Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

If you’re too young for a cane---take a golf putter!

Dee-O-Gee
January 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Tonight, Gryphon (sounds like Griffin) my English Springer Spaniel and I had the scare of our lives!!

He and I bundled up to go out for a walk. Around the corner and 2 houses up from where we live, I was "commanded" by this lady to turn around as she was outside with her Rottweiler looking dog--running loose! She started yelling the dog’s name and I immediately turned back towards my block--:loser:.

We continue our journey in amongst our own neighborhood and were trying to make my way back home—he on his leash and me with a plastic goodie/waste bag in hand!

I had no intentions of trying to walk past this house again and chose to turn up a different block. Well this lady wasn't very bright in that her dog was still running loose and it charged a whole block up to us! Gryphon and I showed no fear. I tightened his lead and we calmly continued to walk our way home. He seemed fine for the rest of our journey however; I did not fare as well--I was very shaken up.

Very dear friends of ours (a neighbor) had their beautiful Schnauzer attacked by a pit bull when he was a puppy. Poor little guy was torn apart and spent hours in surgery and came out with close to 400 stitches. Fortunately—he pulled through and is now pushing close to 12 years old. He's an absolute :angel:

This friend of ours is too young for a cane however; is a very avid golfer. We see him daily; walking up the street, just him, his beloved dog and a putter.

I'm thinking that I should call our local SPCA and lodge a complaint. If this lady can't trust her own dog then it will be only a matter of time when something really terrible happens.

I just want to clarify that under any circumstance, this thread is not intended to advise members to use a golf putter to harm or hurt an unwanted 4 legged perpetrator. If my intentions where to advise such, I would have suggested a driver rather than a putter. Just a putter for your protection :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
January 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
The next time you see the dog loose call animal control, there is high chance any dog running loose will either get hit by a car or could chase someone not as dog knowledgeable/savvy as you who may start to run.

Dee-O-Gee
January 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks Growler. It was a very scary experience. I spoke with our local SPCA today and told them of my situation. They said they would pay this person a visit.

babymomma
January 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Ive got to tell ya, This lady sounds like an idiot! Of course the dog is going to run out to you! If keely was off leash and a dog walked by she would probably run after it (She is protective at first, then just wants to go play) lol.. Stupid people annoy the heck outta me!:frustrated:

growler~GateKeeper
January 29th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I've been in a similar situation as you were I however did not get a warning - out walking my dog minding my own business when a neighbours uncontrollable Rottie was off leash in a school yard she came running across the road nearly getting hit by a car, and attacked my dog & me when I got between them. The lady seriously can not control her dog on leash, definately has no business having her dog off leash certainly not in a unsecured area. It was not the first time this dog was off leash & ran up to us but she had not shown aggression the other time.

After filing a formal complaint with Animal Control & showing them both my dogs wounds & my stitches, the lady was paid a home visit & has a complaint on file against her & her dog, if she attacks again or is picked up off leash they have her history.

I'm glad you two were both okay :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
January 29th, 2009, 11:50 PM
It's scary any time you are approached by an aggressive uncontrolled dog. :eek: I'm glad you and Gryphon were okay. :grouphug: Did Gryphon react at all or just ignore the other dog?

angeldogs
January 30th, 2009, 02:51 AM
That would be scary and it's good neither of you were hurt.and it was a good thing you called in a complaint.some owners just don't have any common sence letting a dog they can't control off leash to do what it wants.

Dee-O-Gee
January 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
It's scary any time you are approached by an aggressive uncontrolled dog. :eek: I'm glad you and Gryphon were okay. :grouphug: Did Gryphon react at all or just ignore the other dog?

I kinda prepared us as we were approaching the block before this house. I tightened up the lead on the leash so he was walking directly next to my right knee/leg and fortunately Gryphon never reacted to the dog's agressiveness and just ignored it. :thumbs up

Gryphon LOVES other dogs but I think he was actually scared when this one approached him. He never turned his head and just walked forward with me (bumping into my right leg). :lightbulb:

cell
January 30th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I've known people who walked with big walking sticks with their dogs just in case another loose dog got too close. Its not so much about carrying a potential weapon it is more of a psychological tool, if you feel more confident carrying something, then go for it, the more confident you are in yourself the less likely you need to use it.

Karin
January 30th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I walk with a putter for the very same reason. My neighbors have a vicious pit bull mix, and they have warning signs nailed to their pasture fence acknowledging they have a bad dog but they still let him roam. The "bubba factor" is really strong where I live.
This dog chased me to my car last year and that was my final straw. I called animal control.
I gave my report to the officer all the while we were watching this dog chasing a kid on horseback riding along the road.
The officer said he was going over there to talk with the people and he doesn't have to use my name since there was no contact. I told him to feel free to use my name because if this keeps up, I want them to know who killed their dog, and if I get bit...I will own their property too. I watched as the officer pulled in their driveway, got out and the same dog went for him too.
No problem since, they even went as far as getting the "invisible fence" and training for the dog.
Now I see this dog has taken up chasing their own horses into the fences for sport.
It's that bubba thing going on. ( Same dog rides on the tool box in back of the truck too)
This dog has terrorized this neighborhood long before I moved here and he's a cat killer too.
The putter does make a good cane btw!