Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 dogs = fights

Angus
August 2nd, 2004, 10:23 AM
hey guys
Im sure this has been discussed numerous times... but Im new here so please bear with me ;)
We have 2 puppies, 5 months old..... Gus and Oliver. Same breeds "dalmation / collie mixes" though weve heard many dispute this as their actual breed... who are we to know?
Anyway, Weve had Gus from 10 weeks old, but just brought Oliver home last week.
Gus has Always been a mild tempered sweet playful dog, now he's a bit aggressive. They have had a couple really awful Fights, these happen around food and when one of us gets home from work, for first attention I guess....
We3ve been searching online and asking people we know- who tell us "theyll get over it" but Id really like to teach them this is not acceptable with any dog and that there is no reason for jealousy (if thats the case)...
I really want to be able to trust them and not be nervous when I first arrive home for fer of a fight.
Any suggestions?
So far we break it up, as soon as possible and separate them from eachother and us to cool down..... ???? what do you guys think?

goldenblaze
August 2nd, 2004, 10:40 AM
I understand how it can really get to you, the worry but give it a couple of weeks or even a month. You bring a new dog in to the home and the first dogs feels that he must defend his space, food and attention. I brought home a new puppy in April and my 4 yr old was not happy with me. Time will help be sure to give both dogs attention and show no more attention for one than the other. You should not make the older dog feel like he is doing something wrong this is his home and will adjust fine with time.

goldenblaze
August 2nd, 2004, 10:41 AM
I understand how it can really get to you, the worry but give it a couple of weeks or even a month. You bring a new dog in to the home and the first dogs feels that he must defend his space, food and attention. I brought home a new puppy in April and my 4 yr old was not happy with me. Time will help be sure to give both dogs attention and show no more attention for one than the other. You should not make the older dog feel like he is doing something wrong this is his home and will adjust fine with time.

Lucky Rescue
August 2nd, 2004, 10:47 AM
Serious fighting with 5 month old puppies is not a good sign! It's best not to bring a new puppy into the house until the other is around 1 year old, and trained.

Do you feed them together? Give them treats at the same time? Maybe pay a bit more attention to the new puppy? IF you do any of these things, you are putting them in the position of having to compete, and that will cause fighting.

Do they play together at any time? Other than playtime, I would suggest keeping them separated most of the time. It's advisble when you have two puppies like this to train,walk and give attention separately anyway - otherwise it's hard to get them to pay attention to you.

IF both are alpha types (and they are both male) the fighting may escalate as they mature. If you want to keep both of them, you may end up having to keep them apart most of the time. That is the worst case scenario and although we hope for the best, we must prepare for the worst. This is why I would not count on them "getting over it."

Get them into obedience school and get them trained, if you want to keep both. Strict obedience training may be somewhat helpful in controlling the fighting. You wont' want to be pulling two large adult males apart when they fight, or you will be injured.

If you don't want to deal with all this, it might be better to rehome the new puppy now, while he is still small and cute. It won't be so easy when he's 2 years old.

JMO

Do you have a pic of these dogs?

Angus
August 2nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
http://www.superexcitingfunland.com/pics/pet%20pics//oliver%20and%20gus%20003.jpg
eek! We really have committed to keeping them both... hopefully we wont have to relocate, but thanks for all the advice.
the puppies have a lot of great play times together, they share toys and raw hides and hang out on the same couch.. you'll see in the pic (if it works :rolleyes: )

we have started to feed one outside, one inside, train at different times and locations... Gus has been through puppy school and graduated at the top of his class :D Oliver will begin in a month or so.. and gus will continue on at the next level around the same time.

Were hoping that because they are so young that perhaps with consistent expectations, training and time they will forget they were ever apart... wishful thinking maybe???

Lucky Rescue
August 2nd, 2004, 11:28 AM
They are beautiful! They look like twins. :eek:

Well, you certainly sound committed to making this work. MANY people are not, so good for you.:)

If you continue the way you are going, it could work out. Just one word of advice - no rawhides! These are very high value items to dogs, and can cause fights between even dogs who do not normally fight. Rawhide isn't a good thing to give anyway - it can cause blockages if large pieces are bitten off and swallowed.

Very nice to see a dedicated pet owner.:)

Angus
August 2nd, 2004, 11:47 AM
REALLY!!! Thanks for the info on raw hides! I had no idea.
and the encoragment, I hope it works out, but this first week has definatley been a bit of a stress on us all. If you guys have any personal stories or ideas please share. Were up for any advice.