Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ugh. She really hates me.

krdahmer
February 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Poor Smoke is traumatized and not in a jokey ha-ha kinda way but a really sad I think she really hates us kind of way. I've had to give her meds before, even pills, but for some reason we are at the point now where every time we approach her even just to pet her, she begins drolling and sticking her tongue out as if to try to spit out a pill. Hubby thinks he may have hurt her a little Wed morning trying to get her to take her pill (as she has also found a hiding spot in the basement neither one of us can find, I couldn't catch her before work so he had to pill her for me). She has been spending all her time in the basement, not eating well (she seems to be taking in enough liquids, I've been doing the 'squeezing the scruff' test) and is generally in bad spirits.

I feel like a horrible monster! I've had to set her back up in the office because I need to know if and how much she's eating, and today I went to the vet to get a different pill. These are smaller and only given once a day, but got the same reaction as the others. In fact when I entered the office just a while ago, an hour after her first new pill, she ran to the corner and cowered, drolling and meowling. :sad: :cry: Every time I touch her she starts licking her lips. While I was at the vets I also got her some of her very favorite food, and I think she did eat some treats today or last night that I left on her little hidey bed downstairs. But of course when I went down, Buddy was laying not 2 feet from her, so he may have ate them as well. :shrug:

As far as I know she has been peeing pretty normal though (I've been scooping 10-12 regular sized pee clumps the last few days, which is very average for this bunch). It's the fact that I think us pilling her or the pills themselves have turned her off of her food that concerns me, of all my kitties, she is the only one who can't afford to lose even a couple of ounces. If I find she's not eating over the weekend, should I try watering down some wet food and using a syringe? (as I cannot afford an emerg visit... still owe my vet $100... they are being very understanding about the bill, I'm doing 3 installments...) I'm off all weekend so I'll be able to keep a close eye on her, but I'm just really concerned... she deals with so much stress already from the boys I just hate that I am having to add to it, so she really has not a soul to trust right now. My vet said they'd pill her for me, but I can't drive back and forth to St kitts every day!

Bah. I just needed to vent, and I'm just really hoping that when she's finally better, she'll forget what a monster she thinks I am right now:sad: and forgive me!:pray: And then maybe I'll get some sleep too.

sugarcatmom
February 6th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Antibiotics can really do a number on a cat's digestive system, making them feel nauseous. It's not uncommon for them to go off their food, and it is very dangerous. You might want to talk to the vet about either the Covenia injection (which would also eliminate the whole pilling problem) or else stopping the antibiotics all together. Is something like Pill Pockets an option? Do you know the name of the antibiotic she's on? If it's something like Clavamox, that can usually be pulverized and mixed into a tasty treat such as baby food.

You don't happen to have Smoke's urinalysis results, do you? I'd be interested to know what her urine specific gravity is, because many times a urinary tract issue is not actually due to infection, but inflammation. Vets tend to hand out antibiotics regardless.

Adding a pinch of high potency probiotics to some food might be a good idea at this point, if she'll eat. And it is crucial that she eat! I don't know about syringing, it could just add to the stress she's already under. Try tempting her with a buffet of offerings, like tuna, salmon, sardines, baby food, deli meat, cheese, whatever it takes. An appetite stimulant might be necessary if that doesn't work.

krdahmer
February 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks SCM, I had every intention of getting the results today but somehow got sidetracked while there discussing the pilling problem. I'll call in the am and see if they can maybe email or read me the important stats over the phone. I'll pick up some baby food tonight and see how it goes, I have some of her favorite dental food out in the office now and am hoping if it's just me stressing her out she'll eat while I'm out running errands. I know she ate something early yesturday, but that's the last one I'm sure of. And it was Clavamox she was on, and now it's about 1/3 of a pill of Baytril once a day. I've never had a problem with the other guys eating on these meds, but they're not lite eaters to begin with.

