Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

embarrassed to ask..but I got too

COCO350
February 3rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Ok, well, I was always a dog person until we moved to the farm and these cats just appeared from nowhere, my daughter ad I were actually afraid of cats...anyway...I fell in love with them all so I brought 2 female cat in the house, how do I know their females?? my horse vet told me...5 are left in the barn and it's driving me crazy when It comes to closing for the night, they all look at me with those eyes probably asking why not take us in with you??? (DH thinks that I tend to humanize what they think, actually he thinks I'm nuts) so, to get to the embarrassing question, out of the 5, I know for sure that Molly, Sophie and mimi are females, the other 2...arghh I dont know, and dont know how or what I'm looking at...this week both of them were in heat, so I asked myself, do male have heat?? I want to bring them in the house but need to have them fixed!

Before anyone questions if I plan to have them neuter/spay, OF COURSE, St-hyacinthe vet hospital has contacted me, (actually left a message, thank god cause they were asking me how many females/males I had):o

So there you go..anybody want to help??

Corinne

babymomma
February 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Im in NO way an expert. But are these cats friendly? So you can pick them up and kinda have a look see?

When I had my mice (:rip:) I could tel what gender they were by looking at their privates (Which look the smae on both male and female)
If their privats were close to their bum. It was a female. If far away, it was a male. I know on cats it would ppbably be harder to find it. Maybe its the same between cats and mice?:shrug: lol.. JUst throwing that out there. Im sure if you could pick them up and kinda have a look around you could find the genital area.

GOOD LUCK! lol

lUvMyLaB<3
February 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
you can tell because... k here goes.. Males will have a pooper... and a pee-er.. and two rather round participles... furry ones.. females have a pooper spot, and right under.. the other spot.. only 2 "spots" rather close together... hope that helps..... good luck!

babymomma
February 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Im sure the vet would still do the surgeries. Even if you were worng

My aunt brought her cat in to be spayed, and she came out with him nuetered. lol.. The vet will know.

hazelrunpack
February 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Males will have a pooper... and a pee-er.. and two rather round participles... furry ones..

So these would be the....wait for it!....

....the dangling participles?! :o

:laughing:

:laugh:

*wheeze wheeze gasp giggle*

:o Okay...I'm better now... I just couldn't resist. That was, for those of you who don't speak English or didn't pay attention during grammar class (:p) an English Teacher joke... A 'dangling participle' is a grammatical faux pas :o It's not my fault that hazel's dad is an English Teacher and madame hazel has a really weird sense of humor...so no PMs please :p

COCO350
February 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
ohhhh...that's how you say it...been wondering, me being french and all:laughing:

I knew I would get some laughs, but hey..I know dogs, horses (now that's easy) humans...cats it was a bit of a problem, the 2 ( think male) are semi-friendly, we approach them and pet them, but picking them up is not easy, I managed to lift the tail, but saw only the pooper!:laughing:

So tonite I entered the barn thinking, I'm going to settle this, explained to DH what babymomma had written, if the **** is closer to the *** its female, blablabla...(gave me that look, you know THE LOOK)asked him to pick up tuxedo and Sam...and alleluia...you gotta admit it isn't easy to see.

At least now I'll be able to answer...yeah hey I've got 3 females and 2 males pffff easy!:cool:

Thanks!

babymomma
February 3rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
lol.. Im sure we've all gotten the look. lol.. Woo, You firgured it out!

Congrats!!!! :D

hazelrunpack
February 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Good work, COCO!! Now you just gotta fix those dangling participles :laughing:

Stacer
February 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM
In my experience, the male bits were always VERY obvious. Fuzzy marbles.

chico2
February 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
CoCo,if the dangling fuzzy things are not clearly visible,the boys are more than likely already neutered:fingerscrthat they are,then no babies:fingerscr Hubby and I had a good laugh,thank's:thumbs up

ancientgirl
February 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah, you'll know when you have a male. :laughing: Both my boys are neutered, but since Maks is orange I can still see his um, package. Of course it's not as profound as it used to be, but there's no mistaking he's a boy.

cpietra16
February 4th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I noticed thru expereincemost male are bigger ( heads bigger, shoulders bigger, etc..) than females. I will come over one day and talk to your hubby....about humanizing animals and thier feelings and why thats the right thing to do....:D;)

bendyfoot
February 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM

:o Okay...I'm better now... I just couldn't resist. That was, for those of you who don't speak English or didn't pay attention during grammar class (:p) an English Teacher joke... A 'dangling participle' is a grammatical faux pas :o It's not my fault that hazel's dad is an English Teacher and madame hazel has a really weird sense of humor...so no PMs please :p

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing::laughing:

that was truly awesome, HRP...

