Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Behavioral Problem

faeriesmagick
February 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
i've read the Top 15 most talked about questions about cats and thier litter box but nothing is like my situation

i have a 2 1/2 year old calico cross tabby that i got from a friends aunt whos cat got pregnant. i also have a 4-5 year old american shorthair. lately ive been cleaning up too much cat pee. its always in the same spot. shes never done anything like this before unless shes been locked in a room by accident which she cannot be blamed for. she pees in my bathroom on the laundry basket. sometimes in it too. shes also peed on my clean clothes on my bed aswell as in my purse. its nothing like spraying because its always on a floor or on a surface. she use to pee in the bathroom sink which wasn't a problem for me, or so i thought. she isn't spayed because shes an inside cat and frankly is scared of outside. my dog recently got out of surgery for cancer. i asked the vet about it and she said that its most likely behavioral. ive never caught her doing it but its very obvious its her because my older cat has never done anything like this before EVER and i always hear her using the litterbox. lately she has begun to bring poo out of the litterbox and put it on the stairs.

im not sure if shes jealous of the attention of my other animals, my older cat is slightly favored from my roommates because of her calmness and my dog is getting attention because of medication and his pain.

sugarcatmom
February 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Did the vet do any blood work or a urinalysis? It's important to rule out medical causes for inappropriate elimination before assuming it's behavioural. How many litter boxes do you have? Are they covered or uncovered? How often do you clean them? What type of litter do you use? These are all factors that can effect litter box use. More info here: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

faeriesmagick
February 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM
i have one giant litterbox which is covered which i clean once every 2-3 days
i just sweet wheat litter, the stuff thats not made of clay and doesn't get dust everywhere including my cats lungs when she covers her business.
no the vet didn't do any tests on my cat the visit was for my dog.

im just asking on here because it came on very suddenly after really no change in anything around the house and the behavior isn't what i've read as the medical issues.

my next spending spree is getting her fixed but i don't even know if that will help

bds1960to
February 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Did the vet do any blood work or a urinalysis? It's important to rule out medical causes for inappropriate elimination before assuming it's behavioural. How many litter boxes do you have? Are they covered or uncovered? How often do you clean them? What type of litter do you use? These are all factors that can effect litter box use. More info here: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

Absolutely agree. We had a cat who suddenly began urinating in one spot in the apartment. We thought it behavioural. By the time we got her to the vet and found it to be, in fact, a medical problem, it was too late. She was so close to having complete renal failure that we had to put her down.

ancientgirl
February 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Sugarcatmom is correct in suggesting you rule out anything medical first. That could explain what's happening. If it's not medical, then you may want to consider getting another litterbox. The rule is one for each cat, plus one extra. Some cats don't like to use the same litter box as another cat. I don't adhere to this, because I just don't have the room for 6 boxes. I consider myself very lucky mine all share 3 boxes, 1 of which is covered. I also use Swheat Scoop. I clean the boxes out daily, to keep from them getting too dirty and smelly.

You should also buy en enzymatic cleaner to clean the areas that has been peed on, since if there is any trace of urine smell left behind, they will be able to smell it and pee in the area over and over.

rhartjr
February 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I agree with everyone else, first rule out a medical condition. I've only ever had two cats that started peeing outside the box. One was a male with chrystals in his bladder but he was just peeing in front of the box. The other, and it actually took me a while to figure out what was going on, was a long time ago when I only had three cats and one litter box. Turns out the older dominant female was guarding the litter box and not allowing that particular one to use it. Now she was peeing in all sorts of differant places, when she did it on a stack of my (second) wifes clothes I just figured she didn't like my wife.

After you rule out a medical problem try setting up a second litter box somewhere else in the house and clean it daily instead of every two or three days. See if that makes a difference.

faeriesmagick
February 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
i will definitely set up an appointment now since everyone thinks its best. i personally dont think theres anything wrong but now my worried have gotten the best of me.

i dont have money to spend frivolously so i was just wondering how much it would be for this type of visit to the vet. i have to save up before i can go since my dogs surgery has taken all of my savings.

thanks for the advice

catlover2
February 11th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I agree she should see a vet to rule out any medical problem.

Most unspayed female cats will mark their territory, especially when in heat. Some females have "silent heats" where they don't vocalize that much, and you may not be aware she is in heat, but will urinate outside the box. You should get your girl spayed as soon as possible. It is not healthy for your girl and will likely lead to expensive medical complications if you let your girl continuously have heat cycles. I realize you're in a financial crunch, but perhaps your vet can let you pay over a period of months?