Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie of Hazel Run

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie had an unlucky beginning. Her first owner was a self-styled "dog broker" who didn't have the time to train, a love for dogs, or even room to keep her. He farmed her out to a buddy who had an empty outdoor kennel and there she stayed by herself for about 12 months. As a result, she never really bonded to humans early in her life, although she has a couple she really likes now :D

When she came to Hazel Run she was very shy and didn't know how to play with other dogs. But the Princess-Queen and the Sheriff took her under their paw and taught her what she needed to know. Now she can hold her own even against Bratty Brier. :dog:

Because of her upbringing (or lack thereof) she has always been somewhat aloof--if she's watching a squirrel or a butterfly, she turns off her ears to commands. But once you get her attention, she's very happy to come to you, her tail wagging all the way. Training has always been tricky, too--if you ask her to do something that she doesn't understand it disturbs her almost to the point of catatonia. :sad: Turns out that the best way to train her is to have her watch another dog (preferably our other orange, Ember--cuz oranges stick together, don't ya know :D) do it first! :thumbs up It's slow, but we're getting there.

And, to keep this thread from getting any slower, without further ado I present Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie of Hazel Run!

"Any Doves over there?"

"How about Bunnies?"

"Toads? Oh, wait....too cold for toads. What a pity."

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2009, 10:58 PM
"Maybe Turkeys under the feeder?"

"Whoa! Is that a Squirrel?! Rats...no! Just some leaves..."

"I've been checking for Mole under the snow, but it's evidently too cold for Mole, too..." :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2009, 11:06 PM
"Okay, this is boring. Time for my afternoon nap."

Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie heads for her favorite bed, turns around three times and snuggles deep into the pillow.

"I'm going to dream of spring and Butterfly and Toad and Mole and ... Bird ... and ... and
... Luscious Mud... and...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..."

sweet dreams Ms Macie

angeldogs
January 31st, 2009, 11:07 PM
It's about time.:frustrated::D I've been waiting for this thread on Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie.:cloud9::lovestruck:.she is one goreous puppers.it's good that she is with you and not the brain dead people who left her in a kennel.

TeriM
January 31st, 2009, 11:14 PM
Awwww Macie :lovestruck:, I love how kind her soul seems to be even with such a rotten start. She just might be my favourite .... although Lil Belle and the Sheriff are definately up there ..... actually I'd take anyone of them :D.

I love that pic of her looking up for the squirrel :cloud9:.

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2009, 11:16 PM
The really sad thing is that a couple of years after Ms Macie was rescued from the guy, he decided to have another go at it. His neighbors finally turned him in to the SPCA because his dogs were out in tiny filthy dog-runs with just those igloo things for shelter. The authorities made him give up the dogs--and that's how we got Brier. So Macie and Brier had something in common, more's the pity :frustrated: But Brier was only there for 6 months so didn't have quite the emotional disability Macie had.

We're just hoping the guy has given up the brokering for good, now :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2009, 11:18 PM
She is a little sweetie, Teri...no question of that :cloud9: She's really taken to cuddling at night...only she's still a little awkward at it. :o She often tries to curl up on my head! :laughing:

angeldogs
January 31st, 2009, 11:31 PM
Awwwwww the one eye open pic and the last sleeping pic.i could cuddle with her for hours.

Hopefully he did give up brokering,Brier is another lucky one also they all are.
So after they were rescued from this guy were they in rescue long before you and hubby adopted them.?

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2009, 11:34 PM
So after they were rescued from this guy were they in rescue long before you and hubby adopted them.?
Macie was there for about 6 months...Brier only for 2 or 3 months. But there were lots of other dogs to play with and people there to dote on them, so they thought they'd gone to heaven when they got there. :D Coming here was just icing on the cake for them.

angeldogs
January 31st, 2009, 11:41 PM
Macie was there for about 6 months...Brier only for 2 or 3 months. But there were lots of other dogs to play with and people there to dote on them, so they thought they'd gone to heaven when they got there. :D Coming here was just icing on the cake for them.

I quess that's not too long being in rescue.as long as they got lots of attention.so with Macies emotional state they must have had to do some work with her.?

