Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fariba

Karin
February 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM
Prayers, good vibes..anything you can muster is needed.

Fariba is the 16 year old daughter of my bosses wife. (previous marriage)
She was abducted 11 years ago by the father and was thought to be in California until January 21st, when she called our local police dept. She has been in almost constant contact with her mother since then, but she is not in California ...she is in Iran.
Fariba has been moved to a "safe house" so they think she will be safe until the mess of paperwork can be sorted and a passport issued to come home to her mom.
For the past week it's been pins & needles, her father will kill her if found and this is allowed in this country.
Of course there is red tape on this side too with a new staff but they are working on it ever so slowly.
I wanted to post when this happened but Fariba needed to be safe first. Iran does have a department of children services.

It has been almost 2 weeks and that girl need to get out, across any border. Her passport is in process.
Please muster what you can for Fariba, she hasn't known freedom since she was 6 years old, or her own mother.
Abuse charges have been filed against her father in Iran too. Which helps to protect her from being turned over to him. Women have no rights in Iran.

growler~GateKeeper
February 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Wow! Many :goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray: that she comes home to her mum very soon :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
February 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
She's in my thoughts and prayers. Here's hoping they can get her papers sorted out quickly and back home to her mom.:pray:

onster
February 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Thats horrible!

I'm praying hard for her. Hope everything works out.

Love4himies
February 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
:pray::goodvibes::fingerscr I can't believe this still goes on in this day and age. :sad: :mad:

BenMax
February 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
I can't even imagine. Good vibes that she comes home quickly and safely.:grouphug::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

ancientgirl
February 2nd, 2009, 07:52 PM
I hope they can get her out soon. Please keep us updated.

My thoughts and prayers are with her.

Karin
February 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I am passing on all your good wishes everyday.

No new news, still waiting. The State Department said it could take 6 to 8 weeks. Fariba may be in a "safe house" but what exactly is safe in Iran? The Swiss are our only contact with their government.
There are an estimated 10,000 abducted children in Iran, from all over! Women have no rights especially Americans.
Just a little side note. Sophia, Fariba's mom, has volunteered for a missing kids foundation since the abduction. (She speaks Spanish fluently) Back in December she flew to Mexico and helped to recover "Dylan" who was abducted from Tennessee two years ago. Dylan is happy and healthy back with his mom now.
Sophia and Fariba deserve their due time together, I cannot wait! This teenager does not know what freedom is.....I hear mom talk of shopping trips and such. I have a front row seat , watching a young girl transformed.
When it happens though, she is still in danger.

Most here don't remember me but my son was also abducted, I got him back 11 & 1/2 years later. He is 30 now and still , the joy of my life.
Thank you again!
Keep the prayers going, Fariba is coming home and I will let you all know as soon as I do!

growler~GateKeeper
February 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I wasn't here when you joined & never heard about your situtation or your son, but I can understand why this is very hard for you. I'm very glad you got him back :grouphug: & :fingerscr Sophia will have her child back very soon :goodvibes:

Magicwildwolf69
February 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
:pray::grouphug::goodvibes: for a safe return home. i could never imagine losing a child i don't have one yet but my little brother was born when i was 10 and as i got older i couldn't imagine going through if anything happened to him. hope things work out soon and she comes home safely!

chico2
February 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Karin,lots of :goodvibes::pray::fingerscrfor Fariba to finally get home to her mom:pray:
I know this happens a lot,more than anyone of us know..I was not aware of your sons abduction,11&1/2yrs is a long time,but I am happy he's back where he belongs:thumbs up

Karin
February 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Yesterday, Fariba was returned to her father. He is being investigated for abuse and they will remove her if it is founded. He was also ordered to have her in school today, which she did not show up. Sophia was informed by Iran's version of "children services" and the law are keeping a close eye on him.
And if he tries to run and hide her, Homeland Security is watching all borders too. He usually comes and goes through Turkey.
When she reaches 18 years of age, she can make her own choices. I know she will make her father's life a living hell.
So, everything is still being worked on on this end with the twist of this scarier turn of events.
This could take 19 more months. (until she turns 18)
Are you all up to prayer's and positive vibes for that long? Please give me a YES!
Also, the father has sued two couples that have harbored her the last 2 weeks, and they have countered sued for quick hearings, one happens to be a Iranian judge. So things may play out on Fariba & Sophia's side sooner then later.
One thing is for sure, hope is not lost yet! There is many contacts still in place, just not with Fariba anymore. My heart goes out to that poor girl.
Thank You all, I am still passing on your thoughts and prayers to the family.

growler~GateKeeper
February 4th, 2009, 10:18 PM
That must be terrifying for her :sad:

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
February 4th, 2009, 10:18 PM
This sucks! Sending as many :pray:ers, :goodvibes:, and :fingerscr as you need.

