Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What kind of play is this?

Mahealani770
February 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone!

Well, Kainoa will be 11 weeks old and is bad as all hell. She needs obedience training YESTERDAY!!

Anywho... most of you know that our Pomeranian, Nicky, has wanted NOTHING to do with Kai. He's very mean to her and snaps at her constantly. She pesters him to play so we try and keep her away from him so that he can have as stress-free of a life as possible, but she will NOT stop going at him. We pull Kai away from Nicky over and over again and say "No" or "settle" but that hasn't worked. We try rolling her on her side and holding her there until she stops struggling (takes about 5 seconds)...still she continues. The same goes for her biting...no matter what we do, she will not stop. This is not why I'm posting though...

Tonight Kai's "play" with Nicky was different. She would paw at his face like normal to get his attention, but this time she would immediately put her butt in his face after pawing at him. She did this over and over again until he finally mounted her. I was sick. I yelled and he got off of her but I'm not sure what to think. She has never done that before....sticking her rearend in his face over and over like that. She's only 11 weeks! What's going on here? lol She's my baby! I can't have this! Is this some kind of "sexual play" already, at her young age?

By the way... Nicky is fixed. How old does Kai need to be before we can get her spayed?

babymomma
February 6th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Maybe she was trying to initiate play with your pom, But instead he showed her his dominance by mounting her?

Keely does this with a stuffed dog. She dominates it every chance she gets. lol. Silly dog..

Anyways. For a dog, a small dog especially, Im pretty sure it would be safer to wait until she is 6 months. But it can be done earlier, but there are more risks involved.

bendyfoot
February 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Our youngest female (about 9 months) ALWAYS puts her butt in the other dog's faces, especially our dominant female. To me, it looks like a "defensive manouver"...like, she snaps at Gracie, then whips around and puts her rear in Gracie's face in a quasi-play-bow kinda posture, and Gracie doesn't quite know what to do with it, so Heidi gets away with the cheeky snapping :rolleyes: (Repeat x100:laughing:) It certainly does NOT look like sexual behaviour to me, but that's our situation...

Mahealani770
February 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hi Bendy! That's exactly what Kai does! She antagonizes Nicky and then whips around and puts her butt in his face, as if she wants him to mount her. She keeps this up until he finally does! Ugh...