Frenchy
February 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Giving pills to a cat can be .... HARD ! I've been lucky , I put the pills in a bit of canned food and they just eat it. I guess this won't work if Smoke has loss her appetite. :sad:

krdahmer
February 7th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Woo fancy feast!!!! Gotta love kitty junk food... she's gingerly licking a can of salmon pate... not wolfing it down but at least interested in eating!!!! :thumbs up I will sleep so much better tonight and am going to get her a few more cans tomorrow! I don't really care what it is, as long as she's eating and canned is even better! I think we're at about a tablespoon already! Which is more than she's ate in the last 36 hours... so I'm ecstatic! Maybe Fancy feast will help me get her on to canned food in general, that would be great. Her and Windy used to get fancy feast canned pate when they were kittens, then stopped eating it for some reason so I just gave up and stopped getting it... hopefully she'll start remembering the good old days and forget that she hates me right now! :rolleyes: :fingerscr

Up to about 1/4 of the can already!!! http://bestsmileys.com/excited/2.gif

Lets hope she still likes it tomorrow! :pray:

growler~GateKeeper
February 7th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Her drooling/lip licking/sticking out tongue may also be a reaction to the taste of the pills :shrug:

krdahmer
February 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I definitely think it's the taste, I gave her one of the others today and the drooling wasn't so bad, at least not as bad as with the first batch. I need to go to bed, and although I know it really shouldn't be left out, I am going to leave her the salmon, as she keeps going back to it and having a little at a time. We're up to about 1/3 of the can now. I get up for pee breaks through the night and I'll put whatever she's left in the organics. I'll have to get more in the am, as I know she's never been big on leftovers, even when they're put away fresh.

But she's snuggled up against my arm finally:o..... maybe I can just sleep in the computer chair tonight....:rolleyes: :D oops nope forgot to take my insulin.... gotta move anyhow... Hopefully she remembers tomorrow that she liked me before we went to bed tonight! :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
February 7th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Wet food left out is fine even for several hours & she may even surprise you by finishing it by morning :D

Some meds will also foam or froth on contact w/liquid/saliva so that may also be happening there too. :shrug:

Good grrl Smoke givin' some cuddles :cloud9:

rainbow
February 7th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I've left wet food out with no problems ....just add a tiny bit of water to it if it gets dried out looking. :)

Glad Smoke seems to be doing better .....hope it continues. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
February 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Aw.... not only does she hate me less this morning... but I mixed up the food and she's just having her second little helping (still only down about 1/2 the can, but it's a start)! And we have a fair sized pee in the litter box too, this time she is staying in here until I see poop though, want to make sure she's eating AND pooping. :thumbs up Thanks again for helpin last night Growler, and Rainbow (see you got in after I went off to bed). :grouphug:

14+kitties
February 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Good to know that Smoke is starting to feel better. It sucks the pills tasted so bad it turned her against you. So sad. I wish they would make pills a little more palatable for kitties. :grouphug: to her and to you. It is tough dealing with sick babies.

want4rain
February 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM
could it be some sort of physical reaction to the pills? an allergy of some sort??

-ashley

hazelrunpack
February 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Glad to hear Smoke's feeling a little better, kr! Did you get a poopie? :fingerscr :D

krdahmer
February 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Nope not yet... but 2 good size pees! She hasn't touched any dry food, and has only had about 1/2-3/4 of a can of fancy feast since yesturday... I'm hoping she'll eat some more over night and maybe have to poop by tomorrow. I'm not too concerned yet as she hasn't had much to eat so I'm sure there isn't much to poop either (and I suspect she did poop yesturday or the night before as there were 6 in the boxes downstairs last night). Got my :fingerscr that they'll be some waiting for me in the am though. :goodvibes:

rainbow
February 7th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Is she still eating the same? That's not a heck of alot but she will probably poop by tomorrow since she also seems to be more relaxed now. How is the pilling going? :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
February 8th, 2009, 12:08 AM
You're most welcome kr :) :grouphug: Glad to hear she's eating some & peeing good :thumbs up she'll probably poop for you in the next day or two. Yeah how is the pilling going now?

chico2
February 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Dahmer,I've been mashing up Rockys pill in his food now for a long time,there is NO WAY,Rocky would take a pill if I just put it in his mouth.
He gets about a tbsp of food with his pill mashed in it,after that he gets more food,it helps that he has HyperT and a good appetite of course.
Good Luck with sweet Smoke.:grouphug:

krdahmer
February 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Ya the appetite thing is why we can't put pills in food with her, she is a very light eater even when she feels well. These pills are much better, I think she's noticed too that they aren't so bad because last nights wasn't such a fight, plus they are only like 1/3 of a pill because she's so small, the vet cut them up for us. And they don't melt right away if they hit her tongue like the others did.

