Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tethering outdoors

mydognika
February 8th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Is it a good idea to tether my dog outdoors? If so, how much room do I give her? I have a large backyard, and so far, the dog (12 wks old) has been allowed to roam freely.

angeldogs
February 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
How long is the pup going to be tethered for.?.i would tether for long periods given the age of the pup and elements outside.extreme cold or heat the pup might not fair to well.is the pup going to be supervised.?

I do tether every once in awhile and he is supervised and only long enough for me and the wife to have a smoke out front as it's not fenced in and only in good weather.and only once every blue as i feel it can be dangerous

Melinda
February 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I tether my dog on a 50 foot rope for her potty breaks only, if its nice out and she wants to lay in the sun then I'll leave her for a bit but our back door is wide open so she can walk in whenever she likes, and I can see her at all times, many dogs have been stolen while tied up outside and there is the chance of her/him getting tangled in the lead...which could be disasterous

angeldogs
February 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
The house across from me kept their well over 100lbs rotty cross tethered on a chain and didn't make home in time and the chain was hit by lightening and he died.the force of the lightening snapped the chain and threw him across the yard over a fence.you must be careful when tethering.

MommaKat
February 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I think a tie out is safer than letting her free to roam the yard. Melinda made some really good points about the dangers of dogs tethered outside. If you do tie her outside, make sure she is secure and supervised . You want to give her enough room to move around and do her business .

I have to use a tie out for my dogs and I don't like it , I can't wait until we can afford a fence for them.

kandy
February 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I would agree that it depends on how long you intend to keep the dog tethered. When you say right now the pup has free roam of the yard, is the yard fenced?? And if the yard is fenced, is there some reason the pup needs to be tethered? Is the dog an indoor dog?

In addition to the dangers already pointed out, dogs that are constantly tethered are also more likely to bite. Of course tethering is definitely preferable to letting the dog roam loose through the whole neighborhood.

I have a fully fenced yard and a dog door that allows my dogs to be outside or inside as they choose. It does allow for them to bring in more dirt, snow, etc., and take things outside that shouldn't be there (like shoes...lol) but all in all, I love my dog door.

mona_b
February 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I'm assuming you are with the pup when outside right? If so, I see no need to tie up a 12 week old pup...:)

mydognika
February 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks all for suggestions. I do have a fenced in yard and we keep a close eye on our pup when she's roaming. I've been told to tether so they can become accustomed to it, especially when you go camping or somewhere that she's required to be tied up.