Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possibly a New owner! ... had a few questions!

Shining Star
February 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hi everyone,

Well I have always wanted a dog, and recently we've decided as a family, to get serious into thinking about purchasing one. And we're looking forward to getting them from breeders. After much research, we have decided that we're going with the Beagle breed, (mix) is fine. Actually, this Sunday we have two meet and greet appointments. Now, I've been doing my research, and I've been reading about how to tell the difference between a good breeder and someone that runs a ' puppy mill.' So I have a list of questions I'm prepared to ask them, when a few of my family members and I go down this weekend, but I'm confused on a few things.

1.) What about if the dam and sire of the puppies are not present, when we go down to see the puppies?

.. I don't really remember, but I once read somewhere that when you're going to see a litter of puppies, it's good if the mom and dad are on site .. so you can see them .. and see their temperament and nature as well .

What IF ..the dam and sire are not on site? .. IS that a bad sign ?

2.) I know another ques to ask is if we can see the registration papers - meaning the CKC and pedigrees.

now im really confused about this. Are ALL ' good ' breeders supposed to supply pedigrees to potential owners, even if they're ' small ' breeders?
And this CKC - Canadian Kennel Club ... is about registering your dogs, right?

Can someone please shine some light :p on this issue. What exactly is CKC and are all puppies supposed to be registered? When buying a puppy, do you have to get it registered with the CKC. As far as I know, theres only ONE registration thing you have to do, and that's get your dog licensed!

So can someone please just help me out .. with these two things :$ .
ii really wanna know what I'm getting into, and I wanna be prepared before going down this Sunday .

Thanks so much u guys!

14+kitties
February 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
If you are willing to look at mixes you will not find one at a reputable breeder. They don't "do" mixes. Why not visit your local Humane Society or check out Petfinder.com. You will be amazed at the purebred dogs you will find.

If you cannot see mom and dad when you go to check out these pups on Sunday run, don't walk, as fast as you can away................

Winston
February 4th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Welcome! I personally dont know much about breeding dogs but maybe they have to be registered soomewhere? As for your question about the parents, personally I would want to see them..

Have you ever looked on petfinder.com? I just quickly did a search for a beagle of any size and any age and there were multiple pages of them available! Theres nothing more rewarding to know you have saved another from the life in a shelter or eventual death!

Why dont you check out your local humane society and bring the family along! I have seen many purebreds in shelters and SPCA's! think about it how many purebred pups arrived in time for Christmas! and its now February and many are fed up with that cute little puppy! What are they going to do with it? I am sure its obvious! Good Luck in your search ! I hope youll consider a rescue!

Cindy

pitgrrl
February 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Well I have always wanted a dog, and recently we've decided as a family, to get serious into thinking about purchasing one. And we're looking forward to getting them from breeders. After much research, we have decided that we're going with the Beagle breed, (mix) is fine. Actually, this Sunday we have two meet and greet appointments. Now, I've been doing my research, and I've been reading about how to tell the difference between a good breeder and someone that runs a ' puppy mill.' So I have a list of questions I'm prepared to ask them, when a few of my family members and I go down this weekend, but I'm confused on a few things.

Congrats on deciding to get a dog. I'm sure you and your family will have a blast!

1.) What about if the dam and sire of the puppies are not present, when we go down to see the puppies?

.. I don't really remember, but I once read somewhere that when you're going to see a litter of puppies, it's good if the mom and dad are on site .. so you can see them .. and see their temperament and nature as well .

What IF ..the dam and sire are not on site? .. IS that a bad sign ?

I think it's more than reasonable to expect to meet mom and dad, unless, of course, a male was used whom does not belong to the same person as the mom. The issue though, is that this is perhaps not quite as clear cut a question as mom+dad on site=ethical breeder. You'll need to look at the whole picture as there are certainly friendly folks, with a lovely home and both parents available for you to meet who still have no business breeding dogs.

May I ask where you found the breeders you are going to visit this weekend?

Is your desire to look for a dog from a breeder motivated by wanting a puppy, or are there other factors?

2.) I know another ques to ask is if we can see the registration papers - meaning the CKC and pedigrees.

now im really confused about this. Are ALL ' good ' breeders supposed to supply pedigrees to potential owners, even if they're ' small ' breeders?
And this CKC - Canadian Kennel Club ... is about registering your dogs, right?

Can someone please shine some light :p on this issue. What exactly is CKC and are all puppies supposed to be registered? When buying a puppy, do you have to get it registered with the CKC. As far as I know, theres only ONE registration thing you have to do, and that's get your dog licensed!

Kennel Clubs, such as the CKC, register litters of purebred dogs, basically like keeping track of the family trees of purebred dogs. It's worth mentioning though, that a dog being registered, and therefore having papers, does not, on it's own, necessarily say anything about how ethical the breeder you're dealing with is or the health and temperament of the dog you're looking to purchase.

As 14+ mentioned, a mixed breed dog won't be papered (well actually, I think there are a few "designer breed' registries popping up, but they're nothing more than a money maker frankly), if that's what you're looking for, and you won't be finding an ethical, responsible breeder creating these mixes.

Dee-O-Gee
February 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM
If you are willing to look at mixes you will not find one at a reputable breeder. They don't "do" mixes. Why not visit your local Humane Society or check out Petfinder.com. You will be amazed at the purebred dogs you will find.

