Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Actually Sewed Something!

Smiley14
February 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I don't know how to sew, but I asked for a cheapy sewing machine for Christmas so I could learn how to make basic ribbon dog collars. My parents came down this weekend for a visit, so my Mom taught me the bare basics (I still no nothing, LOL!) and I made my first dog collar!!!! YAY! I'm so excited! I made two, just simple practice ones. They're super easy and only take like 10 minutes to make. But even then, mine still turned out terrible as I can't sew in a straight line to save my life. :) But I'm still excited as I know I just need more practice. I can't wait to go back to JoAnn's to buy more ribbon and webbing. :)

I made boring turquoise and navy for Petey as I have two turquoise, navy, and white flowered collars for the girls and wanted a basic navy collar for Petey to match the girls anyway. :)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/smileysteph14/Sewing201st20collar20022.jpg

Skinny ribbon where I was trying to do a stripe, but it's all crooked. Oops! :)
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/smileysteph14/Sewing201st20collar20023.jpg

A wider ribbon about the same size as the webbing proved much easier, so I'll be doing that for a while until I get better at this. :laughing:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/smileysteph14/Sewing201st20collar20037.jpg

Now I want to find some fun patterned ribbon to make more. I think I'll try some Easter collars next! They only cost about $4 each to make. :)

angeldogs
February 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Looks good to me.so does Petey sporting it.:thumbs up
Takes practice.i could sew as a kid.my grandmother showed me as a kid.she could sew anything and everything but all came with practice.

ancientgirl
February 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
That looks really good. I have a pretty nice sewing machine a friend got me several Christmases ago. It takes practice. I can't use my machine because i don't even have a table to put it on right now.

Pretty soon you'll be making a lot of really fancy collars.:D

MommaKat
February 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM
It does take practise, but sewing is a lot of fun! I love the collar and I think Petey looks great in it. I have a new sewing machine I got for christmas that I have not tried yet, maybe I will break it open.

hazelrunpack
February 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
They look pretty darn good to me! Much better than hazel can do :o

So do you sew the ribbon on a woven nylon collar? Or do you actually make the base collar, too? They look super however you do it! And Petey should be a collar model! :thumbs up

Frenchy
February 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The collar looks great smiley14 ! :thumbs up pretty soon you'll be able to sew cute little outfit for Petey , Belle and Jelly :thumbs up

babymomma
February 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Oh kewl! I would love to a collar for keely!

krdahmer
February 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Nice job... I have a sewing machine, it's only been out of the hutch once... and I ended up throwing out the pants I was attempting to fix! :rolleyes::laughing:

Smiley14
February 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys!!! Today was my first time even using a sewing machine, LOL, so hopefully I'll get better at it and can sew straighter stitches. :)

Hazel, you actually make the whole thing! You buy nylon or cotton webbing, ribbon, and thread at the fabric store and the buckle, slider, and D-Ring at the fabric store as well. I found all of the supplies at JoAnn Fabrics. You cut the webbing to size, sew the ribbon on top of it, and sew in the buckles, D ring, and slider.

I used these directions as they were really easy to understand:
http://www.dog-paw-print.com/how-to-make-a-dog-collar.html

And then these directions include the slider that we just incorporated into the above directions:
http://www.uberpest.com/collar.html

If someone already knows how to sew, it would be super easy. I've never sewn before, so my Mom had to also teach me how to use the machine and set up the bobbin and thread the needle and such. :) Now I just have to learn how to sew in a straight line, LOL!

Diamondsmum
February 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
AWW smiley those are awesome :)

When my DD was learning I used old scraps & just let her get the feel of the sewing machine & to sew in a straight line. even folding it helped her.

Now she is faster & straighter then me

Good luck & great job!:highfive:

Smiley14
February 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
AWW smiley those are awesome :)

When my DD was learning I used old scraps & just let her get the feel of the sewing machine & to sew in a straight line. even folding it helped her.

Now she is faster & straighter then me

Good luck & great job!:highfive:

That's what my Mom had me do first as well! We took an old pillowcase since I didn't have any fabric scraps and used that. :) I only practiced a half dozen times though so kept the pillow case to practice some more on still. :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
February 9th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Smiley the collar looks great :thumbs up and you picked colours that so nicely compliment Petey's colouring :lovestruck:

Scuba
February 9th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Wow, great job for your first time. Great colour combinations.

Just a few words of advice and suggestions.

1) Next time you are at the fabric store, ask them for scrap pieces of webbing or the end of the rolls. These are cheap and good to practice your sewing technique on.

