Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our Sookie

cassingermany
January 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM
We recently picked up a homeless female Daushand we named Sookie. We found her wandering around a german town about to wander into the street. I ran and picked her up and started thinking about how to find her owner. until I got a whiff. Boy did she stink! So I started to look her over and sure enough, she is blind, deaf, can hardly walk and most of her teeth were rotten. I took her home, washed her up (3 times!) and decided that whoever had her, took crap care of her so she wasnt going back. After vets appt and $600 later with 5 teeth left (the rest had to be taken out, they were litterally killing her) we find out she is between 12 and 14 years old. We knew she was old but I thought maybe how slow she walked could have been due to how much pain she was in because of her teeth..well being blind and deaf too. So we are severely attached to this dog and while my husband and I have been through deaths, my kids have not. Ive never been through losing a dog though either. What do you do when they do pass? What are some ways to help kids get through it in your own experience?

Sookie is much better then when we found her, she runs (well more like jogs...at a slow pace) and even plays with us for a while (well more like 5 mins but thats a LONG time for her) so I know shes very happy here but we are going to be crushed when Sookie leaves. I read that some dogs go hiding when they die. Partner dogs will howl (we have a Parsons Jack Russel) and they crap themselves. Im trying to prepare myself, we just got her a few months ago and dont want to see her go but I want to know how others have handled it so that I will know what will happen.

Heres Anna and Sookie. Anna is the Parsons Jack Russel. Sookie is the wired haired Daushand.

Chris21711
January 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Thank you for giving this precious little soul a home, you will be rewarded in many ways :)

The passing of a pet is always very sad, you will know when the time is coming, hopefully you will still have quite a few years left with Sookie.

pwrca
January 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
A truly sad story but Sookie is fortunate to have a loving home. When the time comes, you will have comfort in knowing that you gave her love and quality of life, for the time she was with you.