COCO350
February 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM
These two little fellows our not even 1 years old, the black cat is big, but the tabby is small, so hard to say, but hubby noticed the dangling participles...he says...hum I wonder if he said that to put an end to my explaining:confused:

Cpietra, be my guest and have fun explaining this to hubby, we have been debating over this for 10 years.

Ok, can we cancel this thread now before it gets too embarrasing!!:laughing::laughing:

Corinne

14+kitties
February 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Going to add to your embarassment. Just be aware it is possible that the boys parts can be hidden as well. As in, they haven't dropped yet. I had that with one of mine. Thought he was a girl. Poor baby.
Just trying to tell you you may have to do more indepth exploration. :)

I will come over one day and talk to your hubby....about humanizing animals and thier feelings and why thats the right thing to do....:D;)

Further to that statement..... show hubby this article. Maybe it will help convince him. :shrug:

Oh, Bessie! Name your cow, get more milk
Updated Thu. Jan. 29 2009 7:03 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Researchers have a message for farmers: If you want your cows to produce more milk, give them names.

Cows that have names produce more milk, as much as 500 pints more per year, than cows that do not, British scientists have learned.

The study, conducted by a team from Newcastle University in northern England, also found that overall, farms where cows were each called by name produced more milk than farms that herded their cattle as a group.

According to researchers Catherine Douglas and Peter Rowlinson, the findings support what farmers have long believed.

"Just as people respond better to the personal touch, cows also feel happier and more relaxed if they are given a bit more one-to-one attention," Douglas said in a statement.

"By placing more importance on the individual, such as calling a cow by her name or interacting with the animal more as it grows up, we can not only improve the animal's welfare and her perception of humans, but also increase milk production."

The findings are published in the journal Anthrozoos.

For their study, Douglas and Rowlinson asked more than 500 British dairy farmers for their opinions on how humans might influence the productivity, behaviour and welfare of dairy cattle.

Nearly half indicated that they call each cow on their farm by name. These farmers' cows produced 258 litres more milk.

The researchers also found that 48 per cent of farmers agreed that positive human contact might influence a cow's milk production.

According to dairy farmer Dennis Gibb, co-owner of Eachwick Red House farm outside Newcastle, treating each cow as an individual is "vitally important."

"They aren't just our livelihood - they're part of the family," Gibb said in a statement. "We love our cows here at Eachwick and every one of them has a name. Collectively we refer to them as 'our ladies' but we know every one of them and each one has her own personality."

ancientgirl
February 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
14+, that's a great article.

I totally believe our pets know what is going on around them. Humanizing them? How about Felinizing them :D

My cats all love attention, and they each one shows me when they want their own attention. If I give a treat to one, the others are all looking at me like "Where's my treat mom?"

I give each one the same amount of treats at treat time. I go one by one. But let me tell you, the last one to get their treat gets nasty looks by the others because they think they are special because they got the last one. Whenever I'm petting one, Maks comes from from clear across the room and gets in the middle. Oksana jumps up in the morning on my bed and starts pawing at me because she wants to be petted.

So tell hubby to watch his back. :laughing: Those barn kitties want in!

TacoGrl
February 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Ok, so Seth is neutered, but I don't see anything left of his "package"??? Is it maybe the way they are neutered or is it possible Seth is a little girl? He is much bigger feature-wise than Messina, but still...

I never really thought about this before, so don't be embarassed...either they have danglies or they don't...until they are fixed that is....and now we find out they drop like people...oh, it's all so confusing! :eek:

COCO350
February 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thought I would post pics of the barn cats, 3 females and 2 males (we think)

Mimi

Sophie

Molly

COCO350
February 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Finally the two boys...

Sam and Tuxedo

ancientgirl
February 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
They are all gorgeous! 5 huh? Hey, 5 is certainly doable inside a home. hint hint.:D

14+kitties
February 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM
They are adorable!! :cloud9: So nice you are thinking about bringing them in! :thumbs up
TacoGrl - If Seth was done fairly early then his package may have pretty much disappeared. Also, some kitties aren't quite as (cough, cough) well endowed as others. I have a couple here that have almost disappeared as well since being fixed. They weren't that big to start with.

