Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fear of fireworks/gunshots

Barbsy
February 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Our adopted Kelly II from the SPCA spent the past New Year's Eve in fear; neighbours shot off fireworks at midnight and she went into a shivering frenzy for about 3 and half hours. Earlier in December, while walking her, we heard fireworks at a distance; she literally tried to climb up my husband's leg, so he ended up carrying her to the car. She's also heard gunshots at a distance, which may sound like fireworks to her. Vet advised giving her 25 mg "Gravol." a couple hours of anticipated fireworks. Have to turn down volume on t.v. when gunshots anticipated. She's a spaniel mix, about 20 lbs. Any suggestions?

faeriesmagick
February 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
my 5 year old german shedpard siberian husky is the same way. halloween is always a production. we adopted him when he was approx. a year old. he was abandoned and we think that something has happened to him involving loud noises, even possible guns. when we first brought him home he would cower away when we lifted our hands to turn on a lightswitch.

i usually have a shower and bring my dog in the bathroom so he can't hear anything other than the water running if theres fireworks or anything of that nature going on outside, although when he gets scared he usually jumps in the bathtub.

Barbsy
February 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for replying. It's amazing what we have to do for our pets; but then, they are so loyal. We owe to do what we in time of their need.