Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What needs to happen before something is done about this!!!

otis'mom
February 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Calgary Zoo admits it may be to blame for deaths of 41 stingrays last spring.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5h7ZsBBzqHei19CRw67mQm_laE3KQ

I cant believe there is no really repercussions for this things! Its bad enough that there are so many animals living in captivity, now there safety is at risk far too often and very little consequence. This type of thing in not acceptable and breaks my heart to hear. Sorry I had to vent and thought what better place then here.

luckypenny
February 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
The call from Zoocheck Canada comes as the president of the Calgary Zoo admitted human error is almost certainly to blame for the deaths of 41 stingrays last spring.

"We need to be very frank here and our main expertise is not in fish at the Calgary Zoo," president Clement Lanthier admitted at a news conference.

If it's not their specialty, why on earth would they keep them :confused:? Sounds pretty irresponsible to me :shrug:.

lUvMyLaB<3
February 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I watched that too.. like nice excuse.. we don't know what we are doing so... JEEZ! THEN WHY did they get them in the first place if they could not provide PROPER care??!!? Animals in zoos have NO rights! It is aweful! A bunch of wild animals trapped in cages for people to look at.. i appreciate the education part, to teach about other animlas and endagered animals.. but I don't get the way a lot of them are treated, and it is very sad... In this day and age i think zoo's need to change, a lot. and when something like this happens there should be some very serious repricusions.. I really hate the attitude, oh well they are just animals that so many have.. It is so not fair.. ok and it is off topic but, circus animals?? EEK! HATE IT!! My kids have never been to a circus that has animal acts.. and never ever will that is so pathetic and heartbreaking in my opinion..

Magicwildwolf69
February 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
that is so horrible and what about the other deaths it said that four gorillas a baby elephant and a hippo have died as well. And all the higher ups can say is it is easy to sit back and critize well i think its time they got some new management in there and totally fixed that place. Well all zoos need to be fixed..i agree with you guys on that so sad how our world is coming out :sad:

NoahGrey
February 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
How about what needs happen for anything to be done about the plight of all animals, wheather living in captivity or factory farm, puppy mill, circus's, roadside zoos, the bears that are forced to entertain in parts of the world, the puppy and kitten markets in parts of the world, the sharks that have their fins cut off, the whaling, I could go on.

ACO22