Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Post-Nightmare/Dream Biting??

dollface
January 31st, 2009, 01:45 AM
I bought some Purr Pads for the catlings a few months ago and this "biting/chewing" started just after that. I also had put blankets on the couch for them to sleep on as well. I've never seen Gizzy do it, so it's basically just Forest.

He will be sleeping on the Purr Pads or the on top of the blankets and he starts dreaming. He then moans and wakes himself up, opens his eyes, looks for the closest thing to chew and goes at it. Even tho he has already opened his eyes, appears to be awake, starts to chew and closes his eyes again!

This is annoying b/c he is basically ruining the Purr Pads. At first I thought it has something to do with the Purr Pads which are designed for keeping the heat in, but it doesnt really matter what bedding he is sleeping on he will bite away at it as if its a mouse and makes a moaning sound while doing it.

My problem isn't the state of the Purr Pads anymore, I would like to know if this excessive dream biting is normal or if there is an underlying problem??

thanks for listening and hope someone has some insight!

Love4himies
January 31st, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have never had a cat who has done this so I can't offer any advice. Could Forest be sleep walking?

dollface
February 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
I have never had a cat who has done this so I can't offer any advice. Could Forest be sleep walking?

I did not know cats could sleep walk. I guess this means Forest is special? :laughing:

I just hope this is not causing him distress or anything, its mostly an annoyance we live with, happens every time he sleeps on a blanket or the Purr Pad, and then once he wakes up he starts meowing that sounds like he's saying "hello!" but its more of a "harrrrrroooooooow?" could that be considered caterwauling??

dollface
March 5th, 2009, 04:57 AM
this is getting out of hand :( part of the reason why I haven't gone to bed yet...

Forest has always been a quiet cat. When he lived with my bf up til last year, he was an indoor/outdoor cat. We moved in together Feb 08 and it has been a year he has lived here happily.

Until this nightmare-biting-moaning started and now he meows about 3-4 times after we go to bed. He also has started meowing after he uses the litter, or a few hours before their next feeding time. At night, When I hear him, I open the door and he stops and runs away. I'm thinking he still wants outside.

He can't go outside because, we live on the top floor of an apartment building and when I did take him outside on a lead he tried to run repeatedly into the trenchy-forest part where I couldn't fit like he could. Such a bad experience I won't be trying ever again.

How long can cats take to adapting to indoor life? He has sat by the front door meowing, we open the door and him prolly expecting to see the great outdoors, just sees more indoors, a hallway to be exact. And the times he did venture out in the hall, he ran away when he got near the elevators. Gizzy is still young and has taken to the lead very well, but being Bengal or at least part he won't ever have free reign to the outdoors b/c they don't have good road sense.

My bf is contemplating asking his mom to take him so he can go outside, but I feel this is not a viable excuse to stop the meowing. I'm pretty sure he isn't sick except for the Iris Melanoma, and can't tell if this could be an extension of that. So does anybody have ideas? Cry for attention? Still wants outside?

growler~GateKeeper
March 6th, 2009, 01:26 AM
How old is Forest?

The yeowling especially at night could be indicative of Hyperthroidism (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=138), it is a classic sign also was the first thing that alerted me to the fact that my cat had it. A full blood panel will have the test for T4, that will tell you if that is an issue and the test will also indicate if anything else is going on.

I would also have him into the vet to have a look at his teeth, something like reabsorptive lesions (http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00066.htm) could be causing the blanket chewing in an effort to relieve his discomfort.

14+kitties
March 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Yep, along with your other thread, seeing as this all seems to be fairly new to Forest's behaviour I would be getting a full workup from the vet. He needs to be checked over. At the very least have the blood panel done. Good luck.

He does not still want outside if this behaviour just started a while ago.