More pics of her would be great.she has the sweetest face and eyes

otis'mom
January 31st, 2009, 11:52 PM
Beautiful dog. I love the one eye open pic. too cute:)

Ford Girl
January 31st, 2009, 11:53 PM
I was waitn for Macie's thread too. :lovestruck: I just love this girl. :angel:

rainbow
I love the "checking for the mole" pic and the "winking" pic and the "zzzzzzz" pic :cloud9: .........Ms Macie is such a beautiful girl. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
I quess that's not too long being in rescue.as long as they got lots of attention.so with Macies emotional state they must have had to do some work with her.?

More pics of her would be great.she has the sweetest face and eyes
I think the biggest help she got was the socialization with the other dogs there. It helped her appreciate the beauties of a Pack. :D When she first came here she was very shy of strangers, but with a little work, she got much more comfortable with humans...in fact, now she's swung too far in the other direction. She's almost too comfortable with them.

She's such a little waif.

In summer, when she's not watching Pesky Red Squirrels and Fat Gray Squirrels...

...or patrolling for the dreaded Dangerous Butterfly...

...then she's probably out defending the borders from Moles and Chipmunks. :D She's one of our best patrollers. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
January 31st, 2009, 11:58 PM
"Maybe Turkeys under the feeder?"

"Whoa! Is that a Squirrel?! Rats...no! Just some leaves..."

My two fave pics :cloud9: :lovestruck: Ms Macie :lovestruck: so purrty :grouphug:

She looks just smashing in her green collar too :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2009, 11:59 PM
She can really touch your heart. It makes me so sad when she gets catatonic in the face of something new. She has such a good personality otherwise, imagine how she would have turned out if she'd had a better beginning!

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2009, 11:59 PM
Yep, green has always been her fave color, growler. :D It goes so nicely with her orange spots! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
February 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM
In summer, when she's not watching Pesky Red Squirrels and Fat Gray Squirrels...

Oh and Love this one too :lovestruck::lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
February 1st, 2009, 12:02 AM
Yep, green has always been her fave color, growler. :D It goes so nicely with her orange spots! :thumbs up

:D Green has always been Duffy's fave colour too! She now has a green collar too. :laughing:

rainbow
February 1st, 2009, 12:11 AM
Hazel, I never heard Ms Macie's "story" before :grouphug: and, it got me to thinking (a very scary thought, I know :rolleyes: :D) .....but, could you post a thread on the "biographies" of each of the pack members? :cloud9: :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ooooo....wait till I tell Macie that Duffy likes green, too! :thumbs up

It took Cole and Cass 2 months to teach Macie that it was okay to play. And when Brier and Grace came, she was still shy with them at first, especially with the big bruiser, Deputy Brier. But she soon was taking it to the big guy with impunity:

And I love the look she's giving him here:

:laughing: :laughing:

This is the sort of thing that makes hazel feel the most :cloud9:

Ford Girl
February 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM
was it her that told Brier he was disqualified from the olympics? :D:laughing: she's too cute. Isnt it wonderful when you see dogs teaching dogs? :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hazel, I never heard Ms Macie's "story" before :grouphug: and, it got me to thinking (a very scary thought, I know :rolleyes: :D) .....but, could you post a thread on the "biographies" of each of the pack members? :cloud9: :fingerscr

It would likely turn into a novel. :o You know how that madame hazel is! :laughing:

I've done a thread on Ember, Cass, Cole, and Grace...I suppose I could go back and add a little to them? :shrug:

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 12:22 AM
was it her that told Brier he was disqualified from the olympics? :D:laughing: she's too cute. Isnt it wonderful when you see dogs teaching dogs? :cloud9:

Yep...he was pushin' it then, too! :laughing: She had that same pugnacious look on her face when she disqualified him! :dog:

She loves it when the Pack is playing hard and noisily, but she hates it if they make her 'popular' (the brunt of all the attention). She'd much rather have Lil Belle and Cole be the targets so she can bark loudly at them from the perimeter of the action while the others go in for paw-to-paw combat with the popular one. :D One-on-one, though, she can hold her own with any of them. She has actually been known to play with the grumpy ol' King on occasion. :dog:

rainbow
February 1st, 2009, 12:32 AM
It would likely turn into a novel. :o You know how that madame hazel is! :laughing:

I've done a thread on Ember, Cass, Cole, and Grace...I suppose I could go back and add a little to them? :shrug:

Yes, I know how she is and that's why I love her. :D

Could you pleeeeeze persuade her into combining each of those threads into one that includes all of the pack. :o :fingerscr :grouphug:

TeriM
February 1st, 2009, 12:33 AM

...or patrolling for the dreaded Dangerous Butterfly...

