Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has anyone fed food from Mulligan Stew Pet Food?

Pipercats
February 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Today, while at Metro Pet, picking up the usual assortment of cans for the kids I got some cans of food that they had just got in. It is called Mulligan Stew. Metro is the first store in Canada to get it, but it is available in the US. I am wondering if anyone has fed it, and what the results have been. Kurt and Ross at the shop are very impressed with it so we decided to try some. If the kids like it, we will add it to the rotation in their foods.

Their web site is: www.mulliganstewpetfood.com/index.php

Listed ingredients:
http://mulliganstewpetfood.com/mulligan-stew-cat-food.php

The named protein seems to be in the names of each food: Salmon, Trout, Turkey, Trout & Whitefish.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) - 8.5%
Crude Fat (min) - 6.0%
Ash (max) - 2.8%
Crude Fiber (max) - 1.5%
Moisture (max) - 78%
Methionine (min) - 0.14%
Cysteine* (min) - 0.14%

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.

Ingredients:
Protein Source
Water sufficient for processing
Cabbabe
Poultry liver
Brown Rice
Horseradish
L-Methionine
L-Cysteine
Beta-Carotene

Calorie Content (calculated):
ME kcal/kg - 1050
ME kcal/5.5 oz can - 167

Thanks
Bill

kathryn
February 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM
It's okay. I'm indifferent to it. It is a pretty okay brand though. Would not recommend for dogs with allergies because some of their ingredients I've noticed a bit allergenic.

Pipercats
February 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the input Kathryn.

We have tried a can of each variety with our kids. Overall, they seem pretty much indifferent to it, with the exception of the Salmon which they pretty much avoided after a few bites. By their reactions, I think we will stick with continuing to alternate Evo and Wysong canned.

Our puppy Cleo would not touch the canned dog food. She seems pretty much stuck on Wysong Pheasant with the occasional dive into the cats wet food.

sugarcatmom
February 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
As an occasional meal, it probably wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure it's balanced enough for everyday feeding. There's no taurine, and the calcium/phosphorus ratio is a little off (not enough calcium, IMO). As well, cats need vit A, they can't convert beta-carotene. And they spelt cabbage wrong (assuming that that's what they meant by "cabbabe" :rolleyes:).