And we had poop this mornin!!!:thumbs uphttp://bestsmileys.com/excited/2.gif It wasn't real big and may have been loose (I think she stepped on it after burying it) but with med changes and food she hasn't eaten in years (fancy feast) I'm sure that's to be expected. And there was more pee too! SO everything is on the move again and she was eating the dental food she usually goes crazy for this morning (I do think hubby was on to something, I think he may have used too much force with her and hurt her jaw muscles a bit on wed... because last night she would pick them up to eat them but then when she went to chew she'd just spit them back out.) I've got the window cracked and she's watching squirrels now and was asleep on the chair cushion I put down by the door(she had been sleeping on the hardwood floor in the closet) so I think she's feeling better. I may let her out tomorrow, my dad and I replaced a few tiles yesturday and we're grouting them today, so she'll be less stressed in here.

I really am so thankful to you guys for listening (reading) and being so supportive:grouphug:.... before I found this place I was quite an over-reacter (not that I'm not now) and would really almost make myself sick with worry when the cats got sick. Now I see that that is no help to them, and having this place to vent my worries and frustrations helps me be better able to care for them.:cloud9::D

14+kitties
February 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/7.gif Yay for poop!!!!!!
Once more this is the only place I know where we are happy about poop!!! :rolleyes:
I'm am so glad Smoke is on the mend.

ancientgirl
February 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Kr, I totally missed this. What's wrong with Smoke?

You know, I used to give Czari her pills in a Pounce hairball treat. It's like a little pillow and I was able to slide her bill inside. She loved it and never ever spit out the treat or pill. I also used to get the moist treats and just sort of mash them and wrap the pill in it. If it's okay for you to crush the pill, then her crunching them shouldn't be an issue. Czari would just think it was a crunchy treat inside. It's less traumatic for her and easier, especially for me since I had nobody to help me hold her.

krdahmer
February 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM
She has a urinary infection. But is much improved already... I've tried hiding pills for her before, but she is really good at spitting things up if there is even a hint of pill in it. These ones just once a day being so small are not so bad... which reminds me it's time for hers soon!

ancientgirl
February 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Aww, I hope she gets better soon.

krdahmer
February 9th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Well she's doing great with food, eating the dental stuff again, drinking plenty of water and had a large pee this morning! Her pills are going down much better so tomorrow after work, she'll be out of the office I think. (She seems to almost be enjoying it though... maybe needed some alone time.) Also because I've been hanging out in here so much with her, all of my end of year paperwork is done! :thumbs up I took some pics yesturday, I'll try to get around to posting them after work today... which I should get ready for now! :) Oh and last night she let me pick her up and give her lots of snuggles! :lovestruck::cloud9:

chico2
February 9th, 2009, 07:35 AM
That's a good girl Smoke,can't wait for pics,she is sooo beautiful:lovestruck:

krdahmer
February 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I got home from work just now...(still have an errand and am washing the van... then pics ;) ) and she only left crumbs of the wet food I gave her this mornin, and she's working on cleaning those up now!!! So I think the change in pill has made a huge difference in her appetite! What a relief!

clm
February 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Excellent news! Been a real struggle up til now. Let's hope this is the new trend going forward.

Cindy

rainbow
February 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Glad to hear that Smoke is doing so well :thumbs up ......looking forward to the pics of your purrty girl. :goodvibes:

TeriM
February 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Glad she is feeling so much better :highfive:.

ancientgirl
February 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
She'll be as good as new in no time.:cloud9:

chico2
February 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Dahmer,that's great,now we need the promised pics:laughing:

rhartjr
February 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Glad to hear your cat is doing so much better. I recently had to do Clavimox with one of my cats that had quit eating. But along with the Clavimox we also did Flagyl twice a day with it. It got him (with just a little work) eating almost right a way.