COCO350
February 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Actually 7, I've got two inside already, but hey, with all I've seen and read on this forum 2 is probably nothing right!

As for the hint...hubby is keeping his distance from cause he knows I'm up to something...he knows I Know, he just can't say no!:laughing:

ancientgirl
February 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
LOL, I can tell you I'd probably have a couple more if I was living in a house and not in a condo.:D

14+, I had Maks done at about 5 or 6 months, and I can still see a couple of little bumps.:laughing:

rainbow
February 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
They are all so purrty :lovestruck: and what a lovely variety of colours. :cloud9:

As for the hint...hubby is keeping his distance from cause he knows I'm up to something...he knows I Know, he just can't say no!:laughing:

LOL.....you got a toasted marshmallow too. :thumbs up You gotta love how they are all crusty on the outside but big softies inside. :D

hazelrunpack
February 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM
The kitties are gorgeous, COCO! :cloud9:

14+kitties
February 4th, 2009, 11:06 PM
AG - most of my boys were done at 6 to 7 months. A lot of them still have "bumps" too. But there are a few who have almost nothing left.

growler~GateKeeper
February 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM

:laughing: good one Hazel :highfive: :laughing:

Ok, so Seth is neutered, but I don't see anything left of his "package"??? Is it maybe the way they are neutered or is it possible Seth is a little girl? He is much bigger feature-wise than Messina, but still...

Likely he was done early, didn't have a large package to begin with or it has disappeared.

Same with neutered male dogs some you can see a bit of extra skin left others not so much.

Molly

You sure about Molly being female? 99.9% of the time an orange tabby is male. :cat:

chico2
February 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM
OMG,they are all such beautiful cats,did you order the nice variety:laughing:
We woke up to -20C :yell:this morning,but I am sure your kitties can find some warm spots in the barn,however it would be nice if they could be inside;)
Have any of those beautiful little girls been preggers???
If not,that's strange,if the boys are in tact:confused:

7CatsRUs
February 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
You sure about Molly being female? 99.9% of the time an orange tabby is male. :cat:

I'd have to second that question. We have several orange tabby ferals around, and all are boys. Plus we have one orange tabby inside, and he is also a male. And all my friends who have orange tabbys...all of theirs are male as well.

ancientgirl
February 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I'll third that. I just noticed orange kitty's name. I've read on several sights and in a couple of books that orange tabbies are usually male, as torties are usually always female.

COCO350
February 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Not only am I embarrased, now i'm confused:frustrated: now I have to take in consideration color????

Chico2: The cats have a special place in the barn, and we have heating which is rare for barns to have since the horses provide heat too. They also have access to the attic where we have 500 bail of hay. But I still do want to bring them in.

Three of the cats were tiny kittens when we found them, except for the orange one and the grey one (mimi) who were pregnant at the time they were found.:sad:

COCO350
February 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
The barn...some of the horses enjoy the cats and let them enter their stall, you can even find them sleeping in their food bowl.

14+kitties
February 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
COCO350 - It is possible to have an orange female cat. The probability is small but still possible. Maybe this site will help.

http://www.askipedia.com/index.php?action=article&cat_id=015001&id=202

There is also this short answer...........

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_nearly_all_Orange_Tabby_cats_male

I was also thinking.. Do you use kitty litter boxes in the barn or do the kitties just use whatever? If you don't have them in the barn and are thinking about bringing the kitties in you may want to start using them. This would give the kitties a chance to get used to the boxes and when you do move them in there is less chance of them using other things. Just a thought.

I noticed you said the orange and the grey one were pregnant when found? Is that a grammatical slip saying both were pregnant or were they both? If that is the case quite obviously Molly is a female. :shrug:

COCO350
February 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
At first we had provided them with litter boxes, they still use them, but some go in the indoor manège, I dont know if this is the correct term, the place to ride your horses indoor.

As for Molly (the orange cat) she was pregnant when we found her along with mimi, probably the reason they were abandonned here at the farm.

Thanks for the infos and links 14+

ancientgirl
February 5th, 2009, 11:11 AM
At first we had provided them with litter boxes, they still use them, but some go in the indoor manège, I dont know if this is the correct term, the place to ride your horses indoor.

As for Molly (the orange cat) she was pregnant when we found her along with mimi, probably the reason they were abandonned here at the farm.

Thanks for the infos and links 14+

Well that's that, orange kitty is a girl.:D Where you able to find homes for all the kittens? I hope so.

This is cute. I think I saw, not long ago, a site dedicated to cats and their horses.

