Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with extra sharp canine teeth

splacek
August 1st, 2004, 09:11 PM
I have a cat (9 months old)I took in that was a stray, she is a good cat but is somewhat of a biter at times with us and always with our other cat. Her canine teeth are much more sharper then usual and she causes very bad puncture wounds very quickly when she bites. Our other cat is scared of her because of her teeth being so sharp. I heard that a vet can file down the tips on her canine teeth so that she can't puncture the skin so easily. If this can't be done I am afraid that one of these days I am going to end up with one of the bites not healing properly. I have known a couple of people who ended up in the hospital because of a cat bite. Does anyone know if this procedure be done and if so are there any problems that come from filing the canine teeth?[/FONT][/FONT]

Lucky Rescue
August 1st, 2004, 11:43 PM
It would be better to teach her not to bite. She may have had to fight for food while living outside,and got in the habit of biting.

Try using a squirt bottle, set on "mist" only, and use that when she starts to bite. Say "NO" when you use the squirt bottle. Eventually, the word "NO" by itself should do it. If she stops the bite, give her a little treat. Give her some toys to play with and some catnip to "take the edge off."

I doubt her teeth are any sharper than most cats teeth, but yes, she can have her canines filed blunt with no ill effects. But the bites will still hurt, and will certainly still hurt your other cat. She needs to learn to stop biting completely.