Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty Cancer - Your thoughts & experience?

RedBull
January 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I'm new here. I've spent a bunch of time reading posts and am thoroughly impressed with the kindness and support in this community!

I did post some info about what has been happening with our dear Patches here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=736567#post736567.

We have been back and forth with our Vet. Yesterday we did a second blood test which indicated elevated liver and kidney values. Our doctor indicated that this could just be due to her not eating. The problem is that Patches' calcium levels are elevated indicating cancer may be present. We left her at the clinic overnight and x-rays were taken this morning which revealed a dark mass in her chest near her heart - This is likely a cancerous cyst putting pressure on her esophogas which prevents her from being able to eat or swallow all her food.

Patches is about 15 years old. Our vet indicated chemo would be too traumatizing for an older cat, but thought steroids may help slow the growth, or even reduce the size, of the cyst.

Has anyone had experience with administering steroids and their effect on the cat's personality or way of living? Of course we want to do everything possible to bring her back to good health, but I can't do this for a long duration of time if she will be in pain.

My wife and I shed a bunch of tears last night and now we are trying to come to terms with what's happening.

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I have no advice, but I did want to send my best wishes for Patches and for you and your wife :grouphug: I have so little cat experience...

:fingerscr that one of our kitty gurus jumps in soon. My posting in the thread will bump it back to the top of the new posts again.

I'm so sorry you're going through this with your little sweetie :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
January 31st, 2009, 02:35 AM
I'm sorry Patches is not feeling well :grouphug:

I have very little experience with cancer, I do however have experience with kidney failure.

One thing I would suggest about the food is to raise the level of the food dish up about 3 inches off the ground. This will put the food above her stomach while she is eating, keeps the stomach acid in the stomach and let gravity help abit with the swallowing.

Would you be willing to try a raw diet?

Have you considered a Homeopath Vet?

TeriM
January 31st, 2009, 02:52 AM
I'm so sorry for what you are going through :sad:. I have no advice but wanted to send some good thoughts and positive vibes to Patches and your family.

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr:

:grouphug:

Pat in NH
February 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM
My 14 year old cat has been on steroids off and on for a year due to spondylosis (spinal degeneration) and she has really done well on it. When she began taking it she could hardly walk. She's doing much better now and has gained some much needed weight. I saw no difference in sleeping patterns or emotional changes, except that she seems happier now. I am so sorry that your friend is in pain, but I wouldn't hesitate to try the steroids. Try everything!