Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Acana and Orijen Questions

SuperWanda
February 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I have been feeding my two dogs Orijen since it first came out and have had no problems with it.

I do have one dog that is getting some arthritis and so am going to try giving her more fish oil to see if that reduces the inflammation. I have supplemented with glucosamine for years but am finding it really doesn't seem to give the same results as it use to.

Because of that, I have always wondered about the potato in the food and have heard that arthritis sufferers should limit potato however I really don't know if there is scientific evidence to back this.

I noticed that the Acana Provincial has pea, pumpkin and potato but the regular Acana contains oatmeal and no potato. So, I was curious about trying it even though I know I would be taking a dive down in the protein department however I do cook for them as well so could just add extra meat.

My arthritic dog also has trouble with anal glands, so I add extra fiber to the Orijen - now I know grains have no place in a dogs nutrition but in this case I see the benefit of grains which help to bulk up her stool and give her some relief with these anal gland issues.

Just curious to know if people and pets like the Regular Acana or Acana Provincial? Especially if you have also tried the Orijen - do you see any differences?

Thanks!

Chris21711
February 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I never tried the Orijen SuperWanda, but have fed the dogs the regular Acana and now feed the Acana Grasslands grain free. Cocoa my picky one definately likes the grain free better and never leaves any food in her bowl :thumbs up Also the difference in the protein levels is not really that drastic.

Regarding the arthritis I started using RecoverySA about 4 months ago now and the improvement in Cocoa (14 1/2 yrs) has been really noticeable.

Here is a link where I have spoken about it:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60383

SuperWanda
February 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks Chris - I'll have to research the RecoverySA. Where do you buy it?

Chris21711
February 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks Chris - I'll have to research the RecoverySA. Where do you buy it?

I get mine from our Vet. I have only been buying the small size (200 grms) I wanted to see how well it did for her, the next one will be the larger size. For the smaller size I have been paying $25 the dosage is 1/4 to 1/2 tspn per 20lb weight. I have been going with the 1/2tspn per 20lbs. I recall that after the first month I started noticing a subtle difference.

rainbow
February 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I live in a small town in B.C. and the Recovery is also available at both pharmacies here and the health food store if you want to compare prices.

My 3 1/2 yr old lab doesn't have arthritis very bad yet but he has had part of the meniscus removed in both knees so it's only a matter of time. He is presently only on glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplements and I sometimes add green lipped mussel supplements as well. Also am going to try hyaluronic acid supplements instead of the green lipped mussel next time. He has been doing very well on these supplements so far. :)

I just started feeding both my boys Acana Provincial Pacifica. They were on Orijen Adult (chicken based formula) before that and also occassionally the Acana Salmon & Oatmeal formula. I found no difference with feeding any of those brands. As far as no potato with arthritis, they also say not to feed any grains with arthritis ....... I think it depends on the dog. :D

Also, can you still get the regular Acana Salmon & Oatmeal where you are? It's not on the shelves here and when I checked Champion Pet Foods website I didn't see it listed there either. :shrug:

Chris21711
February 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'll check and see if they have it in Global when I go this week Rainbow.

I'm gonna check in the Drugstore to see if they sell the Recovery there, if they do I'm thinking it should be a bit cheaper. If Chase is doing good on the supplements you are giving him now, don't fix it if it ain't broke, why change, no reason to right :shrug: Before I was giving Cocoa just Gluc/Chon and I didn't really notice an improvement, that being said, it probably did help.

SuperWanda
February 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Rainbow,

I haven't seen the Salmon & Oatmeal but I will look more closely when I am at one of the big pet stores and let you know. Perhaps it has been discontinued now that they have their new formulas.

3 1/2 is very young for your lab to have those problems - I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't heard of the green lipped mussel - I'll have to look into that as well.

I did a search for the Recovery RA and they only listed the people formulas available here - maybe I will e-mail them to see if they have the pet formulas. I noticed it contains extracts from grapes but dogs should not eat grapes - I imagine this is okay though since it is only a specific nutrient from the grape and not the entire fruit???

rainbow
February 5th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Rainbow,

I haven't seen the Salmon & Oatmeal but I will look more closely when I am at one of the big pet stores and let you know. Perhaps it has been discontinued now that they have their new formulas.

3 1/2 is very young for your lab to have those problems - I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't heard of the green lipped mussel - I'll have to look into that as well.

I did a search for the Recovery RA and they only listed the people formulas available here - maybe I will e-mail them to see if they have the pet formulas. I noticed it contains extracts from grapes but dogs should not eat grapes - I imagine this is okay though since it is only a specific nutrient from the grape and not the entire fruit???

I am pretty sure that they have discontined the Acana Salmon & Oatmeal formula since they were having a hard time getting an adequate supply of fish. :sad:

Here is the information on the pet formula of Recovery .....

http://www.recoverysa.com/recovery_sa.htm

Here is some information on green lipped mussel .....

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1198

This is the brand that I have used .....

http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?action=itemdetail&item_id=3875

And, their quality statement .....

http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?cat_id=1495

SuperWanda
February 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks Rainbow! :)