Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help im not sure

ilovepits
January 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
hi im new and would like some help please
i was given my dog in july of this year from a friend of mine
who couldnt handle him they got him from ths so he already had some issues they were also really mean to him but now that hes here he is a really good boy ( most of the time ) so what i would like to know is when i make fast movements inside the house or outside he almost drops to the ground because he is scared and i feel really bad for him i tell him im not going to hit him and tell him hes agood boy while patting him then he is fine but im wondering if this will ever go away or is he scared for life i do not think this is something bad and am not going to ever give him away but i want him to know that he will not be hurt by me he is one of the best dogs i have ever had he take comands from my children 4 and 6 which i have never owned a dog who would drop food when told by a child can anyone help with this one or will it go away with time

BenMax
January 28th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Welcome and thank you for taking this bright little soul.

When the dog hits the floor - ignor it! If you re-inforce by coddling the dog it will not help him understand that you mean no harm. When he does this - re-direct his state of mind by using his favourite toy. Throw it and make him bring it back to you.

Trust me - this type of behaviour can be cured.:)

ilovepits
January 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
im going to give it a good try but if you could just see how sad he looks i know its sad hes got me love struck lol thanx

lUvMyLaB<3
January 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM
but if you coddle a dog when they act insecure it reinforces it, just go on about ur business, then he will know there is nothing to worry about, and no reason to act that way.. good luck!!

BenMax
January 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
im going to give it a good try but if you could just see how sad he looks i know its sad hes got me love struck lol thanx

That is a normal animal loving instinct - however it will not help him.

browniesmom
January 28th, 2009, 05:37 PM
It will go away But not for a long while He will eventually Realize that He doesn't get hit anymore.
When he's older He might remember it sometimes.