Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have a problem

chico2
January 30th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Most of you know by now how my Rocky reacts to stray cats around,having seriously attacked me 3 times.The last time I had to be on IV-antibiotics for a while and got really sick from infection.
Anyway,as I told 14+,a cat has been coming around here every night around 10pm,the last couple of night he/she has come right up to the patio-door,howling and meowing,like a female in heat.
We've had to block the stairs to the deck,but now she is howling down in the yard.
I have not had a really good look at him/her,since she comes at night,not good enough to see if it's a male or female.
I would hate to think he/she is starving and cold,but there is no way I can take a strange cat into the house.
Almost every house here has a cat and many are roamers,I am pretty sure I know where this one lives.
She is black or grey/white longhaired cat.
I was at HS today,delivering a couple of cases of food and they will lend me a trap over night,but what if I take her away from her home and she ends up in a cage at HS,where they already have so many cats???
I tell you,watching TV at night is not enjoyable,I am constantly watching for her,to make sure Rocky does not go frantic.
So far they have all 3 been pretty good.
Last night they were all in bed with me,then they heard her and took off like a shot to the window.
It might not sound like a big problem but to me it is,not only for fear of being attacked,but also I worry about this kitty.
If she has an owner,I am pretty sure she does,since they have not bothered having her spayed,they more than likely would not bother checking HS if she's there,or pay the fee to get her out,what to do:confused::confused:

14+kitties
January 30th, 2009, 05:50 PM
chico - if it's got to the point that this cat is coming to your house every night then it's time to talk to the owners. If they do not seem interested in keeping this cat indoors or, at the very least getting her fixed, then you don't have much choice to either get in contact with the HS or me :D. I will try to sneak her past hubby. She will be in a cage here too but it will be bigger. Other than that, I am stumped. :shrug:

krdahmer
January 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Maybe she is being let out and then the owners neglect to let her back in so she is cold and looking for somewhere to stay warm as the night goes on.... (one of the neighbours cats jumped in my trunk last year when I was unloading groceries in a bad storm). Should you trap and prefer the cage at 14's my van is ready for transpo! ;) If you think you know who the owners are... that might be the spot to start.

I know how unnerving an outdoor visitor at all hours can be, I had to cover all my window wells as I was being awoken to howls and hissing every mornin at 4 am when said neighbour let their cat out as they went to work.:frustrated: I was upset by the noise, how it was upsetting my cats and that the poor guy was so cold and lonely he was crawling into my window wells! :grouphug:

chico2
January 31st, 2009, 09:21 AM
Thank's my kitty-:angel2:friends,you are very kind,as usual,but I am going to solve this somehow.
Starting with getting a closer look at her by instead of shooing her away,approach her and try to check her out.
She does not seem too scared.
From a distance she looks well fed and did not eat the food I put out once.
She's just interested in my handsome boys:laughing:
A lot of people here let their cats out at night:evil:no matter how cold it is,but usually they don't come here.
The people I think are the owners,in the Town-Houses across from me,will probably tell me where to go,but I'll try to tell them about spaying,if that is the problem(they are foreign,like me:laughing:).
If she comes tonight,I will approach her and get a better look.
Thank's for reading my rant:thumbs up

krdahmer
January 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Anytime Chico... that's what we're here for! :grouphug: Hope you get a better look at her tonight! :goodvibes: Or better yet, that she's home safe and warm instead! :pray:

Love4himies
January 31st, 2009, 10:56 AM
:grouphug: to you chico, I know how hard it is to see kitties outside. The owners are probably unaware of what she is doing outside and may keep her inside once they know.

14+ and krd, how kind of you to offer to help :angel:

badger
January 31st, 2009, 12:03 PM
If it's a female in heat, you'd think she'd know that there ain't no testosterone at your house no mo' :) Maybe it's a couple of males warning each other off. When I left my friend's apartment yesterday, there were two cats, nose to nose, standing on the snowy path. I shooed one off but I'm sure it didn't end there. You could hear them quite clearly from inside.

I'm with you, Chico, suss the cat out and go from there.

ancientgirl
January 31st, 2009, 03:27 PM
Aww, Chico, I'm sorry you are having to go through this. And I can't believe as cold as it's been up there for you all, there are owners who aren't keeping their pets indoors!:wall:

I'm lucky I live on the 4th floor, so my gang can't see any of the other poor cats roaming outside. :sad:

I hope you can figure things out soon.:fingerscr

14+kitties
January 31st, 2009, 03:36 PM
The problem is the same everywhere. People think cats can withstand any weather. They don't know the hazards of freezing temperatures. I guess it's better off having the kitty out in the cold them bugging them all night. :wall:

Maybe see if you can convince them to at the very least let him/her stay in when it's as freezing cold as it has been this last while. We have more really bad stuff coming next week. Hopefully they will wise up.

chico2
January 31st, 2009, 04:42 PM
There is no way my cats would stay outside more than 5 minutes,maybe some cats can deal with the cold,I don't know,some cats just have too,I guess:sad:
I'll watch for the kitty tonight and tomorrow,seeing it's sunday I'll visit the owner,if it's them.
First I have to have a good look at the cat.

Badger,shivers go down my spine listening to a cat-fight,it drives my kitties wild,when they hear it,especially in the summer,with windows open.

chico2
February 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Well,no news really,I stayed up until 11:30(waaay past my bedtime:laughing:)looking and listening,she did not come around,have not seen her since:frustrated:
But I did see Raccoons,a couple of other cats just passing through my back-yard,not strays.
Probably because I say she was not here,she'll be back tonight,we'll see,or maybe she got what she wanted:confused:or maybe she heard us talking about catching her:laughing:
It takes me a long time to fall asleep every night cause I listen for her,in the quiet of the night,you can hear a cat howling very loud,but you must know that already.

aslan
February 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Chico2,,k don't laugh....if the kitty is really upsetting your boys, get hubby to go out and pee at the bottom of both sets of stairs to the deck. It should deter other cats from atleast coming up on the deck as hubby has marked his territory..if he's shy yes he can pee in a cup and do it that way.:D

chico2
February 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Aslan:laughing:a good idea!
We have boarded up the the deck by the stairs,so she cannot get to the patio-door.
Alain will build a proper gate in the spring,on one end the stairs pull up as a gate.
My cats(esp Rocky)are not too bad,when they only see her in the yard,but just outside the Patio-Door drives him crazy:yell:

14+kitties
February 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Let's hope kitty has figured out your house is not a good one to be around. Maybe the smell of your kitties was pretty strong last night. They were probably out longer yesterday because it was nicer? The other times kitty was there was on really cold nights when your boys hadn't been out, right? It's so hard to tell how a cat thinks.

aslan
February 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
my ex and i used to have a cat that continually dug up and pee'd and pooped in the garden right next to our front door. A worker at a garden center told us to do this..out kim goes, whips down her pants and pee's. The cat stopped coming to visit. And your kitties would know daddy's smell so it won't upset them.:thumbs up

chico2
February 2nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
We will try it:laughing:but she's a female in heat,maybe she'll come after Alain:cat:

ancientgirl
February 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Oy Chico, with all that snow you guys are getting, maybe hubby should do his business in a can inside and then take it out.:laughing:

meow
February 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
I would try and find out who the owner is and go have a talk with them about letting their cat out. In my town you can't let a cat roam free around the neighborhood.

chico2
February 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Meow,we have no such by-law here:sad:wish we did,cats are every bit as important as dogs and dogs are not allowed off leash other than in a dog-park.