's someone that shares in my love for shoes...lol...You are so right, there are functional shoes, and pretty ones, and..and..and..:D...:laughing:

I made some progress today, I added another dozen or so pairs to the "Go Pile", ok so it's slow progress but it is progress!:laughing:

I came across a pair I bought in Vegas, I have worn them once (while in Vegas lol...that was like 5 yrs ago). I won't be adding them to the "Go Pile" simply because they are a reminder of my Vegas trip, the one and only out of country trip I ever took, by myself.

I did take a quick trip to the shoe store to check out the sale...:o...and I did end up buying...a pair of slippers :laughing:...I haven't owned slippers in a long time, and since we've put in laminate my feet are always cold, so I figured if I am purging my shoes, I could treat myself to a pair of slippers.
I must confess, I did carry around a beautiful pair of faux crock stilletto's for about 20 minutes, omg they were some sexy shoes and I was so tempted, but I settled for just the slippers when I got to the till.

JennieV
February 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
LMPG, maybe you could have a garage sale?
I mean, if you have shoes that were worn once or twice, and you sell them at $5/pair, at 20 or so pairs you made a $100!

The less sellable ones could be donated just as well, but at least you get something out of this too.

Luvmypitgirls
February 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
LMPG, maybe you could have a garage sale?
I mean, if you have shoes that were worn once or twice, and you sell them at $5/pair, at 20 or so pairs you made a $100!

The less sellable ones could be donated just as well, but at least you get something out of this too.

I thought about that too, , but to be honest, I'd rather just donate the stuff to a women's shelter. Less stressful, on me and my dogs.

Ford Girl
February 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
...dang I found stuff in there that I wore way way back in like 1988! I even discovered my prom dress from '84! I thought I had gotten rid of that a long time ago.

I wanna see a fashion show of these clothes circa 1980's. ;) Come on - we all loved the 80's. Throw on some Madonna and let's see em. :p

Luvmypitgirls
February 11th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I wanna see a fashion show of these clothes circa 1980's. ;) Come on - we all loved the 80's. Throw on some Madonna and let's see em. :p

LMAO FG, no Madonna fashion for me girl cuz in the 80's I was dressed in Punk:o....I even had a mohawk at one point :o...(sigh)...how embarassing:o