...then she's probably out defending the borders from Moles and Chipmunks. :D She's one of our best patrollers. :thumbs up[/CENTER]

Those are all wonderful pictures of her :cloud9:. She really has more of a delicate look about her then some of the others.

And I love the look she's giving him here:

:laughing::laughing: This pic cracks me up.

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 12:38 AM
Could you pleeeeeze persuade her into combining each of those threads into one that includes all of the pack. :o :fingerscr :grouphug:

Oy...

Would this (http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~hobbittoes/hazelrunpack/About%20us.htm) do? :o

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 12:43 AM
Those are all wonderful pictures of her :cloud9:. She really has more of a delicate look about her then some of the others.

She's smaller and less jowly than some of the others. Her conformation isn't very good for a setter--her head isn't right and her ears are set too high. But I think she's perfect just the way she is :cloud9: :lovestruck:

TeriM
February 1st, 2009, 12:46 AM
But I think she's perfect just the way she is :cloud9: :lovestruck:

No argument here :cloud9:.

rainbow
February 1st, 2009, 12:51 AM
Oy...

Would this (http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~hobbittoes/hazelrunpack/About%20us.htm) do? :o

I never realized you had all that info there. :o

The boys are being bratty right now so I'll have to read it later when I can concentreate better. :rolleyes:

And, thanks. :2huggers:

14+kitties
February 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Awww :cloud9: Thanks for sharing MMMMM's story hazel. Brings a tear to my eye. She sure is a lucky lady to have found you now. :thumbs up
Love all of the pics! They are all great. Can't find a favourite!

krdahmer
February 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM
Oh that last one is hilarous... like "and your point is?"!!! Now that's some girly-tude!!! I love the one eye'd sleepy face too! And oh those floofy orange ears!!!! :lovestruck::cloud9:

allymack
February 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
those are all great shots. Miss Macie is very photogenic:cloud9: and her nose looks quite smoochable :D

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
I never realized you had all that info there. :o

There's this page (http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~hobbittoes/hazelrunpack/HRP%20trivia.htm), too, rainbow--a little more about them...and the Definitions page. (http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~hobbittoes/hazelrunpack/Definitions.htm) The Pack has a rather wordy website :laughing:

She sure is a lucky lady to have found you now. :thumbs up

We actually think we're the lucky ones :cloud9:

Oh that last one is hilarous... like "and your point is?"!!! Now that's some girly-tude!!! I love the one eye'd sleepy face too! And oh those floofy orange ears!!!! :lovestruck::cloud9:

Her ears are very kissable. :cloud9: And yes, when Brier gets too forward, she pulls that girly-tude out like a weapon! :laughing: He's learned that she's not kidding. :o

those are all great shots. Miss Macie is very photogenic:cloud9: and her nose looks quite smoochable :D

Yep...the nose ranks as high as the ears in smoochableness. :laughing:

Frenchy
February 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Great pics Hazel , I lover the Muddy Macie :lovestruck: she looks mighty better after a mud bath :thumbs up

angeldogs
February 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
:laughing:Love the look in the last one,the not impressed go head try it make my day look.
The power of the pack sure can be lightening and helpfull to those that need it.love your pack but Macie pulls on the heart strings just a little more.

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Macie loves mud...and moss...and she's not feeling really productive unless she's as messy as she can get. :D

Ms Macie thanks everyone for the kind comments..."And now can I please go back out and check for Squirrels?!" :dog: Hey, what can hazel say? That's just the sort of girl Ms Macie is :o :p

ancientgirl
February 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
LOL, I love that last picture. She's giving that "Yeah whatever" look.

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
LOL, I love that last picture. She's giving that "Yeah whatever" look.
And she does it so well! :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
February 3rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
A couple of videos, 1 loud & barky, featuring Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie :D :

Ms Macie, Ace Butterfly Catcher (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3014793/8610013)

Ms Macie takes it to the Pack (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/533413/2735896)

angeldogs
February 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
great videos,did she enjoy eating the butterfly.
The wife says she gorgeous.

hazelrunpack
February 3rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Oh, I remember that one now! :laughing: She doesn't usually catch them, so hazel was unprepared for the carnage! :eek:

Macie is truly a sweet little thing...I was just cuddling with her this afternoon and she was just eating it up :cloud9: