Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finally! A Great Article In the Ottawa Sun about BYB's!

Melanie1010
February 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM
www.ottawasun.com/Lifestyle/2009/02/08/8309436-sun.html

Finally!! An article that calls out all those free classified ad site for being loaded with BYB and Puppymills. Sadly the article doesnt suggest rescuing or shelters (I have sent the Sun an email about that - It should of been mentioned)

And another plus - Refers to Raw Feeding and the benefits!

Small steps.. hopefully even just a few people decide to do better research after reading the article..

Etown_Chick
February 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Whoohooooooo! It's progress!
I agree, offering an alternative (rescues being my number one choice) would have steered people somewhere.
Problem is, by spring (prime puppy season) a lot of people will have forgotten that article...sigh...damm humans, dummest of the animal species at times.

Melanie1010
February 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I know eh... its so frustrating the timing of things like this!! An article like this would of been better if it had offered rescuing or mentioning humane societies being overloaded with dogs and cats, from puppies to seniors all looking for loving home! But Im glad it calls out free classified sites for what they are - full of BYB who as the article says - know nothing and have no business breeding more animals into this world when so many are without homes. In the least it may keep a few people from going to an ad from there for a pet and really do more research before supporting BYB, Pet Stores and Puppymills.

I hope someone responds to my email about Petfinder.com and Rescues...

BusterBoo
February 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Glad to hear the Sun is trying to stop the BYBs! In past experience, I have found that the Sun does respond to all email (God knows I have written them more than once), but they don't usually follow up in the paper on what people suggest.

If only I had of known 3 yrs ago what I know now.... I bought Buster off of Kijiji.....sorry I didn't know any better then. :shrug:

Melanie1010
February 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I as well Busterboo didnt completely understand the amount of irresponsible people using kijiji to sell and mass produce dogs and cats until a few years back.. Honestly, I didnt know what the term BYB even was 5 -6 years ago. Our first dog (in 1994) was clearly from a Backyard Breeder looking back, but at my age then I was completely oblivious to these things (I would of been 9.. ) and sadly Zesty was put down in 2003 due to Pyometra since my dad never spayed her... if only I knew the things I know now back then (about BYB, Spaying and Neutering and how important it is) maybe Zesty would still be here... but I have taken all the knowledge I have now, and continue to learn and try to educate others since we all know more now then we used to!