Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

shall i kill a cat?

Jim Hall
February 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
SO one of the strays that hang around is obviously sick skinny bad coat coughing. now what do i do bring her/him in to puand and have her put down> or leave her out there i am feeding her and she is starving.

Love4himies
February 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
I would try to bring her in. Is there any way you can get her assessed by a vet, then make the decision? A fast death is much better than a slow one in my books.

BenMax
February 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Jim Hall - is there no rescue groups around you? If not, I would not let this little one suffer if you cannot find someone to foster back to health.

Hard situation but if no one can help, you cannot ignor the desperation. Just my opinion.

badger
February 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Oh yeah, bring her in - keeping her separate from any other cats, in case she's contagious - and take her to the vet. Maybe it's something that can be fixed, who knows? Poor thing, what a life.

Jim Hall
February 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
i wish i could bring her in but DU wjould go nuts and get too stessed the only pplace would be the bathroom all the rescues are full and wat kittens anyway

no $$$ for vet d*** it i am leaning towards putting her down and i hate to do that wel im gonna fedd her as much as a can and see whats happens for a few days

Chris21711
February 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
i wish i could bring her in but DU wjould go nuts and get too stessed the only pplace would be the bathroom all the rescues are full and wat kittens anyway

no $$$ for vet d*** it i am leaning towards putting her down and i hate to do that wel im gonna fedd her as much as a can and see whats happens for a few days

Can't you take her to the SPCA Jim and see if they can help her out?

Melinda
February 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
at our spca if you take in an ill cat they will have a vet assist you, I did this a few years ago and they called to tell me the cat has distemper and it would be up to the vet at how far gone it was.

Jim Hall
February 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
been trying the aspca all i get is a busy signal e mailed them ;last week no reply

Chris21711
February 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
been trying the aspca all i get is a busy signal e mailed them ;last week no reply

Can't you just take her there without calling ahead Jim. Here in Ontario, one can just go with an animal in distress and they cannot refuse you. After all they are the SPCA.

Jim Hall
February 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
it seems the nearset spca is about 60 miles away and no car

COCO350
February 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the vet will charge you at least 50$ to have him/her put down, how much would examination and medication cost???

Longblades
February 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Not a nice decision to make but one that was forced on us a few years ago. The stray we live trapped appeared healthy and was only skinny when we took him in to be neutered, vaccinated and examined with an eye to making him our pet. He was beautiful and very friendly. He had FIP and went downhill so quickly, so dramatically that we had him euthanized a week a later. I'm am at peace with what we did. I could not bare the thought of that lovely creature facing a slow agonizing death in winter. My OH does not agree and feels terrible about it.

Your stray might just have a bad respiratory ailment. She might recover. You'll never know if you don't catch her. I would do it. It might be expensive to treat her.

BenMax
February 2nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
It's interesting how animals will gravitate to us animal lovers. It is sometimes a difficult decision but I think that it is only right to ensure her safety and security. If she appears sick Jim Hall then she is suffering without medical intervention. Please don't let her suffer like this. Somehow get to the SPCA. Is there not anyone that can drive you? How about just calling a vet and telling them that you need help for this cat which is clearly not yours...will they turn you away?

cpietra16
February 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
just a little note...you are not really killing...you are helping this poor baby out of this misery..Killing is a word I like to give to people who euthanize out of pure pleasure or stupidity or ignorance

Jim Hall
February 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
tey will want $$$ but i am going to try to see if i can scrape up some

7CatsRUs
February 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Have you tried calling a national SPCA number. Or for that matter, the number of an SPCA not in your area and asking them how the heck you could get in contact with the one closest to you? I would think if you could get them involved, they would find a way to get the cat from you, since they obviously would have jurisdiction of your area. They might also be able to recommend a vet that would give you discounted or free services given your situation. You can also check to see if they have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your area, as these vets would likely be willing to help out in this situation. I know where I live, they have a low-cost clinic specifically for persons of a certain income level The humane society also has vets on staff and calling them might be a way to find out if you could get some care for this poor kitty. I would also recommend checking out the Alley Cat Allies web site as they have lots of resources for those who take care of feral cats. Having several feral cats we care for ourselves (on top of all our indoor kitties) I have found their information quite helpful.

badger
February 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Oh my bathroom has seen so many cats I cannot count them, sometimes for as long as three months! You could observe the cat more closely if he was inside and maybe get in touch with some rescue groups. Have you checked for those on petfinder?
For the record, with taxes, my vet charges over 100$ to euthanize a cat.

http://members.petfinder.org/~NJ363/Kitty_index.html

Longblades
February 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
What about the Animal Control people in your municipality? Where I live they have a contract with the SPCA, which is in a different municipality. If I could catch a stray, my local municipality would send their Animal Control/Bylaw person to my house to deliver the critter to the SPCA. If that would work for you the problem I see is that you might lose control of what happens to the animal.

BenMax
February 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Oh my bathroom has seen so many cats I cannot count them, sometimes for as long as three months! You could observe the cat more closely if he was inside and maybe get in touch with some rescue groups. Have you checked for those on petfinder?
For the record, with taxes, my vet charges over 100$ to euthanize a cat.

http://members.petfinder.org/~NJ363/Kitty_index.html

OMG Badger who is your vet?? That is nuts.

