Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP!! this is a tough one!!

rexdoggieowner
August 1st, 2004, 04:18 PM
Hey everyone... here is my problem

( i have an 8th month border collie ) and he is my responsibility.. and i have places to go to 3 weeks straight -- only 1 more weekend to be away... i only go away for 2 nights... and the past 2 weekends my parents have had my 2 nieces over too... and they said that my dog goes crazy without me at home ( i'm the primary trainer ) and he gets really 'bad' as in not listening to what they say, or peeing on the floor.. ( i don't know why he does that ). this weekend is the last weekend that i am away. I NEVER go away, and this is my past opportunity to vist a couple friends before school starts. I called a bunch of pet sitters -- but overnight-- they are all booked. I don't want my parents to watch him again at all.. any ideas ?! I don't have a problem paying .. the only thing avaliable is one pet walker and its 14 bucks for 30 min. what would you guys do ?! ( im in the burlington area )

melanie
August 1st, 2004, 04:33 PM
is there any way you cna seperate the dog from your family, for instance i have a big back yard and if someone is looking after my dog she stays out there only coming in to eat and sleep at night, that way the person caring for them does not need to do much and you will feel better as you remove the dog from under their feet. if that is not possible could he perhaps stay in your room when he is not busy such as toileting just to keep him out of the way also find out exactly what he does when you are not around, how did he go with your neices?

rexdoggieowner
August 1st, 2004, 04:51 PM
since my dog is still a pup-- if he doesn't get attention and gets walked-- he'll go crazy and be districtive... and he will bark and scratch the back yard door too ( which is a problem that i am having with him)

this weekend was fine-- its jsut that my parents had a lot on their plate, which is understandable. DO you think he doesn't listen because i'm not around ?! is that only cause he is a puppy, or is he too attached to me which can get serious when he grows up ?!

sammiec
August 1st, 2004, 05:39 PM
I am guessing that you had this dog when you were away at school. What did you do then? Are your parents not willing to walk him our play with him? What about your nieces, I'm assuming they are young, but I'm sure they are active, do they play together? How does your puppy react around the girls?
The only thing that I can suggest, but shouldn't, is a kennel. You must go visit that kennel and talk to the operators, see the conditions that the dogs are in....I don't know how well you know the overnight petsitters, but they can be just as risky! Please evaluate your decision before you leave you pet with someone that you don't know that well. I personally would not leave my dog in that situation. I guess your dog cannot be included in your plans for the weekend? :(

Luba
August 1st, 2004, 06:04 PM
This breed needs exercise, if they invest time to exercise the dog atleast 2 times a day with heavy exercise, as Lucky Rescue calls it tonge hanging out of the mouth type of exercise it will be beneficial.

Balls, toys, frisbee's outdoors LOTS and LOTS of exercise.

rexdoggieowner
August 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM
I live at home when i go to school... no, my parents do walk him-- but he needs the attention... my nieces are only 5 and 7..
and i think i figured out a plan-- i'll just go with my friends only for 1 day... i have to make the sacrifice!! i'll go early morning and come back late night-- my parents should be able to take care of him for only 1 day, and i'll take him for a super long walk before i get home-- thanks for the info sam and luba ( does anyone know if my dog will calm down w/ age.. or will he ALWAYS be as hyper as he is now ?! just wondering... i don't mind that he needs lots of attention... cause i give him lots... but i'm just worried and i don't want to be a bad owner :( )

Luba
August 1st, 2004, 06:10 PM
You should look into agility classes. Border collies are herding dogs and have a LOT of energy. If they don't have some form of job to do in the way of exercise they can be very distructive.

Agility or fly ball is great, these dogs love it! :D

rexdoggieowner
August 1st, 2004, 06:22 PM
how would i go about looking for those classes ?

how often do you need to take them there ?

sammiec
August 1st, 2004, 06:41 PM
Here are a contact...This one was recommended by my vet. I would give her a call to get more information!!! But before your dog can do ANY specific obidence task it must have BASIC training, from your past posts I gather that he has NO training what so ever. That is a MUST!! It will make your parents much happier too!!!

Deb Desjardine "Campaign Dog Academy"
phone: 905 702-7322
fax: 905 702-7424
email:deb-desjardine@sympatico.ca
web site:www.campaigndogacademy.com
services:Obedience training from 10 week old puppies, beginner and advanced Obedience. Agility training , competitive agility, clicker agility training. Show Handling, Specialty Classes, plus Private Lessons. A variety of Seminars, demonstrations, workshops, trials, matches, shows, meetings etc.

rexdoggieowner
August 1st, 2004, 07:04 PM
you need training for agility classes? or are you talking about obidience training... do you know the costs ?!

where are they located?

thanks for the contact

rexdoggieowner
August 1st, 2004, 07:18 PM
oh and if i train him-- can't he eventually be a good trained dog ?@

sammiec
August 1st, 2004, 10:04 PM
Campaign is located in Georgetown. I don't know if you have a car or not. I was recommending her for agililty but she does basic training too. I didn't go that class though... I would give her a call or visit her website: http://www.campaigndogacademy.com/

IMO, dog training should be done with the help of a professional; you could run into behaviour problems that can easily be handled by the instructor. Unknowingly, you can increase the problems and they can escalate beyond your control. I would leave the training to the experts. You do have to be there and handle the dog yourself though; they just provide the instruction. Classes are usually once a week. I will repeat (from the other post) that any further training classes like agility, flyball, etc do require BASIC training. To complete any of these courses the dog should have the BASIS traingi done by a professional - I think they even require a certificate.

rexdoggieowner
August 2nd, 2004, 10:54 AM
okay!!

i found a greta obidence school.. :)

melanie
August 2nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
do they have what we call pet resorts or retreats where you are?? we have some here and they are great, oh your animal gets the most amazing care, they even play soothing music throughout the day and play with your animal often. here they are no more expensive than a kennel but just provide a higher standard of care from people you know are dog owners and lovers. i wouldnt reccomend a kennel, a friends dog died at one recently due to lack of care and adequate attention as the animal was ill, but there are some good ones out there, they just sadly get mixed in with the others. if you want to check one out do a drop in check, dont let them know your coming, and ask lots of questions. and get your mum or dad to stop in on another day also. but check out pet resorts, great places