Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have I missed anyting?

pwrca
January 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Mooshie, will be coming home next week, I have been busy preparing for his arrival, based on everyones vast experience have I forgotten over looked anything?

I read extensively on the Daschund breed, selected a Breeder with whom I felt confident, selected my puppy and Im waiting impatiently untill he is old enough to come home and I've been puppy proofing the house, still have some concerns but working on it.

Supplies:

Suitable size den (crate)
Blankets
Puppy toys (Pull toy, Kong, nylabones)
bed
food & water bowl
leash, collar, harness
treats for training (natural, holistic, grain-free)
Puppy training pads
Grooming brush
Water proof, reflective coat for outdoors

I have yet to decide on what food I will feed, I've posted in the Pet food threads, and seeking advice.

I very excited about getting Mooshie and I really want to do things right for him, I've already selected a Vet and will enroll Mooshie in puppy kindergarden as soon as he is old enough.

Is there anyting I missing?

TacoGrl
January 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Make sure you have batteries for your camera :D

Oh and ear plugs :D

jessi76
January 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM
dog tag w/ dog's name, your address, and phone number.

X-pen, or cheap baby gates to gate him in or out of any specific areas. X-pens work WELL for small dogs.

A bottle of Nature's Miracle for when accidents happen (and they will).

a doggy toothpaste/toothbrush set to get used to good habits from the start. (my dog likes the poultry flavor - be SURE to use paste made for dogs, not humans. flouride is poisonous)

a nail clipper so you can let the pup get used to it, and get used to it being near his paws. No need to start cutting right away, simply get used to the idea first.

SnowDancer
January 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM
A ramp for puppy to get into your bed - as soon as he decides he is going to - which may be before you are ready - and also to ease strain when he jumps on the couch.

Re the Nylabones - I know there are several on the market. If you are talking about the opaque looking ones, once your pup's teeth are fully developed he will be able to chew pieces from them so I would not re-purchase at that point. My guys were geniuses with this.

Do you know the temperament as yet? If Alpha you will need to keep one step ahead of him as they have military cunning coupled with excessive cuteness.