Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Now we've got an injured raccoon around

clm
February 5th, 2009, 06:10 AM
got home from work before DH yesterday and there was a raccoon trying to eat some of the frozen cat food from the morning. Poor thing. I wasn't too excited about seeing it as it was broad daylight and they're normally not out and about during the day. Then I saw the blood. His front right paw has been badly injured. Had to have been pretty recent as he was still bleeding. :sad: I was afraid of rabies first, then noticed other than the paw he looks normal and he wanted to get away, he didn't challenge me. I've only seen rabid animals a few times before and they couldn't eat, their coats have a real funny look too, and they didn't have any fear. I told DH about him in case he runs across him.
No way he can climb with that paw for sure. I didn't get a good enough look at it to see if he'd actually lost it or if he just had it closed up. He disappeared under a car we don't use that has snow cover right up to the doors, so he'd at least be warm in there. He's too mobile to call animal control, by the time they'd get there it would be spring and he can still move fast enough and is skittish enough that I doubt they'd be able to catch him. I've called them before and they're so understaffed it's pathetic. They're not too excited about dealing with wildlife either, wouldn't even come out the last time I called about an injured goose.:frustrated:
I got some dry food and some fresh wet food and the outdoor cats promptly came and ate it all, so I put out more after they went into their dens and he came and ate.
I hope the poor thing manages to heal up. If he's around again tonight and doesn't look like he's on the mend I may have to trap him.

Cindy

Melinda
February 5th, 2009, 06:18 AM
ontario has all but wiped out rabies in raccoons, we haven't had a case since 2005 and it takes two years of being "clean" to be able to state that we've wiped it out. Is there anyway you can make a shelter for the raccoon to keep warm? maybe toss an old towel under the car he's sleeping under? wet and dry cat food will help him heal up, they are very meticulous in their grooming. if the bleeding stops and you suspect any infection at all, ask your vet for a low dose of antibiotics and grind it up into the cat food, (I coated oreo cookies creme with some for an injured squirrel) once he's healed he should continue on his way, but he may have made the car his sanctuary for now. Oh and he will need fresh water..a deep dish of it , they like to also wash their food in it, snow will just dehydrate them.

krdahmer
February 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Aw poor raccoon! Could you put out some table scraps too? I know that's what my MIL puts out for her raccoons, and they love it. :goodvibes: & :pray: that he heals up and stays safe and keeps eating! And :grouphug: for you for being so concerned and trying to help! :lovestruck:

Diamondsmum
February 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Awww Clm.. I to had a Injured raccoon Were pretty sure Daddy Raccoon wanted cha-bookie & Mama didnt They had a fight & Momma threw Daddy off our roof of 2 storey house & he landed on the interlock brick, We watched him scramble up the tree right after. that was I think 2 years ago) he is still around but he doesnt use that paw or leg at all to climb. he uses 3 legs/paws. I think despite his disability he seems to get ALL the ladies here as I always see him with another adult raccoon & babies as well.

I took this last spring? I think

http://www.pets.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=146

Chris21711
February 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I posted in this thread that the OSPCA responded to injured wildlife calls in Mississauga, I was wrong :o

I just checked with my daughter and the Animal Control are contracted by the city to deal with all wildlife calls.

Sorry :o