Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Couple Buying Cloned Dog

lUvMyLaB<3
January 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I heard about this story.. just wondered what other people thought about it..

http://www.justcutedogs.com/florida-couple-pays-150000-for-first-commercially-cloned-dog-msnbc

Shaykeija
January 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM
More money than brains.....:wall::wall::wall:

growler~GateKeeper
January 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I wonder if they did DNA testing on the puppy to be sure it was actually a clone and not a new puppy. I mean yellow lab puppies are not uncommon and the procedure was done in another country, can you imagine if they found out later they were scammed for $150,000 :laughing:

clm
January 29th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I wonder if they did DNA testing on the puppy to be sure it was actually a clone and not a new puppy. I mean yellow lab puppies are not uncommon and the procedure was done in another country, can you imagine if they found out later they were scammed for $150,000 :laughing:

:laughing: Yes, I would want independant DNA testing done for my 150,000.

I've dearly loved all of my past pets, and would have liked for them to live as long as I, but to have them cloned? I don't think so. I would have then missed all the wonderful pets that have come into my life after them.

Cindy

Love4himies
January 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM

:laughing::laughing: Wouldn't that be something.

lUvMyLaB<3
January 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM
part of me wonders anyway, how much the same dog it will be, sure it will look the same.. but I think environment has a lot to do with a puppy.. if this one is socialized more as a baby, or less, it will probably be different anyway, so I guess I don't get the point.. Like we need another way to have more puppies born anyway.

TacoGrl
January 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
It's almost as creepy as stuffing your pet and standing it in a corner of your living room! :yuck:

clm
January 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I also think they could help an awful lot of dogs and cats with $150,000.
Just my opinion.

Cindy

cell
January 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM
The cynical part of me hopes it's just a regular puppy one pulled from a South Korean dumpster. Seriously that money could have been given to a shelter or donated to a charitable organization or something. I seriously hope that there are not people who think by having the same DNA you have the same organism. Identical twins, exact same DNA, split from the same embryo, different organisms, different personalities, even if they are still conjoined.
This dog will be just like having a new puppy and starting over, regardless of genetics. Only difference is it got a 150 000 head start, I wonder if they will bring it to the shelter when they realize its not the same animal as their lost pet...

browniesmom
January 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM
What a waste of Money, There are so many better Thing's That it could go too.

Karin
January 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I loved Ciara that much. I have always said, if I had a chance to do it all over again, I would.
Ciara was my $12,000. "super uber goober". My room mate and partner. Her 7 & 1/2 years was way to short but she out lived even the experts predictions.
When she was feeling good, we had such a great time! Ciara would actually laugh in dog ways. I have pictures of her being so overwhelmed with a case of the funnies. She was hysterical at times...her favorite thing was to play pranks on an unsuspecting me. What a hoot.

I would clone her in a heart beat if possible.

There was obviously so much love for this dog, I see no fault in what they did. If it brings them comfort, so what?

Karin
January 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Another note...I know a couple who spent almost twice that amount on their 10 year old terminally ill Great Dane just so they could spend 7 more months with him.

I applaud their loyalty, devotion and love for their pet. I know he gave the same back to them.

lUvMyLaB<3
January 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I know, and they obviously loved their dog, but they are not going to get the same dog, only in looks... it will still be a puppy, and its environment will predict... I had some great pets, but cloning them would mean I would not have the chance to have other great ones in the future.. I have loved all my animals with all my heart. When the time comes, I will get another and love it just as much, but that's just me.. I would use that money to help other dogs, and rescue a baby to welcome into my family and not expect any animal to "replace" the one I lost. No animal can live up to those expectations...

Karin
January 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I know, and they obviously loved their dog, but they are not going to get the same dog, only in looks... it will still be a puppy, and its environment will predict... I had some great pets, but cloning them would mean I would not have the chance to have other great ones in the future.. I have loved all my animals with all my heart. When the time comes, I will get another and love it just as much, but that's just me.. I would use that money to help other dogs, and rescue a baby to welcome into my family and not expect any animal to "replace" the one I lost. No animal can live up to those expectations...

First, no one knows yet how close the personality of this pup will be to their beloved dog.
New territory here. I can not comment on cloning because I am not an expert on such.
Fear of the unknown is a natural reaction in human society, try not to see the bad side because you do not understand, but instead embrace the possibilities and the future.

I see no reason to blast the people because they had the means to clone their dog. If I could, I would do the same.

Science will forge forward with and without anyone's help. I am all for it.

This may be the start of science medically helpful to all in the future too.

Twenty years ago, I hated computers...they were evil. Here I am!

Now, if all else fails, what is wrong with spending their own money on what they believe is their cloned puppy? I am happy they are happy.

I think this event should be celebrated.

lUvMyLaB<3
January 29th, 2009, 11:11 PM
oh no no, please do not take it as I am bashing someone! I am not! I am just saying what my position is, and what i would do in that situation. They can do what they like, thats fine, I just don't agree that's all. But I am not trying to sound like I am bashing them.

otis'mom
January 29th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I personally think cloning a dog is ridiculous! Yes I'm sure they loved there dog very much. I love my dogs as well. I had a blue tick hound that died about 4 years ago and not a day goes by that I dont miss him, but lets be logical. They are not getting there dog back no matter how you look at it they are getting a new very expensive dog. Also there are so many dogs that need good home it just doesnt make sense to have one cloned!! They could have spent that money saving so many more dogs and done some good. Anyway that just my :2cents:!