If you cannot see mom and dad when you go to check out these pups on Sunday run, don't walk, as fast as you can away................

I have to agree with 14+....if you cannot see the parents on your Sunday visit...run as fast as you can away!!!

The key thing is to make sure you know what you're looking for in that pup. We bought 2 purebred puppies and when we went to visit the litters, I tucked a piece of 8x11 piece of paper in my pocket. :lightbulb:

While sitting on the floor--all these puppies approached us. Which ever one flopped on their back for a belly rub meant they were very docile and loving.

I then removed the piece of paper from my pocket and crumpled it in between both hands. While some scurried away from the sound of the paper crumpling, a couple remained and sniffed the piece of paper out of curiousity. It was the belly rub while sniffing the piece of paper that sold us on our little Gryphon.

I truly believe that these techniques were far more valuable then a piece of registration paper as they proved that we made a wise choice in our family addition :)

Best of luck to you and your visits--keep us all in touch of your journeys and when you do come home with your new addition--WE WANT PICTURES :)

14+kitties
February 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Maybe this thread will help you find some of the answers you are searching for.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59820

Shining Star
February 4th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Congrats on deciding to get a dog. I'm sure you and your family will have a blast!

May I ask where you found the breeders you are going to visit this weekend?

Is your desire to look for a dog from a breeder motivated by wanting a puppy, or are there other factors?

we're considering to get a puppy from a breeder, because for me, pet stores are out of the question...and yes, getting it from a breeder is motivated by wanting a puppy. What other factor would there be? :S

The site where we found the breeder(s) we want to go down and take a look at .. are from Kijiji but .. other than the breeders found on that site, we're also considering a puppy from Maple Oak Kennels ...(http://www.mapleoakkennels.com/index.php)

Shining Star
February 4th, 2009, 11:47 PM

.. okay I just went to the site right now, and this is very embarrassing, but When i type in the information on the left side of the page, underneath "Search For a Pet" I'm not getting any results, as I live in Canada, so when I put our postal code, it doesn't recognize it and it asks for a Zip code .. :|

Melinda
February 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM
instead of using your postal code, type in your city and province, only use the 2 letter code for your province, I type in Cornwall, On for where I live

Rottielover
February 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I just want to make things a little clearer as for COE breeders, most and I do say most will not have both parents, as they want to find the right match to better the breed. Many breeders will either do AI or have the male sent in for the stud.
Make sure the mom is on site, and you can ask for information about the stud, then go onto the OFA website to make sure both parents are there and all health testing has been done.
Also if looking in the US, please be careful, CKC usually means Connenetial Kennel Club.

mona_b
February 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Many breeders will have the Sire brought from another "ethical" breeder..You can ask the breeder for the contact info of the Dam breeder...;)..Or if the breeder does have the Sire, it's out of a different line.

As for the CKC papers, yes, ALL pups MUST be registered(by the breeder).This is proof the pup is pure...You should also get the pedigree papers.This shows the lineage of the Dams and Sires backround.And the breeder should have a contract that you sign..This either a non-breeding (if you plan on showing) or a s/n contract.

The breeder should also be a member of the CKC and in good standing..And also be a member of the Beagle Club of Canada.

Dam and Sire must be health/genetic cleared and certified.

There is Usually a waiting list for pups. Also look for titles...This is how you can tell if they are of breed standard.

Honestly, I don't know of any ethical breeder letting you take 2 pups from the same litter...I know my breeder didn't when I went to get my 2 pups..Mine were related but not sibblings.

Does it have to be a pup? Not sure where you are, but the Hamilton SPCA has quite a few Beagles..And they are ADORABLE....:cloud9:

pitgrrl
February 5th, 2009, 01:02 PM
we're considering to get a puppy from a breeder, because for me, pet stores are out of the question...and yes, getting it from a breeder is motivated by wanting a puppy. What other factor would there be? :S

Well, you might be interested in showing your future dog, or competing in a variety of dog sports/events. These would be the reasons I might look to a breeder, where as a search for a family pet would have me looking into rescue as there are wonderful dogs available, of all ages, and one doesn't need a purebred and/or papered dog to have a fabulous companion and family memeber.

The site where we found the breeder(s) we want to go down and take a look at .. are from Kijiji but .. other than the breeders found on that site, we're also considering a puppy from Maple Oak Kennels ...(http://www.mapleoakkennels.com/index.php)

I would be extremely wary of finding a breeder on kijiji, craigslist or in any other classified ads. If you're really set on getting a dog from a breeder, you might want to contact your local breed club, attend some dog events in your area, try to network with breed fanciers in your area. You're likely to get far better information that way, and perhaps make some connections which will help you in the long run.

As they don't mention it on their site, I would inquire (with all breeders you contact actually) what kind of health testing is done. I'm not really familiar with Beagles specifically, so you may want to do a little research into what, if any, specific issues are more common in the breed, but one would certainly expect breed appropriate health testing, beyond just a "they're healthy" from a general vet.

14+kitties
February 10th, 2009, 05:00 PM
This site may also help you distinguish a "good" breeder from a "bad" one.

http://www.heartlandgdr.org/truths_about_retail_puppies.htm

I cannot copy it here as it is copyrighted.