Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Catahoula Leopard Doge

Garnet Elmer
August 1st, 2004, 03:20 PM
I would appreciate a timely response to this question if possible. Our family is interested in adopting a Catahoula Leopard Dog from the local SPCA. However, it would have to be an outside dog. Would it be able to withstand the winter weather if left outside in a run. I live in Saskatchewan. Thanks

sammiec
August 1st, 2004, 05:57 PM
What is the reason that the dog would have to live outside? Dogs are pack animals and thrive on love, affection, and others. They are NOT solitary animals!!! It's unfair for the poor animal to be freezing cold outside during your VERY cold and dark Saskatchewan winter, not to mention while you and your family are enjoying the warmth and comfort of your home!!! :( Catahoula Leopard Dogs are short haired, for that reason they MUST be kept indoors. They are not "designed" to be outdoor pets, nevermind the dangers of leaving a dog alone and tied outside. How would the dog be able to defend itself should another animal enter your property when it's tied and restricted!?!?! :rolleyes:
I would suggest that you reconsider adopting an animal at all. Reconsider your priorities! It very selfish to have an animal that you expect to live outside alone and freezing cold during the winter. Pass on this dog.

Lucky Rescue
August 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
As sammiec said, Catahoulas are short haired dogs, originating in the southern states and cannot be left outside in Sask. winters. I would think that would be pretty obvious. :confused:

I'm just curious - why would you get a dog if you don't want it to be a companion?

Luba
August 1st, 2004, 06:02 PM
Don't get a dog if it's going to be left outside. It's not beneficial to the dog for health and emotional reasons.

PLEASE!

LavenderRott
August 1st, 2004, 06:30 PM
If I am not mistaken, this breed originated in the southern U.S. While I rarely recommend keeping a dog outside, I am thinking that one winter in your neck of the woods, would kill this dog.

chico2
August 2nd, 2004, 07:36 AM
Although I have never heard of this breed :D I agree with all the dog-lovers in this post,NO dog should be subjected to the brutal winters of Sasc..
What's your reason for even thinking of getting a dog?
It baffles me :eek:

CityLimits
August 2nd, 2004, 08:18 AM
I adopted a Catahoula x from the spca this past April and I would not recommend adopting one if it is going to be an outside dog. As the others have said, this is a short haired dog and even with a proper dog house/shelter it wouldn't do well with the extremely cold winter days and nights. As well, this is a very active breed and needs a lot of exercise. Without it, the dog will chew, dig and basically destroy your back yard. This breed needs a big, safe area to run free and burn off all of their energy. Leaving the dog outside to exercise itself doesn't cut it either. This breed (like many others) takes a lot of work and commitment to get a well adjusted and behaved dog.

Putting the physical factors aside, my Catahoula would be devestated if he was left outside away from us. He thrives on human contact and thinks he is a lap dog (all 75 pounds). I think it is especially important for a rescue dog to have a chance to be inside and build the important bond with the new owners.

Although I don't agree with leaving dogs outside all the time, if you are going to get a dog anyway, I wouldn't suggest getting the Catahoula.

Just my 2 cents

chico2
August 2nd, 2004, 10:18 AM
CityLimits,would you have a picture to post,I would love to see what he looks like. :p

chico2
August 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Laura,thank's for trying!! I'll do a Google search myself :p

chico2
August 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Wow,he looks a little strange :eek: those eyes!!
But still a beauty,I am sure :p Thank's Laura!

Princesss04
August 2nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Do they all have eyes that look like that? He is really cute though! :D

CityLimits
August 2nd, 2004, 06:10 PM
Here is a link to some pictures of my guy Leo.

Also, from what I have read, they can have various eye colours and coat colours and markings.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=151569639&photoID=151571465&security=eHwqOm

glasslass
August 2nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
I couldn't bring it up! :confused:

MBRA518
August 2nd, 2004, 07:12 PM
Here is a link to some pictures of my guy Leo.

Also, from what I have read, they can have various eye colours and coat colours and markings.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=151569639&photoID=151571465&security=eHwqOm
CL... you have to make sure you post the public address... looks like you posted your membership address - that's why it will not work.