Karin
February 4th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Karin,lots of :goodvibes::pray::fingerscrfor Fariba to finally get home to her mom:pray:
I know this happens a lot,more than anyone of us know..I was not aware of your sons abduction,11&1/2yrs is a long time,but I am happy he's back where he belongs:thumbs up

I got my son back at the age of 14 & 1/2 in 1992. He is now 30 and probably moving back in with me in the next few weeks.
He gave me that surprise visit on Thanksgiving but lost his job when he got back to Texas.
He is currently in Tennessee scoping out jobs. I am off tomorrow and I'm planning on getting his room ready!
Losing 11 & 1/2 years of him growing up was tough, but thank God for hormones! Most abducted children are found during adolescence because they are not dumb and the hormones make the rebel and question.
Happened to me too, my father flew my brother and I to Germany to hide us from my mother in 1968.
When I first met Sophia 3 years ago and heard about Fariba, I told her this would happen..and it did. Just a tougher situation with her being in Iran.
Gotta love them hormones while you have them.
A teenager's RAGING hormones are something to reckon with too!

growler~GateKeeper
February 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
That's incredible & horrible that it happened to you, then your child :grouphug:

Karin
February 4th, 2009, 11:05 PM
That's incredible & horrible that it happened to you, then your child :grouphug:

Thanks Growler, I think I take notice and get more involved with these situations because it did happen to me too. And so on , like Sophia too, she jumps in and helps with all child find organizations around the world.
And I have to add John Walsh, who is the best of the best! Without him, ...Hmmm, without John Walsh and the loss of Adam, I cannot even fathom where we would be right now without these agency's that forged ahead because of John.
There were no child searching engines in place before. Now, we have many.
We all take our freedom for granted don't we?
Smooches all!

(I'm gonna try the icon thingy)

ancientgirl
February 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM
What a terrible situation. Hopefully this judge can get things moving. I know 18 is the usual age of consent, but kids aren't dumb. I think Fariba should have a say now as to what she wants for her life and if it means leaving her father, she should be allowed to and not be afraid of being returned to an abusive situation.

I think John Walsh is an amazing person. You have to really admire someone who takes a tragedy like he went through and tries to make things better so others don't go through the same sadness.

chico2
February 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Karin,I am not sure Fariba can make her"fathers"life hell,even at 18yrs old,not without serious repercussions to her,especially in place like Iran:yell:
At 18 she'll be a woman and with almost zero rights.
I know Iran is somewhat more civilized than other Arabic nations but not on women rights as I am sure you and Sophie know.
Still I:pray:Fariba will get the chance to get home to her mom:fingerscr

Karin
February 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Karin,I am not sure Fariba can make her"fathers"life hell,even at 18yrs old,not without serious repercussions to her,especially in place like Iran:yell:
At 18 she'll be a woman and with almost zero rights.
I know Iran is somewhat more civilized than other Arabic nations but not on women rights as I am sure you and Sophie know.
Still I:pray:Fariba will get the chance to get home to her mom:fingerscr

My boss and I talked about this last night as I was leaving to come home. Fariba has the spitfire attitude of her mother, and hopefully she will not use it to it's full extent as this may cause more trouble then help. This would be the downfall of the raging hormones. It is out of everyone's hands right now.
Yes, even as a women she has zero rights, and even being a born US citizen she is considered an Iranian citizen there. I was shocked to hear they even have a "children's and family services" over in Iran but they do. The officials did tell Sophia when she turns 18 her wishes to come to America will be granted as long as the proper paperwork is in order. This could happen sooner if the father fails to live up to there side of the law.
All that's left now is the passport on this end and trust on theirs, the latter is the scary part. Of course Fariba's well being is still a great fear right now too.

hazelrunpack
February 5th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Who returned Fariba to her father, Karin? Seems like a cavalier thing to do considering that he's under investigation.

:goodvibes: and :pray:s from here for as long as Fariba needs them!

chico2
February 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hazel,don't forget where they are,in Iran,if the father has any kind of social status,his wishes will be heard over a 17yr old girls.
I too am an admirer of John Walsh,who through his own horrible experience,found the strength to help others together with the Abused and Missing Children Net-work.
But I would think,other than going in to Iran and kidnap her,Sophies only option is to wait until the girl turns 18 and see if they will keep their word and let her leave.:pray:

Karin
February 6th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Who returned Fariba to her father, Karin? Seems like a cavalier thing to do considering that he's under investigation.

:goodvibes: and :pray:s from here for as long as Fariba needs them!

The Iranian Children & Family services returned her, under some kind of court order. This is not clear to me.
The same organization that was protecting her was ordered to turn her over too.
Last week when my boss told me about this organization he also said it was founded by Iranian who was educated here, and made it his mission to help children in Iran. My first question and thought was , " There is such a thing as a good Iranian"? And yes, there is. But Iran is still Iran, a country run by terrorists.

There has been no word as of today and again, she was not in school.