14+kitties
February 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
If Molly was pregnant I guess there is no doubt she is a girl then. :thumbs up
I am assuming the riding arena has a dirt floor they are using. It's the same thing basically as litter boxes. How about putting the litterboxes close to the arena so they get the idea they should be using them?

ancientgirl
February 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
What I have found after bringing Czari in from the outdoors, she doesn't cover her poop. Which is odd, because Miguel, who had watched her outside tells me she used to bury her poop outside. :shrug:

Do you know if yours bury theirs? When my others were kittens, the few times they did not bury their poop, I'd go and take their paws and show them how. I assumed their mother would have shown them. I can't do that with Czari, so I have to rely on one of the others coming up behind her and burying it, or I have to immediately take it out.

COCO350
February 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
14+ great idea!

Any advice on how to introduce them to the indoor cats and dog...should I bring them in one at the time? It worries me a bit.

14+kitties
February 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
It's important when you are doing introductions to take it slow and easy. I would bring them all in at one time. If you have a room where they can be separated from the others for a time that is the best way to go.

I could go into all kinds of info here but I think it's a better idea just to give you this site......

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

This lady has covered everything you need to know about introducing cats. I found the site after I had already introduced my gang to each other but have used it since. It is wonderful!

Mmmm, seems like the site I love so much has been moved. I can't find it any more. So....... I have a couple of other ones for you to check out.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/reducing-multicat-household-stress/page1.aspx

http://www.myhealthycat.com/multi-cat.html

When you get closer to the time to move them in then I am sure you will get lots of advise here. Just ask. :thumbs up!

lUvMyLaB<3
February 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM
usually red ( its actually called red) tabbies are male, but can be female. must less common is a tortie or claico male, for a male to have three colours they have to have an extra X cromasome, an x x and y so they are usually sterile, supposed to be like 1 in a thousand is male. I have a red tabby female! she is the mother foster, but no longer a foster she is now mine.. :)

growler~GateKeeper
February 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM
COCO350 - It is possible to have an orange female cat. The probability is small but still possible.

As for Molly (the orange cat) she was pregnant when we found her

Okay obviously she's a she then :laughing:
If an orange (yes - technically called red :D) tabby has a significant amount of white on them it is also gives a higher possiblity for them to be female.

It does happen just extremely rarely, as LML says same with Calicos and Torties 99.9% of Calicos and Torties are female if not the male is almost always sterile.

What I have found after bringing Czari in from the outdoors, she doesn't cover her poop. Which is odd, because Miguel, who had watched her outside tells me she used to bury her poop outside. :shrug:

AG Czari would be covering outside because she was hiding the evidence from predators(human)/prey or other cats that she was there, inside she doesn't need to & is claiming her territory :D

Dogs usually don't cover their poop cuz it acts as a territory marker, some cats usually males or dominate territorial cats will also not cover, but most cats do cover outside.

ancientgirl
February 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
AG Czari would be covering outside because she was hiding the evidence from predators(human)/prey or other cats that she was there, inside she doesn't need to & is claiming her territory :D

Well I wish she'd realize it's not working. :laughing::yuck: Because the others use that box too.:rolleyes:

COCO350
February 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Do you know if yours bury theirs? When my others were kittens, the few times they did not bury their poop, I'd go and take their paws and show them how. I assumed their mother would have shown them. I can't do that with Czari, so I have to rely on one of the others coming up behind her and burying it, or I have to immediately take it out.

As a matter of fact, they all bury their poop in the sand, some still go in the litter box, it will make things easier for me once they're in the house.

ancientgirl
February 6th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Your lucky then! Just this morning I didn't have time to empty out her present, so I had to cover Czari's poop myself with the rake. :rolleyes:

COCO350
February 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Happy to say that my 5 barn cats made it on the St-Hyacinthe Vet hospital program:thumbs up

I'm so thrilled, and the cost is unbelievable, $45 for female, $30 for male, this includes, vaccination, deworming, and revolution treatment...taxes included, they come to your place, examine the kitties then vaccinates them, and come back to pick them up. If one of the females is pregnant, they will come back after she's given birth and do the same for her and the kittens...They keep you on the list for until the situation is controlled!! Now isn't that great!! I'm so excited...The kittens are schedule for March break!!!

Just had to share this!

Corinne

ancientgirl
February 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
That's great! So they have you scheduled to do all of your kitties in March? Hopefully none of the girls will be preggers.:fingerscr