Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I cannot control my eating of junk food

Elizabetth
January 31st, 2009, 03:37 AM
Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.

badger
January 31st, 2009, 06:24 AM
Forget dieting. If you eat good food, your body will reward you. If not it will do you in.
There was a guy on TV last night, a doctor who wrote a best-selling book on foods that protect against cancer, and he said that you have to slowly train your body away from fast food, as with an addiction, and re-introduce healthy eating. He said if you ordinarily get hardly any fiber, to switch suddenly to beans and raw vegetables would play havoc with your system. So it is a good idea to start slowly, adding good food in small increments.
So start small. Commit to a good breakfast, every day. Get up early if you have to. Make sure there is a protein source - eggs, cheese, etc. - and some kind of whole grain (wholewheat toast), plain yogurt with fresh fruit, etc. Forget quantities for the moment. A good breakfast sets you up for the day.
Immediately cut out all refined sugar. Processed foods (chips, baked stuff) all contain sugar and bad fats and many low-fat items contain even more sugar to compensate. If you have a sweet tooth, eat fruit. Watch out for fruit juices, very caloric.
Make a fabulous soup on the weekend and take it to work in a thermos, with a sandwich on the side. Add a handful of barley or rice for extra nutrition.
Avoid pasta for now. Too much pasta is a killer.
There are so many books out there; maybe someone can recommend one because I'm drawing a blank.
Once you start eating well, you will have so much more energy, you will even think more clearly.

14+kitties
January 31st, 2009, 07:15 AM
Have you joined any health forums? I don't get why someone who has no pets would join a pet forum to ask human diet questions? There are lots of forums out there for human dieting.

badger
January 31st, 2009, 09:46 AM
I had the same thought.....:)