This has gone beyond depressing for the family. I am trying not to think of this at this point, it is so out of anyone's control right now...the fear is huge beyond belief.

All I can do is pray, and ask all to do the same. Not knowing, silence, is terrifying.

Karin
February 12th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Prayer's and Positive Vibes DO work! *And raging teenage hormones*

Fariba's father contacted our local police department today. He is under great pressure from his government and of course Fariba, he wants Fariba to come home to her mother and will help in any way. (He also wants his problems of late to "go away")

All that's left is the paperwork. Fariba is coming home and SOON!

He wanted Sophia to fly to Iran right away but he was told that will not happen, she has no rights there so it's a NO. But she may be heading to Iraq very soon. Details are being worked out as I type.
I will keep all here posted as they happen....one more thing,

I can't Thank all of you enough. I know it helped. Please continue until she has Freedom's soil under her feet?

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I hope your next update will be news she's already with her mother and free!

hazelrunpack
February 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM
:goodvibes: for no more delays! Come home, Fariba!

Karin
February 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
If you guy's don't mind I'll be giving updates as I hear em.
I am getting excited all over again just like Mom is, can't help it.
Please keep the prayers coming, I know they help.

hazelrunpack
February 12th, 2009, 09:08 PM
For sure keep the updates coming!! :thumbs up Prayers continue! :D Plus lots of :fingerscrs!

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I sure hope her mother stands fast on not entering the country no matter what the father says :fingerscr

:goodvibes: for a reunion soon

chico2
February 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Karin,that's great news,but until she's on(I was going to say Canadian soil)American soil we'll still keep our :fingerscr that everything works out great.
Why would Sophie go to Iraq???
Isn't Sophie old enough to fly home on her own??

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Any further news today, Karin?

:goodvibes:

Karin
February 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
No further news since yesterday but no one is worried about that right now. Nothing can move forward until all the paperwork is in order and exact.
I do not expect any more contact until Monday now, Iran is 7 hours ahead of our time zone.
The father is working on this on his end too from what I was told.

You guys are the bestest!

Karin
February 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Karin,that's great news,but until she's on(I was going to say Canadian soil)American soil we'll still keep our :fingerscr that everything works out great.
Why would Sophie go to Iraq???
Isn't Sophie old enough to fly home on her own??

Go ahead and say "Canadian soil" Chico! I know all involved would be happy if she was there right now, she would be free there too and even closer to home, and not in Iran.

Fariba is the daughter in Iran, her mother wants and needs to meet up with her as soon as she leaves Iran, it may even be a border meeting due to mom will have all the paperwork. There is no faxing or copies accepted of passport, birth certificate and court documents.

There is no way she is going into Iran, it's far too dangerous, but as soon as she can be reunited with her daughter the better. Iraq is the closest border to where Fariba lives now and the Swiss Embassy is right there too.

And the freakin' paperwork is a bit overwhelming. The State dept. is still involved...I think life itself evolved faster than they move. Everything has to go through Home Land Security with approvals and ya da ...geez, everything is ok now but the documents have to be issued and permission to go.
I hate paperwork...hand me a bic lighter and I can make it go away.

LittleMonster
February 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
This is terrible. No child should have to go through this. :candle:

I don't want to hijack this thread but as someone who has actually visited Iran, I wanted to set some things straight about Iran. You can skip right on over but if you are curious about Iran, read on.

The days of women having zero rights in Iran isn't over, but they are getting there and they are trying. Women don't exactly have it good there, it isn't the west, but there are millions of people over there who are trying to make things better everyday, and its getting there slowly.

Statements like "her father will kill her if found and this is allowed in this country" is a quite ignorant thing to say. Believe it or not there are laws over there and murder will get you the capital punishment (so will drug trafficking, rape, etc). You can't get away with things just because you are a male. There is no "code" in their law or religion that allows her father to kill her under so and so circumstances.

Exactly how safe is it in Iran? very safe i'd say. Obviously there are good and bad areas just like any other city/country. I wondered the streets of Tehran at 3am with my buddies and I felt perfectly safe. Believe it or not, Tehran is actually more like Toronto than any other city I've seen. At any time of the day, even late at night, streets are filled with people. The night life is actually quite interesting over there but thats for another thread...

I just hate generalizations like "There is such a thing as a good Iranian? And yes, there is. But Iran is still Iran, a country run by terrorists."
Well of course there is, why would you even ask that? People over there aren't monsters for ****'s sake... They are people like you and me. few people like the ruling government of Iran, but the majority of Iranians are good people and certainly not terrorists.

Its difficult to explain in so few words but after my visit, I realized just how much propaganda there is in Iran against the west, but also I realized how much propaganda there is in the west against Iran. It is really amazing how the media's portrayal of anything can affect the views of people.

I probably just opened myself to a whole lot of flame right there, so I'll stop for now :) Just felt I should add my personal experience :2cents:.