2) If you don't have sewing machine oil, go out and get some now. This is very important. Also look up in the manual of the sewing machine (if there isn't one, call the manufacturer and ask for one - often free) where to put the oil.

3) Get the heaviest gauge needle that your machine can handle. Also check the needle tip often, once it is worn change it. If you don't know what a worn needle looks like, compare it to one that you know is brand spanking new for sure. The differences will be obvious, even to the naked eye.

4) Have fun!

hazelrunpack
February 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Those are really good instructions, Smiley! :thumbs up hazel is getting the urge to try to make one... However, madame hazel realizes that hazel and sewing machines in combination are a recipe for disaster, so she's trying her hardest to dissuade hazel... If I stop posting for a week or so while the puncture wounds heal, you'll know madame haze was unsuccessful... :o

Smiley14
February 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Wow, great job for your first time. Great colour combinations.

Just a few words of advice and suggestions.

1) Next time you are at the fabric store, ask them for scrap pieces of webbing or the end of the rolls. These are cheap and good to practice your sewing technique on.

2) If you don't have sewing machine oil, go out and get some now. This is very important. Also look up in the manual of the sewing machine (if there isn't one, call the manufacturer and ask for one - often free) where to put the oil.

3) Get the heaviest gauge needle that your machine can handle. Also check the needle tip often, once it is worn change it. If you don't know what a worn needle looks like, compare it to one that you know is brand spanking new for sure. The differences will be obvious, even to the naked eye.

4) Have fun!

Oh, thank you so much!!!!!

Smiley14
February 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Those are really good instructions, Smiley! :thumbs up hazel is getting the urge to try to make one... However, madame hazel realizes that hazel and sewing machines in combination are a recipe for disaster, so she's trying her hardest to dissuade hazel... If I stop posting for a week or so while the puncture wounds heal, you'll know madame haze was unsuccessful... :o

LOL, I hear you. I was convinced I would run over a finger or something. :laughing: Fortunately there's not much actual sewing involved so even someone like me who's never touched a sewing machine before can do it. :thumbs up Well, mine isn't very good up close as you can see all my crooked stitches, but at least I did it, LOL! I just have to keep practicing. :) I hope you do try it!!!! If you know how to sew even a little bit, they really don't take more than 10 minutes to do!

Scuba
February 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Smiley - Just thought of some other stuff.

a) Use a thread that is suitable. Since most webbing are of fairly heavy nylon, you need to use a thread that is appropriately heavy as well. Next time you are at the fabric store, tell them what you are doing and ask for threads that are suitable. Alternative is to use threads designed to be used for carpets. Or look for 100% nylon #69 thread (something like 7-9 pounds of break strength). 100% polyester threads are OK too for your application and some people will even say that is a better choice.

b) If you are having a hard time getting the needle and thread to punch through what you are sewing, try waxing the thread. Just run a candle along the thread.

c) Remember if you plan on doing this a lot, especially if you start sewing webbing like tubular nylon (I heart that stuff) you might need a better machine.

PS. The next bit will probably be too much for you to understand at the moment but once you practice enough, you will understand it.

d) Have the correct tension, there should be some sort of dial or lever on your machine (look up in the manual). You want the stitches to be even (depth and spacing) on both sides (top and bottom).

Once again, have fun.

Smiley14
February 9th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Smiley - Just thought of some other stuff.

a) Use a thread that is suitable. Since most webbing are of fairly heavy nylon, you need to use a thread that is appropriately heavy as well. Next time you are at the fabric store, tell them what you are doing and ask for threads that are suitable. Alternative is to use threads designed to be used for carpets. Or look for 100% nylon #69 thread (something like 7-9 pounds of break strength). 100% polyester threads are OK too for your application and some people will even say that is a better choice.

b) If you are having a hard time getting the needle and thread to punch through what you are sewing, try waxing the thread. Just run a candle along the thread.

c) Remember if you plan on doing this a lot, especially if you start sewing webbing like tubular nylon (I heart that stuff) you might need a better machine.

PS. The next bit will probably be too much for you to understand at the moment but once you practice enough, you will understand it.

d) Have the correct tension, there should be some sort of dial or lever on your machine (look up in the manual). You want the stitches to be even (depth and spacing) on both sides (top and bottom).

Once again, have fun.

Oh, thank you again so much for taking the time to write all these hints and tips out!!! I really appreciate it!!! My Mom did adjust the tension for me, so that's good. :)