Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice about an elderly cat

sharisika
February 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hello,
I am new here but was hoping to get some thoughts or advice about an elderly cat that belongs to somebody else. Their attitude is this cat has little time left so even though it has health problems, they are allowing it to run free in the alley. Yesterday, it was raining & the cat was wet & shivering & weighs all of 3 lbs. The owner says she is senial, has diabetes but she is not about to give the cat insulin shots. She said "been there done that". She told me she leaves every weekend & if the cat is outside, she just leaves it outside. She also feels the cat may have had a stroke due to one eye pupil is bigger than the other. I feed a couple of alley cats who were trapped, & neutered. I have been feeding them for 12 years, that is how I know about this other cat. The cat just stares out in space after he eats the food & she gobbles it down like she is starving.
It is true that the kitty seems happy outside & I'm concerned I am imposing my own values on the subject. On weeknights they do bring her in after dark (but not on weekends). She was missing for 2 weeks just recently & that is why they put a phone number on her colar. That is how I was able to speak with them. I feel they are neglecting this cat & that it has too many health problems to be exposed to the outdoors. This is not my cat so legally I don't know what I can do about the situation or if my assumption is correct. That is why I'd like feedback here. I really appreciate any thoughts or advice on this matter. BTW, when I spoke to & questioned the owner about dehydration & vet care...she was very defensive.
Sincerely,
Sharisika

sugarcatmom
February 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
The owner says she is senial, has diabetes but she is not about to give the cat insulin shots.

That constitutes animal cruelty. This cat will either die a slow death of starvation, or will come down with some agonizing complications due to the untreated diabetes. They should at least have the balls to euthanize the poor thing if they aren't going to buck up and take responsiblity for it's health and well being. If it were me, I'd be abducting the cat and at least taking it for a vet check. How would they even know if she just went missing.

BenMax
February 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Welcome aboard.

What a situation. I understand your dilemma however you cannot impose your values on this person - but there was nothing wrong with showing her that YOU care - and that's why she was offended. Her guilt.

If there are no laws about keeping cats indoors then there is no recourse. It is a very sad situation as one can plainly see that she does not value her pet as you or I would. My suspicion is that she wants the cat to just fade away without putting any more $$ (or any for that matter) into making her cat comfortable.

Maybe someone else here can help with some suggestions.

BTW - thanks for caring.

badger
February 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I really feel for you. Having those kinds of conversations with people who are unable to see an animal's suffering, or see it and decide to let 'nature take its course' are so frustrating. Even if you are diplomatic, it's like they can see you coming a mile off and immediately take a defensive position. Then you're the bad guy for being such a freaking fanatic :laughing: But thanks for trying.

You could offer to take the cat off her hands, that's the only solution I can see.

14+kitties
February 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Yep, I agree with SCM and badger. Abducting the kitty, if only for a vet visit, or talk to the owner to see if they would be willing to surrender kitty to you. The poor thing needs to be looked after. How sad. :sad:

badger
February 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah but if Sharisika took the cat to the vet, and paid for it, the owner would still probably not do the treatments, she's already spelled that out.

Offer her money.

rainbow
February 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Yes, I would ask the owner if she is willing to surrender the cat to you. :pray:

Welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up and thank you for caring about this poor kitty. :angel:

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Shaykeija
February 7th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks for sharing a very nice information about pets.i would like to appreciate to all viewers views here and hope for great discussion session in next.

huh?
:shrug: I miss something?

sharisika
February 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hello,
I appreciate all your thoughts.
I have 3 cats of my own & my landlord only knows about 2. I can't take another one in. I am just so frustrated with people who won't take care of their pets.
A second incident is a neighbor who moved & dumped his cat on me.
I'm thinking seriously of placing an ad for both cats, otherwise I would have 5 cats including the elderly one & the dumped one.
The dumped one is very cool & has extra toes, such a nice cat.
Does anyone have any suggestions about placing safe ads for animals so they don't end up in a lab or unneccisarily euthanized?
Thanks again Sincerely,
Sharisika