CityLimits
August 2nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Sorry....... this link should work. Leo is in "My Dogs" album

http://community.webshots.com/user/kruzekontrol

Lucky Rescue
August 2nd, 2004, 09:10 PM
Wow - your dogs are beautiful! What is Leo mixed with? He looks kinda Great Dane-y! :D

I see a familiar face there too. Do you how Reno is doing?

chico2
August 2nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
Your dogs sure are"WOW"...beautiful!!! 4 dogs :eek: quiet a lovely handful,I am sure :D

CityLimits
August 3rd, 2004, 07:19 AM
Thanks LR & chico2.

I don't know what Leo is crossed with as he was picked up as a stray and brought into the spca. I agree, I see some dane in him especially his head.
Reno is getting along great at his new home. He has really taken a liking to the dog they already had and are apparently best buddies. He has also lost some of that extra weight and is moving around a little better.

medwriter45
May 7th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I just found your message posted last August (2004), so this is hardly a "timely" response! Nevertheless - I wanted to put my two cents in re: your considering adopting a Catahoula. Obviously, by now you've made a decision and I hope, for the dog's sake (ANY breed), you opted NOT to adopt unless you also decided to share your home - the INSIDE of it - with you pet! I have a Catahoula (a 5-yr-old male) and they're one of the sweetest, gentlest, most affectionate breeds you can ever be privileged to own (and to be owned by)! Buddy is SO gentle with my preschool grandchildren and has never growled at or bitten anyone. He also sleeps on my bed (not at the foot of it, but ON it) and has his own chair in the family room. He loves to swim laps in the pool (we live in sunny Arizona). Anyone who leaves a dog outside in the summertime here is just as guilty of animal cruelty as someone who leaves an animal outside in the winter in Saskatchewan! But aside from that issue, this breed is a very intelligent, affectionate and sensitve dog who NEEDS to be around his human "pack." Buddy follows me around so closely that he steps on my heels, and he also follows me from room to room. It would absolutely kill him to be left outside! Catahoulas, like other dogs, are companion animals, as the other members said. They not only feel threatened and anxious when left alone, but also get depressed and develop behavioral problems, like digging, chewing, etc. (By the way, Catahoulas are the official "state dog" of Louisiana. They herd wild pigs out of swamps, among other things). Anyway, end of sermon. Do yourself and the dog a favor and don't adopt him!

glasslass
May 8th, 2005, 06:31 AM
I just got so excited that Luba was back - then I saw the date :sad:

Sipot
November 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
I think a lot of you are from teh states and maybe dont realize we dont live in the North Pole. Dark SK winters were mentioned. We dont have reduced daylight here! Also he never mentioned that he was going to TIE the dog up. We have always had our dogs outside and have NEVER had a problem. They have straw in their dog houses and are completely fine. We have had Labs, Old English Sheepdogs, Collies, and mixes not one died and it is definately not cruel. Not all dogs HAve to be in thse house. There is such a thing as an outside dog. They are after all dogs that for hundreds of years were outside. Which would be why they have fur!

mafiaprincess
November 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Post is from 2004..

MyBirdIsEvil
November 3rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
There is such a thing as an outside dog. They are after all dogs that for hundreds of years were outside.

The post you are responding to is from 2004.
Nevertheless I don't know who "they" is when you say "they are after all dogs", because all breeds have different tolerances to weather. Some breeds will freeze to death if left outside in the cold too long, some breeds will die if left in the heat for large amounts of time.

Which would be why they have fur!

Dogs were created by humans - not all dogs have fur, and not all dogs have long enough fur to keep them warm when it gets extremely cold, a catahoula is one of those.

I think a lot of you are from teh states and maybe dont realize we dont live in the North Pole

Since you've mentioned geography and weather, I will say that the southern united states doesn't often get extremely cold, and when it does get a bit chilly it's normally not for long periods of time. The south is where catahoulas were created, and that's the weather they were bred to be able to tolerate, not snow and cold. Like many working breeds they were bred to tolerate living outside, but because of the region they come from that doesn't include snow and very cold weather.
Whether a dog should be kept outside is a matter of opinion, but catahoulas have a short single coat so they need to have access to somewhere that is heated in cold whether, or be kept in the house while it is cold.