I agree with Badger. Try to get this cat to a rescue if possible. To entice them a little - tell them you will make a small donation to help offset some medical expenses.

krdahmer
February 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Mine charges about the same, and the one I had to take my rabbit to when I was 15 charged that much way back then.

So sorry you have another cat to deal with, I'm sending you :pray: for finding a solution and the kitty :pray: that it can be helped and if not that it's suffering will end peacefully. :goodvibes:

14+kitties
February 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
What about your vet? Lisa? Is that her name? Maybe she would be willing to help you out? :shrug: I would think try to get the cat to a vet to find out what is wrong. Then if you have to make that decision then you can. It could be something treatable. :fingerscr

I also wouldn't look at it as killing. I would look at it as sending kitty to a place where s/he is free of pain..........

Jim Hall
February 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
lisa works for a real cheapo and insists on charging full price even for starys and his own employyess

i am going to try some other vets in the area and keep trying the aspca the neuter clinic wont be open for anothe few weeks

thanks for all the great advice sorry to psot such a downer thread

lUvMyLaB<3
February 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
poor kitty, that is so sad, In your situation I would do anything to help her also.. Are we sure this kitty does not have a home? It could be someone's pet that has gotten out and had poor immunity and got an upper resparitory infection? I would be careful about brining her in, I am sure all of your cats probably have their shots, it is likely this cat has fip, or something but also could be very contagious.

I would get her to the spca or a vet. First to see if she belongs to someone that is willing to pay for her treatment, or then to make sure she is with people that can give her the care she needs, if you are not able to provide that. Don't just take her in as your pet and get her put down without a chance, in the mean time yes you should feed her, good luck, hoping for the best for the poor kitty, she didn't deserve this! Stunning to think how long she has been sick and how many people have turned a blind eye. Here's hoping that all she needs is some sub-q fluids and antibiotics!

TacoGrl
February 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Are there any large animal vets in your area? Perhaps one of them is making a house call by where you live and can pop by?

Animal Control will most likely just kill on the spot...the manager of the one here actually told me in an e-mail their mandate isn't to "save" animals, but rather to enfoce the by-laws. :rolleyes:

A vet is probably the best bet, or find a friend to drive you to the SPCA...

want4rain
February 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
-hugs hugs hugs- boy you sure have a way with words Jim! i dont envy you at all. :( we were really lucky with Frances. she turned out to be quite healthy.

-ash

want4rain
February 2nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
It's interesting how animals will gravitate to us animal lovers.

they dont gravitate to us, we just have eyes that see them. :sad: too few eyes if you ask me.

-ash

badger
February 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
they dont gravitate to us, we just have eyes that see them. too few eyes if you ask me.

So true. But when Ollie went walkabout :sad:, since he was black quite a few people thought they'd seen him. I met several who were quietly helping strays, feeding them regularly and providing some kind of shelter. I'm sure a few cats end up being taken inside. Despite the loss of Ollie, it was a positive experience, if that makes sense.

BenMax
February 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
they dont gravitate to us, we just have eyes that see them. :sad: too few eyes if you ask me.

-ash

Interesting. True though. However I can't help think of the stray dog or cat that appears before my door. I certainly didn't have the eyes to see that. Anyways, no matter how you look at it whether it is us or them or maybe a combination of both - it's good to know that there are many of us that are pro-active.

So Jim Hall....any updates?

Jim Hall
February 3rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
nothing no update aspca was no help said bring him to the pound. oh Im sorry "the animal control" officer
all the vets say sure we see him for a price
all the rescues say bring him to the pound
lovely well he eating and looking a lottle better
ill book an appointment with the spay and nueter when i get a call back for the kittens

BenMax
February 3rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Nice...

You would think that someone would help as this is desperate. The easy solution for them of course is to just PTS.

Jim - you are a good person.:angel:

Jim Hall
February 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
i talked to the ac director just now he will hold her/him for a week if i bring her in and he says the rescue group might take her if they dint after a week she gets the big sleep
sigh i have no $$ to put up the only money i have not for bills and food is the money i have put away for du and manda

i posted a found cat ad on p finder and left the info on the kitty with the ACO THogh he says he gets very few calls .

Love4himies
February 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
At least there is a chance for this kitty. :pray:

kiara
February 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately a lot of cats that were dumped often become sick. Some of them can be saved but some can't. You would really be taking it out of it's misery and not killing it. By not eating good quality food and not having regular preventive vaccinations, their health suffers. Because of living outside in the elements they get involved in fights and transfer all kinds of diseases through direct contact and biting. Please take this cat to a vet and maybe you could ask for a lower price, because it is a stray.

Bina
February 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
We've always used the bathroom for quarantine situations.....kittens, baby squirrels, wild birds, etc.
It's nice to have a clean area with running water to care for them.
best wishes with the little guy.

7CatsRUs
February 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah, the bathroom has always been where we've kept strays as well.

Jim Hall
February 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
i wish i could kiaara but all the vets say they "work for rescues" and dont give any other breaks

as far as bringing her in i have 2 cats now and one would make herself sick from stress if i did that