Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm getting really nervous about my job.

ancientgirl
January 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I work for an insurance broker. So far we haven't been impacted by this recession, but it's starting to hit us. We work on the commission that we make from the premiums our clients pay for their health insurance.

A few of our larger groups have had to lay off half their staff. Today, we lost one 20 life client and another client that is over 250 people. That is a loss of between $5,000 and $7,000 a month for us.

I'm getting really scared of us losing more clients. I'd have to work two jobs to make what I make here, and right now, jobs are scarce. And what I'd get from unemployment is a joke. I'm not so much afraid for myself, but my cats. If I can't pay my rent, I'd have to move, likely in with my dad. My dad will not let me have 5 cats in their house.

I'm so afraid of losing my job and not being able to take care of them or keep them.:sad:

totallyhip
January 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry I wish I could help you. I know that now is probably not alot of other jobs out there, but perhaps you could look into it and see what other options there are. Kinda like having a back up plan??? Its really tough out there now. All I can say is hang in there

BenMax
January 29th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm sorry I wish I could help you. I know that now is probably not alot of other jobs out there, but perhaps you could look into it and see what other options there are. Kinda like having a back up plan??? Its really tough out there now. All I can say is hang in there

Excellent suggestion. Always be prepared. It never hurts.

Melinda
January 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM
education is the key, what if you asked your company if they would help with any night courses you could take to better yourself for "their" benefit? always nice to have that "extra" on a resume.

ancientgirl
January 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Melinda, you are correct, but right now, I know a lot of people with college degrees out of work.

I need really save my tax refund. I need that as a cushion just in case.

OMG, I need to start taking my meds again, because I'm starting to feel anxious.

BenMax
January 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
You are anticipating the worst...and it hasn't even happened. Just save as you said and you will be ok. If something does happen - when one door closes another opens. You just need to be optimistic.

totallyhip
January 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
You are anticipating the worst...and it hasn't even happened. Just save as you said and you will be ok. If something does happen - when one door closes another opens. You just need to be optimistic.

Yep that's my theory....don't worry until you know what your worrying about:)

BenMax
January 29th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Yep that's my theory....don't worry until you know what your worrying about:)

Less ulcers..and acne.:laughing:

Karin
January 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Check out Employ Florida Marketplace. It's the State's employment service. There are many great jobs that that you will not see anywhere else. You can make your own profile, add as many resumes as you want and apply direct for jobs listed with the resumes.
If you think you want to change, Florida will also provide free training in areas of high demand such as Department of Corrections, nursing and CDL. You will most likely be offered a great job before you even finish the course of choice. Or go to your local One Stop Career Center, they'll help you get started.
I share your fears AG.

ancientgirl
January 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks Karin. I'll have a look on that site.

I'm a worry wart and I'm looking at the worst case scenario. Things are bad and I can't help but think of the worst. I've got to save every penny I can at this point.

These are the times when I hate being single. Knowing I'm on my own and there is no other income coming in to my household to help during a rough patch is hard.

I'll just have to hope we don't lose any more clients. We need to work hard to keep the ones we have.